to be featured in latest Bond 007 Film : Bond 25

3. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    https://www.topgear.com.ph/news/indu...-a962-20190423

2020 Land Rover Defender 90 / 1102020 Land Rover Defender 90 / 110

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    May 2007
    wish they went similar to the approach of how they made the new G-Class and the Jeep Wrangler JL.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by foifoi05 View Post
    wish they went similar to the approach of how they made the new G-Class and the Jeep Wrangler JL.
    Land Rover went the easier route of modifying its existing unibody RWD-based platform for the new Defender instead of investing on the development of a new ladder chassis which would have cost them more $$$$.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4 View Post
    Land Rover went the easier route of modifying its existing unibody RWD-based platform for the new Defender instead of investing on the development of a new ladder chassis which would have cost them more $$$$.
    I think you mean 4WD, I am not aware of any 2WD LR, currently. Jaguar, yes, but not Land Rover or Range Rover, maybe the much-vaunted Road Rover could be offered in a 2WD variant.

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A RO-95 View Post
    I think you mean 4WD, I am not aware of any 2WD LR, currently. Jaguar, yes, but not Land Rover or Range Rover, maybe the much-vaunted Road Rover could be offered in a 2WD variant.
    Sorry, what I meant by RWD-based is the basic longitudinal engine-RWD layout with the addition of a trasnfer case and front-drive assembly. In other words even if the Defender has no RWD version, its drivetrain layout is similar or identical to that of 4WD/AWD vehicles based on a front engine-RWD layout/architecture.

My point anyway is LR did not want to spend for a new rugged ladder frame like Jeep so it follows the same general unibody architecture as those found in other LR and Range Rover models.

New Defender will most likely have more 3-wheel action vs the old Defender or Wrangler.

PS: Technically there are 2WD LRs like the lower variants of the compact Discovery Sport for example which is offered with FWD.
    Last edited by AG4; February 27th, 2020 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added more info, typo

8. Join Date
    May 2007
    and design-wise as well, if you know what i mean.
    The classic "latero look" with door hinges outside and all that the G-class and Wrangler JL did. (add the new Jimny as well, looking like a the classic beaver)

What LR did was the soft, rounded looking,retro-futuristic approach of the FJ Cruiser.

Maybe my opinion might change when the next 007 movie arrives :D

9. Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Sorry, what I meant by RWD-based is the basic longitudinal engine-RWD layout with the addition of a trasnfer case and front-drive assembly. In other words even if the Defender has no RWD version, its drivetrain layout is similar or identical to that of 4WD/AWD vehicles based on a front engine-RWD layout/architecture.

My point anyway is LR did not want to spend for a new rugged ladder frame like Jeep so it follows the same general unibody architecture as those found in other LR and Range Rover models.

New Defender will most likely have more 3-wheel action vs the old Defender or Wrangler.

PS: Technically there are 2WD LRs like the lower variants of the compact Discovery Sport for example which is offered with FWD.
    My mistake, I did not realise that the basic version of the Disco Sport, using the transverse engined PTA platform, is 2WD in some markets.

The 2020 Defender uses the D7x version of the PLA platform. This is a beefed-up version of the D7u used on most other current LR/RR products, which as you correctly pointed out, in turn evolved from the D7a RWD platform used for the majority of the current Jaguar range.

screenshot_2020-03-23-jaguar-land-rover-car-platforms-wikipedia.png

I myself drive a Disco 4 with its hybrid IBF structure. With the Disco 5 becoming more just a downmarket version of the Range Rover, I see the new Defender now having to bridge the gap as more as a spiritual successor to the functional Disco 1-4 as well as having to replace the Ur LR.

10. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by A RO-95 View Post
    I myself drive a Disco 4 with its hybrid IBF structure. With the Disco 5 becoming more just a downmarket version of the Range Rover, I see the new Defender now having to bridge the gap as more as a spiritual successor to the functional Disco 1-4 as well as having to replace the Ur LR.
    The softer much more expensive 2020 Defender is definitely more of Disco 4 successor than that of the original Defender.

One comparison i'd want to see, the new Defender vs the new body-on-frame Bronco.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast