New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Jul 2004
    bigger tires will put more load on your tie rods and other steering mechanisms in the front, hence, more rapid wear and tear of these parts

i don't know about the effect on the suspension system but there should be also

likewise, brake pads and rotors can also be affected but as to how much, i am not sure, since larger tires may require more braking power and load

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by spotdog11 View Post
    It is usually the control arm that hits the dirt or sometimes stones when we drive in hacienda roads where loaded trucks pass. The middle part of this type of road is a lot higher than the sides where the tires roll. I always thought that putting taller tires is the main thing that would increase ground clearance of the control arm. Is this not correct? Is there a better option?
    Depends. What's the vehicle? If your problem is the road, raising the suspension itself might be a better solution, but that has its own problems if you raise it outside the normal range of suspension articulation. I've seen some lifted vehicles with pretty bad positive camber from over-lifting.

If it's that bad, your only resort may be to go for a full mud-tire and lift upgrade. Or, if you're not driving a pick-up or SUV... a full-on vehicle upgrade.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Depends. What's the vehicle? If your problem is the road, raising the suspension itself might be a better solution, but that has its own problems if you raise it outside the normal range of suspension articulation. I've seen some lifted vehicles with pretty bad positive camber from over-lifting.

If it's that bad, your only resort may be to go for a full mud-tire and lift upgrade. Or, if you're not driving a pick-up or SUV... a full-on vehicle upgrade.
    I normally drive a 1990(estimate) hilux with 33 mud tires when going to the farm and it has no problem with the terrain. However, I recently bought a montero sport and once in a while I like to drive it also to the farm. After all, the farm paid for it, hehehe. Currently, I have the stock tires but I was planning to change it to taller tires when the stock tires expire but after reading this thread, I have second thoughts. Perhaps I will just wait until Im capable of replacing the old hilux since it drives like a tank on rough roads. Maybe a used newer model hilux or strada would have an improved ride.

OT: The montero sport feels like a limousine when I transfer coming from the old hilux, hehehe.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Ah. Mud tires work on a Montero Sport, but you can also get it lifted... though no doubt the creamy ride will go out the window if you do the lift. I've seen some pretty nice off-road builds for the Strada that should work with the Monty.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
switching to a bigger tire