New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 17 of 27 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I read more about the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39 and it turns out to be quite a good, quiet and grippy tire, as opposed to the feedback I got from one site that it isn't very grippy.

Might get that instead of the Yokohama BluEarth AE50 and GT SX2...hmm. Best Mid-Priced Tires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by jut703 View Post
    Bummer! I checked S&R Tire Center today and turns out they don't carry low profile tires for my size. Broad selection pa naman - Toyo DRB, Yoko BluEarth, Continental ContiComfort Contact, etc. All of them were in more pedestrian sizes.

Thanks bro, been reading about the Falken Ziex and Azenis, as well as the Hankook Ventus. Thing is, there are still a lot of variants of Ziex/Azenis/Ventus so it's quite tricky. Limited availability too as most tire shops focus on carrying budget brands.

It gets a bit confusing too as some touring tires perform better than some UHPs, then there are some Extreme performance tires that wear better than UHPs. So while these classifications are good general guidelines (Touring < UHP < Extreme < Semislick), it still helps to research about the specific tire model to be sure.

You should try joining one of the track days bro, not too intense naman. Join the time attack instead of the grid race so you can run at your own pace. The next one is in March I think.
    Can't do it bro. I don't want to risk it. It will be too much temptation not to go all out on the track. Maybe when the kids are bigger and I get better. I even forget my limitations sometimes on the road hehe.

I read more about the Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39 and it turns out to be quite a good, quiet and grippy tire, as opposed to the feedback I got from one site that it isn't very grippy.

Might get that instead of the Yokohama BluEarth AE50 and GT SX2...hmm. Best Mid-Priced Tires
    The AE50 has good reviews on a UK website, but nothing beats actual usage experience. The ones sold there might also be different from the ones here.

S&R display is great, you can pinch the sidewalls to feel the carcass stiffness and rub your thumb on the tread to get a feel of the grip. How are the prices though?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Wh1stl3r2 View Post
    Pirelli Scorpion ATR is my favorite all terrain tire. Quiet on the highway, grippy on and off road. Treadwear is fantastic. P rated sizes are very comfy.

BFG used to be good but I rarely see them anywhere now.
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    BF Goodrich
    Hehe ... OT tayo dito.

Both are top shelf brands ..

4. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Can't do it bro. I don't want to risk it. It will be too much temptation not to go all out on the track. Maybe when the kids are bigger and I get better. I even forget my limitations sometimes on the road hehe.

The AE50 has good reviews on a UK website, but nothing beats actual usage experience. The ones sold there might also be different from the ones here.

S&R display is great, you can pinch the sidewalls to feel the carcass stiffness and rub your thumb on the tread to get a feel of the grip. How are the prices though?
    The track will always be there waiting for you. 👍

Yes the AE50 is a good all-rounder tire, but it's not a performance tire - it's marketed for comfort, reliability, and fuel economy. The KU39 on the other hand is a higher-end tire with more grip. The KU39 is also a quiet tire despite its sporty orientation. The only advantage of the AE50 is that it's Yokohama while the KU39 is only Kumho.

I checked out the AE50 last night at S&R and it really does look like an ordinary tire compared to the KU39 which has a more sophisticated and aggressive tread pattern. One thing I don't like with Kumho Ecstas is that their sidewalls are too chunky even if they have the same tire size. 225/40R18 looks like 225/45R18.

Pricing at S&R is a bit on the high side, around 500-1000 per tire.

Sent from my SM-N910C using Tapatalk

5. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    The track will always be there waiting for you. 👍

Yes the AE50 is a good all-rounder tire, but it's not a performance tire - it's marketed for comfort, reliability, and fuel economy. The KU39 on the other hand is a higher-end tire with more grip. The KU39 is also a quiet tire despite its sporty orientation. The only advantage of the AE50 is that it's Yokohama while the KU39 is only Kumho.

I checked out the AE50 last night at S&R and it really does look like an ordinary tire compared to the KU39 which has a more sophisticated and aggressive tread pattern. One thing I don't like with Kumho Ecstas is that their sidewalls are too chunky even if they have the same tire size. 225/40R18 looks like 225/45R18.

Pricing at S&R is a bit on the high side, around 500-1000 per tire.

I'm always hopeful. Might come in handy come midlife crisis time. Hehe.

The Kumhos look like they might be noisier. So many choices! Sorry I can't help you, it'd be hard for me to choose as well.

Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    Hehe ... OT tayo dito.

Both are top shelf brands ..
    Uy sorry naman. Not sure if these are still priced "mid-range" but I also like these 2 a/t tires:

Hankook Dynapro ATM

Cooper Discoverer A/T 3

6. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    I'm always hopeful. Might come in handy come midlife crisis time. Hehe.

The Kumhos look like they might be noisier. So many choices! Sorry I can't help you, it'd be hard for me to choose as well.

Uy sorry naman. Not sure if these are still priced "mid-range" but I also like these 2 a/t tires:
    Most reviews of the Kumho KU39 say that it's surprisingly quiet. Been reading quite a lot about it and a lot of Euro car owners (E46, Golf, etc) are raving about it. At 5.6k each, seems very cheap. Closest thing Yokohama offers is the R1 which is 7k each, while the Bridgestone Potenza RE003 is 9k each (although a much grippier tire).

On the topic of "midrange", it really depends on who you ask. Some people think that GT and Federal are midrange because their idea of budget tires are Chinese brands of unknown origin.

Personally I'd say Korean brands like Hankook and Kumho are midrange, along with a few Jap brands like Toyo and Falken.

Yokohama, Goodyear, Bridgestone, Dunlop, and Continental are generally more expensive, but it depends on the model of course; Ecopias and BluEarths will still be cheaper than Toyo Proxes or Falken Azenis.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    The last time I inquired at Bridgestone (along Pasong Tamo), they offered me a discount for the Turanza GR90 and Potenza Adrenalin. They can bring the price down to 7500 each if you buy a set of 4 tires.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    The last time I inquired at Bridgestone (along Pasong Tamo), they offered me a discount for the Turanza GR90 and Potenza Adrenalin. They can bring the price down to 7500 each if you buy a set of 4 tires.
    What size? Cheapest I got (3+1 promo) is 8.5k/tire for the Potenza Adrenalin RE003. 225/40R18. This is among 3 different dealers I called.

Turanza is cheaper than Potenza, and the GR90 doesn't come in my size.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2015
    What size? Cheapest I got (3+1 promo) is 8.5k/tire for the Potenza Adrenalin RE003. 225/40R18. This is among 3 different dealers I called.

Turanza is cheaper than Potenza, and the GR90 doesn't come in my size.

Agree with the tiers although some brands also have offerings that fall under different price points.

Turanza GR-90 is a touring tire, bet you won't like it. We used to have it in our Innova. Grip, quietness and comfort is really good though.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    To give buyers an idea on the pricing of different tire brands/models/categories, I'd like to share the info I gathered from a dozen different tire shops. All prices are for 225/40R18 tires.

Extreme Performance Tires: Great for track use, can be used daily but with compromised durability and noise

Yokohama Advan AD08R: P16,000
    GT Radial Champiro SX2: P5,900
    Achilles 123S: P4,400

Ultra High Performance Tires: Middle ground between track tires and street tires in terms of grip, durability, and noise

Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2: P12,550
    Bridgestone Potenza RE003: P8,400
    Michelin Pilot Sport 3: P9,400
    Dunlop Direzza DZ102: P8,500
    Kumho Ecsta LE Sport KU39: P5,500

High Performance Tires: A step up over touring tires when it comes to grip and handling

Goodyear Eagle F1 Directional 5: P10,370
    Toyo DRB: P6,800
    Continental MaxContact 5: P8,600
    Nitto NT555: P7,300
    Federal 595 Evo: P4,500

Touring Tires: Adequate for the daily drive, with emphasis on durability, comfort, and noise, not too much on cornering performance

Yokohama BluEarth-A AE50: P5,500
    Falken Ziex ZE912: P5,800
    Dunlop LM704: P6,400
    Achilles 2233: P3,300

😊