New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Sep 2015
    even premium tires have a failure rate. remember firestone? di porket mamahalin maganda na

2. Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskelion68 View Post
    even premium tires have a failure rate. remember firestone? di porket mamahalin maganda na
    Lahat naman sir nang products have lemons and i'm not saying na yun best ang bilhin i'm just saying na don't go TOO CHEAP on tires. If you can afford a better set it's better to buy them instead of the cheaper ones. I've seen accidents because the tires blew up in star toll and it's not a pretty sight. Running fast in the heat of the day blew his front tires and turned turtle. I just want motorist to be aware that it's not just a tire. Your life depends on it.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Get the ones with the latest manufacturing date. No older than one year from your date of purchase.

Suggestions for cheap tires:
    1) Accelera Phi (not Phi R) - good comfort, excellent road noise, average braking, good dry grip, average wet grip
    2) Achilles 2233 - average comfort, below average road noise, average braking, excellent dry grip, below average wet grip
    3) Sailun Atrezzo ZSR - good comfort, good road noise, good braking, good dry grip, average wet grip

All these tires have excellent tread wear and will easily last over 20,000++ km. Would honestly buy high-end models of cheaper tire brands than low-end models of more expensive tire brands. I've used low-end models such as the Bridgestone Ecopia and Falken Ziex from well known tire brands and would honestly stick with the higher-end models of certain budget brands. Kind of like buying a smartphone. The low-end Samsungs are bad, only the high-end models are good. For the price of a low or mid-range Samsung, I'd rather buy a Huawei or Sony. Cheaper and just better specs for the same price.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    ^ good point bro

aside from the budget friendly tires mentioned previously, you can also add the likes of turkish made petlas and indonesian brands delium and neuton tires. i've heard good things about them

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

^ good point bro

aside from the budget friendly tires mentioned previously, you can also add the likes of turkish made petlas and indonesian brands delium and neuton tires. i've heard good things about them

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Triskelion68 View Post
    It's more of an exception, rather than the rule. The two main causes of the high failure rates were; a) Ford, recommended lowering the tire pressure to 26 PSI. Low pressure overheated the tires, and b) Tread separation due, to a certain extent, to Firestone's faulty manufacturing, and which was made much worse with the low PSI pressure specified by Ford at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kestana View Post
    Get the ones with the latest manufacturing date. No older than one year from your date of purchase.

Suggestions for cheap tires:
    1) Accelera Phi (not Phi R) - good comfort, excellent road noise, average braking, good dry grip, average wet grip
    2) Achilles 2233 - average comfort, below average road noise, average braking, excellent dry grip, below average wet grip
    3) Sailun Atrezzo ZSR - good comfort, good road noise, good braking, good dry grip, average wet grip

All these tires have excellent tread wear and will easily last over 20,000++ km. Would honestly buy high-end models of cheaper tire brands than low-end models of more expensive tire brands. I've used low-end models such as the Bridgestone Ecopia and Falken Ziex from well known tire brands and would honestly stick with the higher-end models of certain budget brands. Kind of like buying a smartphone. The low-end Samsungs are bad, only the high-end models are good. For the price of a low or mid-range Samsung, I'd rather buy a Huawei or Sony. Cheaper and just better specs for the same price.
    Getting a measly 20,000++ (even 30,000) km from those Chinese tires doesn't seem to make them economical. My previous car still had its OEM tires after 77,000 km and 7.5 years. The tires are entry-level Yokohama A.Drives. Based on the remaining tread, it would probably last another 10-20k km if tire age wasn't an issue. Maintenance involves keeping the pressure within spec (32 PSI) every other week. I'm just saying that you might as well spend a bit more money on GOOD tires and coupled with frequent maintenance, it should last you more than twice the life of Chinese tires.
    Last edited by oj88; September 12th, 2015 at 06:38 PM.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Getting a measly 20,000++ (even 30,000) km from those Chinese tires doesn't seem to make them economical. My previous car still had its OEM tires after 77,000 km and 7.5 years. The tires are entry-level Yokohama A.Drives. Based on the remaining tread, it would probably last another 10-20k km if tire age wasn't an issue. Maintenance involves keeping the pressure within spec (32 PSI) every other week. I'm just saying that you might as well spend a bit more money on GOOD tires and coupled with frequent maintenance, it should last you more than twice the life of Chinese tires.
    I'm sorry. I mistyped on my numpad. I actually meant 50,000++, not 20,000++. Majority of these Asian tires are rated at a very high 400 to 420 for tread wear. Also, among the brands I listed both Achilles and Accelera are from Indonesia. Sailun is from China.

I've had it with low-end models from major tire brands that came with our cars. They're inferior to the "high-end" models from budget brands that replaced them. The Goodyear Duraplus that came with my Swift? Noisy as hell and didn't have enough grip during tight cornering. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP200 on my Soul? Noisy as hell, rode like **** and had abysmal braking in the wet. The Bridgestone Dueler H/T on our RAV4? Fairly noisy and rode like ****, but had fairly good grip. I could go on and perhaps the only low-end model I liked from major brands was the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 which came on our previous gen Altis. Fairly quiet, good ride and above average performance all around. These low-end models never excel at anything, maybe except fuel economy due to low rolling resistance (a common trait of eco tires). The range-toppers on budget brands which go for around the same price as the low-ends from major brands manage to do very at a few things, such as comfort, ride quality, dry grip, etc. If you wanted tires that excelled in all aspects, you'd be looking at upper mid-range or high-end tires from major brands. i.e. Continental Sport Contact, Michellin Pilot Sport. There's a high baseline for all aspects with these models, but not all of us are willing to pay over 10,000 Php per tire (at smaller, more common sizes). Some of us just want a comfortable ride, or good dry grip for burning rubber on track days. The budget tire brands offer something to satisfy those needs without the premium price.

For instance, I replaced my 19" tires recently and I wanted more comfortable ones than my previous Bridgestone RE050A. I looked for comfort-oriented tires from major brands. I found the Michelin Primacy 3 (quoted just under 20K/tire) and Pirelli P Zero (quoted 22K/tire). My car doesn't produce over 300 HP. I just want good comfort and I don't really need all the extra performance of these expensive tires. So I ended up with an Accelera for a much more palatable 5.9K/tire which is nearly just as quiet and as comfortable as your typical Conti Sport Contact. Doesn't grip as well because of the hard compound on the Accelera, but definitely grips and brakes better than than the RE050A with 2 mm tread left it replaced and the Ecopia before that, even at full tread life.

My point is you have to pay a pretty penny to get a tire model from a major brand that excels at a certain criteria. Not all of us are willing to pay, sometimes for obvious reasons. Why do I need to shell out big bucks for the latest Michelin Primacy when I just want to be more comfortable in traffic? Or, why do I need to buy the latest Conti Sport Contact when I just want great dry grip on track days?

I understand your point of longevity through religious maintenance of tires from reputable tire brands. But face it, a nail or pothole doesn't differentiate between a 5K Php Achilles and a 30K Php top-of-the-line Michelin. Besides, most people forget that tires are something you replace. They're consumables that should be replaced after a few years regardless how little it's been used. I'd rather be driving around in a cheap, eco tire at full tread life than be driving around in a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 with 1 or 2 mm tread left.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2015
    I'm sorry. I mistyped on my numpad. I actually meant 50,000++, not 20,000++. Majority of these Asian tires are rated at a very high 400 to 420 for tread wear. Also, among the brands I listed both Achilles and Accelera are from Indonesia. Sailun is from China.

I've had it with low-end models from major tire brands that came with our cars. They're inferior to the "high-end" models from budget brands that replaced them. The Goodyear Duraplus that came with my Swift? Noisy as hell and didn't have enough grip during tight cornering. The Bridgestone Ecopia EP200 on my Soul? Noisy as hell, rode like **** and had abysmal braking in the wet. The Bridgestone Dueler H/T on our RAV4? Fairly noisy and rode like ****, but had fairly good grip. I could go on and perhaps the only low-end model I liked from major brands was the Bridgestone Turanza ER300 which came on our previous gen Altis. Fairly quiet, good ride and above average performance all around. These low-end models never excel at anything, maybe except fuel economy due to low rolling resistance (a common trait of eco tires). The range-toppers on budget brands which go for around the same price as the low-ends from major brands manage to do very at a few things, such as comfort, ride quality, dry grip, etc. If you wanted tires that excelled in all aspects, you'd be looking at upper mid-range or high-end tires from major brands. i.e. Continental Sport Contact, Michellin Pilot Sport. There's a high baseline for all aspects with these models, but not all of us are willing to pay over 10,000 Php per tire (at smaller, more common sizes). Some of us just want a comfortable ride, or good dry grip for burning rubber on track days. The budget tire brands offer something to satisfy those needs without the premium price.

For instance, I replaced my 19" tires recently and I wanted more comfortable ones than my previous Bridgestone RE050A. I looked for comfort-oriented tires from major brands. I found the Michelin Primacy 3 (quoted just under 20K/tire) and Pirelli P Zero (quoted 22K/tire). My car doesn't produce over 300 HP. I just want good comfort and I don't really need all the extra performance of these expensive tires. So I ended up with an Accelera for a much more palatable 5.9K/tire which is nearly just as quiet and as comfortable as your typical Conti Sport Contact. Doesn't grip as well because of the hard compound on the Accelera, but definitely grips and brakes better than than the RE050A with 2 mm tread left it replaced and the Ecopia before that, even at full tread life.

My point is you have to pay a pretty penny to get a tire model from a major brand that excels at a certain criteria. Not all of us are willing to pay, sometimes for obvious reasons. Why do I need to shell out big bucks for the latest Michelin Primacy when I just want to be more comfortable in traffic? Or, why do I need to buy the latest Conti Sport Contact when I just want great dry grip on track days?

I understand your point of longevity through religious maintenance of tires from reputable tire brands. But face it, a nail or pothole doesn't differentiate between a 5K Php Achilles and a 30K Php top-of-the-line Michelin. Besides, most people forget that tires are something you replace. They're consumables that should be replaced after a few years regardless how little it's been used. I'd rather be driving around in a cheap, eco tire at full tread life than be driving around in a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 with 1 or 2 mm tread left.
    Nice read sir. +1 on this.

I can say good about the accelera phis too. I also got 19s (225/40) for 6k/piece and honestly say that it's bang for the buck! Went to Tanayburgring yesterday from our fun run and even with these budget tires, it didn't perform like cheap crap tires.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I'm sorry. I mistyped on my numpad. I actually meant 50,000++, not 20,000++. Majority of these Asian tires are rated at a very high 400 to 420 for tread wear. Also, among the brands I listed both Achilles and Accelera are from Indonesia. Sailun is from China....
    50,000 km seems about right. Appreciate the clarification.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_S View Post
    Nice read sir. +1 on this.

I can say good about the accelera phis too. I also got 19s (225/40) for 6k/piece and honestly say that it's bang for the buck! Went to Tanayburgring yesterday from our fun run and even with these budget tires, it didn't perform like cheap crap tires.
    I have the Accelera Phi (not Phi-R) at 235/40/R19. Very good comfort even at high tire pressure. I'm running 35 PSI on all four tires. Definitely less grip and braking performance than the Potenza RE050A it replaced when the RE050A had over 5 mm left, but the Phis are noticeably more quiet and comfortable. Lateral grip on the Phis is also nearly as good as on the RE050A. I'm happy with the trade-offs considering the price difference. The RE050A is a UHP summer tire and is considered an upper mid-range model from Bridgestone which would cost nearly 20K/tire at 19" sizes.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    When choosing tires it is also important to check the thread wear or tW-- should be hingher than 380.. And temperature Traction should be rated A

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12