New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    A friend of mine has an Altis (current version). Its wheels are 14 inch, with 70 series 185 tires.

He is asking how big he can go. Technically, if he wants the same height with 17 inch wheels, he should use 40 series, 215 tires, right? Is this possible for his car without having any problems of the tire hitting anything? How about when turning the steering wheel to the max? Will the fatter tires rub anything inside the fender?

Does anyone have the same set-up, i.e. 17 inch wheels with 40 series, 215 tires? What is your feedback?

My friend is also thinking of having 17 inch wheels, fitted with 50 series, 215 tires in order that the rims be a bit more protected against bumps and potholes. Will this work? Will this tire combo rub against anything in the car?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2003

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For your tire upgrade computations:

- The ever reliable tire size calculator

It will also calculate your speedometer readout accuracy.

But, if you want to know the max tire size that would not scrub any part of its fender's better test the actual tire or wait for other Altis owners who have upgraded their wheels.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    kasya yung 215/50 IMO coz if seen altis's riding on 18 inchers eh. if ever i'd go 17's i'd gor for 215/50/17 tires as well for better rim protection from the metro's craters. kung may pera, pwede rin mag 225/45/17

5. Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Originally posted by jeff
    check this out!
    http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/593870
    Wow! That's a nasty looking Altis! 18 inch wheels with 40 series, 225 rubbers. Wait til I show this to my friend. I'm sure he is going to go for the 17 inchers. He really wants to go with the big wheels, but 50 series.

His main concern is the possibility of rubber rubbing the inner fender when the steering wheel is turned to the max. Also he hates changing the camber of the rear wheels, and adding spacers just to accomodate fat tires. But with a person using 18 inchers, coupled with 225 tires, I guess 17 inchers with 215 tires would be ok.

Thanks!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2004
    For the Altis I would suggest going for 17s and not changing the wheel diameter too much so that the speedometer and odometer wouldn't be too far off. Lowering springs will do the trick.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    imo, considering phil. road conditions, 205/45, if you can find a 205/50, better. i dont know, driving new toyotas everyday (specially altis) i can feel the difference kasi of 215 and 205, mas may resistance sa steering wheel ang 215, kasi wider, this is from experience, i work for toyota q.a. eh. of course depende din ang width ng tires sa width ng wheels.
    Last edited by Jimbob; August 23rd, 2004 at 02:09 AM.

Altis with Big Wheels