New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Aug 2003
    me factor kaya ung styling ng rims and tire sidewalls sa aerodynamics ng kotse? usually kasi you hear people talk about wings, skirts, chins, etc.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i doubt it. but it (wheel design) can influence the cooling of brake pads as well as brake discs.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    For all-out racing purposes, everything is factored in. Every fraction of a second counts.

For everyday, average-joe usage, kahit teddy bear pa ang style ng rims mo, ok lang.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    If they stick out of the wheel-wells, yes, but otherwise, the difference in aerodynamics caused by 205 mm wide wheels versus 185 mm wide wheels isn't as significant as the increased rolling resistance caused by said upsize.

The most aerodynamic mags aren't always the best ones for performance. Tuner mags leave large gaps to aid in brake cooling, and some performance car mags are designed to pull air out from behind the brakes and push it out to the sides.

That's why land speed record cars have solid disc wheels with thin tires. This gives the best aerodynamics and lowest rolling resistance, and they don't have to worry about brake cooling or grip.

Normal cars have thin tires for lower rolling resistance, not for better aerodynamics. Their mags usually have smaller holes. They're built for strength and may sometimes be more aerodynamic (some are designed with cooling in mind), but carry their own penalty in weight.

Good aftermarket mags are lighter than stock mags of the same size, have big spoke gaps for cooling, and are often wider to fit wider rubber. They're not the most aerodynamic, but they're good for performance.

If you want aerodynamic and low rolling resistance mags and tires, the best bet is to use thin tires (165/75-13?), steel wheels (no design, usually very light) and flat hubcaps.

Of course, they're terrible for performance, because you won't have any grip at all...

EDIT: By the way, I have those 13" steelies on my pickup... they're great for saving gas.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

aerodynamics: rims and tires