New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    I've seen some cars sport 17's and 18's, I'm a little curious as to how this affect the performance of a vehicle?

Ang pagkaintindi ko kasi mostly aesthetic lang ito. I even read somewhere na mas madali masira ang suspension mo with bigger rims since mas mabigat eto.

So, if meron man, aside from looks, ano pa ang additional benefits ng bigger rims na hindi mo makukuha sa stock rims?

Thanks guys!
    Last edited by 13cent; January 29th, 2010 at 11:38 AM. Reason: typo

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 13cent View Post
    I've seen some cars sport 17's and 18's, I'm a little curious as to how this affect the performance of a vehicle?

Ang pagkaintindi ko kasi mostly aesthetic lang ito. I even read somewhere na mas madali masira ang suspension mo with bigger rims since mas mabigat eto.

So, if meron man, aside from looks, ano pa ang additional benefits ng bigger rims na hindi mo makukuha sa stock rims?

Thanks guys!
    Pros and cons
    + Less squirm from the tire sidewall, because you're running tires with thinner sidewalls = better handling.
    + Wider contact patch, because you're running tires with wider tread area = better handling.
    + Good looks :p
    + Depending on construction, aftermarket wheels can be made stronger and with less weight.

- More rolling resistance = worse fuel economy, BUT it depends how heavy the wheel+tire combination is.
    - Tires are more expensive especially at 17" and up
    - More unsprung weight = worse fuel economy, can be harder on the suspension
    - Worse aquaplaning resistance due to wider tread area = slightly easier to slip in wet conditions
    - Less compliance of tire due to thinner sidewall = ride quality can suffer

Question regarder Bigger Rims