New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Land Rover on a diet: All-new 2013 Range Rover loses 420 kg for its debut
    Words by Ferman Lao | Photos courtesy of Land Rover

By far, the biggest news surrounding the all-new 2013 Range Rover is that it has lost weight... a whole lot of it. By using an all-aluminum unibody - as opposed to steel in the model it replaces - Land Rover's new top dog SUV is now 39% lighter, making it more agile, more fuel efficient, and more environment-friendly. How much weight you ask? 420 kg to be exact.

Losing that much weight is no joke. That's practically the towing capacity for a lot of lesser vehicles out there pretending to be an SUV, and doing so while being green and keeping the country employed is even better. Slated to be built at a new factory in Solihull, United Kingdom, the all-new Range Rover employs the latest low-energy aluminum manufacturing techniques. It truly is a marvelous example of British engineering and design work by the folks at Land Rover.

LINK FOR MORE: Land Rover on a diet: All-new 2013 Range Rover loses 420 kg for its debut
    source: Kotse.com

2. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    matibay pa rin kaya kahit aluminum? parang iba pa rin kasi yung mga old school steel SUVs eh... yung PSG Patrol Safari, Land Cruiser 80, etc.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marktams86 View Post
    matibay pa rin kaya kahit aluminum? parang iba pa rin kasi yung mga old school steel SUVs eh... yung PSG Patrol Safari, Land Cruiser 80, etc.
    depends on what you mean by tibay. Aluminium has good specific stiffness and specific strength. Aluminium being lighter means they can make the frames thicker to get more strength and yet still be lighter compared to using steel.

The body-in-white of this car is all- aluminium which means it won't rust so that means longer service life as well.
    The PSG Patrols or LC 80s would have probably had a body repair sometime in their life by now.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    i see.. that makes sense sa aluminum...maybe FC for the range rover could improve as well... kung sa tibay i mean if it could withstand head on or strong collisions...

5. Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by marktams86 View Post
    i see.. that makes sense sa aluminum...maybe FC for the range rover could improve as well... kung sa tibay i mean if it could withstand head on or strong collisions...
    Yes i think the FC was significantly improved over the previous Range Rover. I heard that the TDV6 variant can do 35MPG at 85MPH cruising speed which is quite impressive for a very bulky car.
    As per strong collisions i'm pretty sure they considered that significantly during development stage and I won't be surprised if they get 5 star Euro NCAP rating as this is their flagship model