New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    My tires are due for replacement and I'm looking for new tires that best suit my needs. I drive 30,000 km a year, most of which is expressway/provincial driving. I regularly drive spiritedly and enjoy twisty roads, but I try to drive gently as much as I can. I also attend 2-3 track days a year.

I currently have the Achilles 2233, which has lasted me 42,000 km including track use. I've had no complaints with its performance in daily driving and even the occasional mountain road. It doesn't do very well on the track though, and is a bit noisy on the highway. Am looking to upgrade to a more established brand that offers more grip and comfort without sacrificing durability too much.

After several days of research, I've narrowed my choices down to 3 tires:

1. GT Radial Champiro SX2
    - P5,900 each
    - 200 treadwear rating
    - Extreme performance tire, suited for track use but can also double for daily driver duties

2. Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39
    - P5,500 each
    - 280 treadwear rating
    - Ultra high performance tire, for more spirited driving compared to touring tires

3. Yokohama BluEarth-A AE50
    - P5,500 each
    - 320 treadwear rating
    - Touring tire, designed for everyday driving with an emphasis on comfort and durability

The GT SX2 is renowned in racing circles as the best-value track day tire that you can still use on a daily basis. It has phenomenal grip compared to UHPs and touring tires, and would certainly improve lap times and make carving mountain roads easier. Unlike other extreme performance tires, the SX2 is affordable, has good grip in the wet, and is pretty durable. However, even as a long-wearing track tire, it still won't match the longevity of a good UHP or touring tire. They say it's good for about 25,000 km, which won't even last me a year. Also, as a track tire, it's pretty noisy for daily use. If I had a weekend car like a Miata, no doubt this would be my first choice, but for a daily driver like my Altis, I'm not sure if it's the ideal option.

The Yokohama BluEarth is on the other end of the spectrum - it's a touring tire designed for regular driving. It will definitely last me at least 40,000 km like my current set of tires, and it's quiet and comfortable as well. However, it's not exactly the most inspiring tire to use for spirited driving on twisty roads, much less the track. That said, I've survived with my low-end Achilles touring tires, so this is still somewhat of an upgrade. Another factor is that this is a Yokohama (though made in the PH). It's a low-end Japanese model going against high-end Korean and Indonesian tires.

The Kumho Ecsta lies somewhere in the middle of the SX2 and BluEarth. It's still good for daily driver duties and I'm confident I can get at least 30,000 km from it. It's definitely grippier than the Yokohama, but surely not as good as the SX2. For a UHP, it's pretty quiet too. It's certainly more suited for spirited driving, and I think it can hold its own for occasional track days as well.

Thoughts? [emoji5]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Since the car will be primarily used a daily driver but with some spirited driving plus a few track days, the Kumho KU39 will be the best choice.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    Since the car will be primarily used a daily driver but with some spirited driving plus a few track days, the Kumho KU39 will be the best choice.
    Playing devil's advocate, why not the SX2? It's definitely more suited for spirited driving, and compared to all other track tires, it's known to be durable. It might lose out 5,000 km or so compared to a UHP, but that's just 2 months worth of driving.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Playing devil's advocate, why not the SX2? It's definitely more suited for spirited driving, and compared to all other track tires, it's known to be durable. It might lose out 5,000 km or so compared to a UHP, but that's just 2 months worth of driving.
    I am merely suggesting the practical or reasonable option. However, a spirited driver will always opt for the sportier option. Who wouldn't want more grip on your daily commute?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I am merely suggesting the practical or reasonable option. However, a spirited driver will always opt for the sportier option. Who wouldn't want more grip on your daily commute?
    Great question bro. How much grip is really necessary? I reviewed my daily drives - EDSA traffic, NLEX cruising, overtaking on provincial roads, tackling corners at higher than usual speed. This kind of driving doesn't seem to necessitate the highest grip available - anything higher than normal is already a tangible improvement.

I've been leaning towards the KU39 but I was just wondering if there was any compelling reason to sway towards the track tire or touring tire.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sometimes, thinking too much on coming up with a decision (analysis paralysis) can be stressful and counter-productive. A decision based off instinct or gut feeling can be rewarding.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    I'd choose the Kumhos as well. Another concern for me is tire carcass durability. Unfortunately only users with past experience with the tires can vouch for them here. Past GT's in general were prone to road hazard induced separations. The new generation GT's look a lot better though, specially in the tread area. The GT Savero SUVs we tested in their event were much grippier than the last gen Montero's OEM Yokohamas for example. We couldn't smoke them from standstill. But only actual use will tell if they hold up well against things like potholes.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    What's the tire size?

I'm biased towards Yokos as they've proven to be very reliable for me. Have you even considered the A.Drive R1 AR01? The 205/55R16 costs a little over 4k at Lazada. Should be cheaper on the street.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    What's the tire size?

I'm biased towards Yokos as they've proven to be very reliable for me. Have you even considered the A.Drive R1 AR01? The 205/55R16 costs a little over 4k at Lazada. Should be cheaper on the street.
    I think Jut is using 225/40R18 for his car, based on his other post.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Sometimes, thinking too much on coming up with a decision (analysis paralysis) can be stressful and counter-productive. A decision based off instinct or gut feeling can be rewarding.
    I'm a very analytical person so I really do tend to overthink, especially for purchases. [emoji23]

Gave myself until tomorrow to buy, so I can end this madness. [emoji23]

Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    I'd choose the Kumhos as well. Another concern for me is tire carcass durability. Unfortunately only users with past experience with the tires can vouch for them here. Past GT's in general were prone to road hazard induced separations. The new generation GT's look a lot better though, specially in the tread area. The GT Savero SUVs we tested in their event were much grippier than the last gen Montero's OEM Yokohamas for example. We couldn't smoke them from standstill. But only actual use will tell if they hold up well against things like potholes.
    The GT SX2 is their top-tier tire, often regarded as overbuilt, so I have no worries about its construction. However, being a track tire, it will naturally wear quicker and make more noise as it sticks to the road more.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    What's the tire size?

AR01 is 7k each for 225/40R18. Hard to find though nowadays, as my friend who distributes Yokohamas couldn't find stocks for my size.

The R1 is also a pretty old tire, not to mention that it's marketed even by Yokohama as merely an entry-level performance tire. On the other hand, the Ecsta LE Sport KU39 is just one tier below the Ecsta XS KU36, which is Kumho's track tire already.

Reliability-wise, no doubt the BluEarth won't disappoint. But if I could get more grip for the same price without severely compromising noise and durability, I'd gladly take it.

Another thing that makes me interested with the KU39 is that it just costs 5.5k from GTD Banawe, while other sellers price it at 7k so I kinda feel like I'm getting a bargain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jut703; October 26th, 2016 at 07:03 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast