New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    OT, but talking about spare tires, I keep mine over-inflated to 45 psi (normal is 30 psi), i read or saw this somewhere, and i think it's meant to keep the pressure longer because it's rarely checked.
    i'd also like to do this.
    but my fear is that over-inflation might cause premature tire failure.
    so what i do is add 3 psi only.

2. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post
    Tires have a max recommended PSI on their sidewall. This is a very conservative number cuz tires can actually still go much higher than the max PSI indicated, but if you wanna overinflate, that's a good number to start with.

You can also inflate the tire with pure N2 so that it loses pressure slower than your usual 78% N2 air. Make sure to have a tire valve cap too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Aside from visible exposed steel cords, look out for a short pencil shaped bulge at the sidewall. It may or may not appear at once. If it is there it will eventually become a bigger slug shaped bulge and burst.
    Ahh, none of those exposed cords anywhere. So... whew.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    You won't really need a new spare, you can keep your rotation with just 4 tires and keep the spare for the next 5 years (just replace it after that, or never drive fast if you're using the spare).

Touring tires like the Duraplus fitted on the Ertiga usually last about 40-50,000 km. So you're still quite a long way from replacing. Since you rotate tires, I would expect that all 4 tires would all be due for replace at the same time instead of just per pair - that's what I experienced with my car since I rotate tires every 10,000 km. The rear tires were slightly thicker and were probably good for another 5,000 km but I prefer to replace all 4 at the same time.

Oh, I don't. Well that is a relief. 3-5k din natipid ko dun.

Sent from my ASUS_T00J using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    This is what a hidden broken steel cord looks like:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tire_defect_sidewall.jpg  

6. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Doc, my recommended tire pressure is 30, but I always fill it with 35 hehe..

Quote Originally Posted by dr. d View Post

7. Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Question how long is the lifespan of tires if rarely use? In terms of years? Let say you rarely use the car. How long before you change your tires? Thanks sa sasagot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by asamante View Post
    Question how long is the lifespan of tires if rarely use? In terms of years? Let say you rarely use the car. How long before you change your tires? Thanks sa sasagot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    6 years. How to Know when Car Tires Need Replacing: 1 Steps

9. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    This is what a hidden broken steel cord looks like:
    sira pala pag ganyan. akala ko parang dugtong lang. thanks for sharing bro.

10. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by ninjababez View Post
    sira pala pag ganyan. akala ko parang dugtong lang. thanks for sharing bro.
    I forgot to mention it is usually pencil shaped and the direction radially outward from the center of the tire. It normally progresses to something like this before it blows out:

Normally a carcass nylon or steel cord is cut by a puncture in the tread area. If there is an abrasion on the sidewall surface where the bubble is, it is probably a separation instead of a broken carcass cord. Both are unsafe to use.

Some people don't know that the only safe area you can repair a tire is the crown area. Repairs done to the shoulder area to anywhere below down to the bead and you are asking for trouble.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123