New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Guys, I need some advice...

I haven't been really paying attention to the steel rims that my pickup is sporting until i tried using wider tires...from 205 r16 to 235/70/r16...steering got a lil bit heavier and a bit more sluggish acceleration which i guess are all normal. Now, my question is...how much heavier are steel rims compared to alloy ones? And would changing to alloys lessen the load and perhaps improve steering and acceleration? any response would be highly appreciated

thanks!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    i think its because of the wider footprint of your new 235 size tires, thats why your steering got heavy and sluggish acceleration. wider tires = higher fuel consumption but improved grip and handling.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    kase yon po ang sabi sakin ng tire vendor when i gave him my comment about the new tires...one of the reasons den daw yung rim ko na mabigat...he advised changing it to alloys...so meron ba improvement kung palitan ko ang rim since mas magaan daw and lloys? thanks!=)

4. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    mababawasan sluggish acceleration mo IF talagang malaki ang gaan ng alloy sa steel rims mo, have it weighed nalang hehe

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    steel talga is heavier. yung improvement in acceleration will be more subjective....some people will find the improvement significant while others will no difference but for sure there will be an improvement.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Alloys will give you at most a 5-15 pounds per wheel weight reduction. But the biggest advantage will be in terms of handling. Depending on the width of your stock steelies, alloys may give you a footprint advantage of 1/2 - 1" laterally, also improving ride and stability in the process.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    thanks for the inputs! they were all very helpful.im on the lookout now for OEM rims. =)

8. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    i went from allow to steel, i was quicker and the handling got more responsive but i also had to go a little slower on the turns-sanayan lang yan

i did notice instead of fillin up every 1.5 weeks i now fill up every 2-2.5 weeks, hindi ko lang alam kung sa tires yan

in any case i went from: 275/60/16 -- 245/70/16 to 205/70/16--i actually prefer the smaller tire size, mas mura rin hehe-

9. Join Date
    Jun 2005
    the ride was much better since my suspension was designed for the steel rims, match yung ride, with the old alloys na bigger and wider, ride was bouncy and you felt all the lubak it seemed

baliktad kasi ako, my paj had ralliart mags when i bought it, i put the old white na steel, para old school ang dating-am much happier now not to mention savings in future tire purhcases

when am done with the pajero i will post pics, it will not look like any pajero you have seen or actually, you may have seen 10 years ago, ask josephA--aliw na aliw siya sa concept hehe

Changing from Steel to Alloy Wheels