New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Hi,

I'm planning to replace my existing spare mag tire to a donut tire to save some space in the trunk. Are there things to consider before doing this? What are the advantage and disadvantage of using a donut tire?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_celiz09 View Post
    Hi,

I'm planning to replace my existing spare mag tire to a donut tire to save some space in the trunk. Are there things to consider before doing this? What are the advantage and disadvantage of using a donut tire?
    donut tires are intended to enable the vehicle to "limp over" to the fixit shop, so's the regular tire can be fixed and re-mounted.
    they are smaller than the regular tire, and are thus not as robust. they are not designed for long-term use, but only to enable the car to be driven to the repair center. also, if they are slightly smaller than regular tires, they might adversely affect the car's driveability during extremes, i.e., unbalanced forces might tend to pull the car to the side... they are also not so photogenic..
    they were really designed so as not to occupy too much space in the trunk.

my question to you is, do you really need all that extra space that a donut will generate?
    might i inquire, what is your car?
    Last edited by dr. d; February 15th, 2014 at 03:21 PM.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Where can I buy donut tires?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

4. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    donut tires are intended to enable the vehicle to "limp over" to the fixit shop, so's the regular tire can be fixed and re-mounted.
    they are smaller than the regular tire, and are thus not as robust. they are not designed for long-term use, but only to enable the car to be driven to the repair center. also, if they are slightly smaller than regular tires, they might adversely affect the car's driveability during extremes, i.e., unbalanced forces might tend to pull the car to the side... they are also not so photogenic..
    they were really designed so as not to occupy too much space in the trunk.

my question to you is, do you really need all that extra space that a donut will generate?
    might i inquire, what is your car?
    I have a honda civic 97 car. It has no trunk tray installed and I want to make one from plywood. The thing is, the regular spare tire is overlapping the height of the majority trunk floor space, meaning if I place a trunk tray, it would stick to the spare tire and will leave an uneven fit. That is actually my reason.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by EQAddict View Post
    Where can I buy donut tires?

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

I see donut tires from car surplus shops around our area. I think your local car surplus shop has too.

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_celiz09 View Post
    I have a honda civic 97 car. It has no trunk tray installed and I want to make one from plywood. The thing is, the regular spare tire is overlapping the height of the majority trunk floor space, meaning if I place a trunk tray, it would stick to the spare tire and will leave an uneven fit. That is actually my reason.
    Other than what dr. d said, if your ride is a city dweller, with access to a tire shop or a shop that can repair flats, then there's a factor to go for it. If, however, you take your ride on long drives regularly, methinks the chances of needing the spare are bigger and the chances of getting to a tire repair shop are smaller, so the risk becomes greater. Thankfully, I've not had to change a tire while out on a road trip, though I'd think twice about having a small spare that didn't originally come with the car when that far out.