New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Let me put it another way.... yes or no question.

So, if a parent accidentally leave his child in the car for whatever reason, are you ok with the fact that the child must suffer or die?
    Why i find this to be an incorrect question is because the parent is not necessarily the driver in all cases. So the parent could have been a passenger as well and forgot their child. If that os the case, we also have an irresponsible parent (or made a big mistake) and a driver who was also irresponsible

And if driver was a parent and another passenger was also a parent, then you'd have an existing system that had 2 points of failure already and both failed if that happened as well.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 17Sphynx17 View Post
    Why i find this to be an incorrect question is because the parent is not necessarily the driver in all cases. So the parent could have been a passenger as well and forgot their child. If that os the case, we also have an irresponsible parent (or made a big mistake) and a driver who was also irresponsible

And if driver was a parent and another passenger was also a parent, then you'd have an existing system that had 2 points of failure already and both failed if that happened as well.
    It's the same question... both adults (the driver and/or the parent passenger) might have to share some responsibility but that's irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that a kid died... which as I've mentioned, is preventable if there's a backup system that is not prone to human error.

3. Join Date
    May 2014
    Yes, 100%. The driver is responsible for his passengers.

But the only thing you can do is to prosecute the driver for gross negligence.... it doesn't change the fact that a child died. You can no longer bring him/her back from the dead. It would've been preventable if there was a backup system that will alert the driver.
    We are at least clear then than most of us, i think all, are in agreement that the driver is responsible and should be responsible.

For my part, i just dont want a population that is dependent on automation systems for what should be common sense.

But i also agree, there are instances whete i believe the device makes a lot of sense... Vans like hiace/nv350, or even those larger ones from hyundai and foton.

But i just cant imagine justifying it for a 5 seater where all passenger are just beside you or directly behind you. That just seems too callous for a person to not even bother with their immediate vici ity as they cant be bothered.

Now if the person was starting or has been exhibiting mental lapses, that also falls into the part of the drivers responsibility to not choose to drive as it might endanger not only himself, but others as well.

Right?

P. S. I think not just negligence, but also homicide if it results in a death, but do correct me if i am wrong

4. Join Date
    May 2014
    It's the same question... both adults (the driver and/or the parent passenger) might have to share some responsibility but that's irrelevant. It doesn't change the fact that a kid died... which as I've mentioned, is preventable if there's a backup system that is not prone to human error.
    That is the reason why i brought up parent driver plus parent passenger. The parent passenger was the backup system but also failed. In that regard, no amount of automation might save them and they might even sue the car company for the event that was preventable if they were responsible.

Just my foresight of 'that future' where adults are dependent on automated safety systems.

Th

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    We are at least clear then than most of us, i think all, are in agreement that the driver is responsible and should be responsible.

For my part, i just dont want a population that is dependent on automation systems for what should be common sense.

But i also agree, there are instances whete i believe the device makes a lot of sense... Vans like hiace/nv350, or even those larger ones from hyundai and foton.

But i just cant imagine justifying it for a 5 seater where all passenger are just beside you or directly behind you. That just seems too callous for a person to not even bother with their immediate vici ity as they cant be bothered.

Now if the person was starting or has been exhibiting mental lapses, that also falls into the part of the drivers responsibility to not choose to drive as it might endanger not only himself, but others as well.

Right?

P. S. I think not just negligence, but also homicide if it results in a death, but do correct me if i am wrong
    Too late. People are already dependent on technology. But just staying within the confines of a modern vehicle.... you have an alert to remind you to buckle up, an alert to tell you that your lights are on, a reminder to service your vehicle, an alert that your parking brakes are still engaged, an alert when you're in reverse, an alert that your keys are still in the ignition... just off the top of my head.

All those things work towards safety and security.... safety and security for the vehicle and ultimately, its passengers.

That's simply how innovation works. If a bad condition exists that a human operator cannot be depended on to correct, use technology to augment those lapses by either alerting him or if possible, make corrections automatically if it's something that it is designed to do (ie. collision warning + collision avoidance).
    Last edited by oj88; September 28th, 2019 at 02:00 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    That is the reason why i brought up parent driver plus parent passenger. The parent passenger was the backup system but also failed. In that regard, no amount of automation might save them and they might even sue the car company for the event that was preventable if they were responsible.

Just my foresight of 'that future' where adults are dependent on automated safety systems.

Th
    I disagree, but you've actually proved my point.

Both the driver and parent are humans. And as humans, they have lapses. It doesn't necessarily make them bad parents.... just imperfect parents.

On the other hand, the tech in your vehicle that would help remind you that your child is still strapped in is far less likely to have lapses.
    Last edited by oj88; September 28th, 2019 at 02:01 PM.

7. Join Date
    May 2014
    I disagree, but you've actually proved my point.

Both the driver and parent are humans. And as humans, they have lapses. It doesn't necessarily make them bad parents.... just imperfect parents.

On the other hand, the tech in your vehicle that would help remind you of you child is far less likely to have lapses.
    Make the key fob vibrate so the parents think it is their mobile phone.

Honestly, still drive a vehicle that doesn't have the seatbelt warning light but, like i said, i understand your point.

I personally make it a point to tell my niece and nephew to buckle up while they are sat in the rear. Even if they complain that they don't do it in other people's car, i tell them im driving, my rules.

You just have to start somewhere to not let go of that common sense part when in a vehicle.

But if the world is really going to head in the direction where it is more likely to have irresponsible parents, we really have no choice.

It is just a sad state of affairs.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Make the key fob vibrate so the parents think it is their mobile phone.

Honestly, still drive a vehicle that doesn't have the seatbelt warning light but, like i said, i understand your point.

I personally make it a point to tell my niece and nephew to buckle up while they are sat in the rear. Even if they complain that they don't do it in other people's car, i tell them im driving, my rules.

You just have to start somewhere to not let go of that common sense part when in a vehicle.

But if the world is really going to head in the direction where it is more likely to have irresponsible parents, we really have no choice.

It is just a sad state of affairs.
    No parent or adult in their right state of mind would willingly leave their child behind. However, statistics is saying that despite such reminders being given out to drivers to check their children, it still happens.

For that, I really find it positive that vehicle manufacturers are starting to see this and eventually are doing something about it. It saves everyone from having to grieve at an otherwise, preventable mistake.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Before we used to ask, "what is the most important part of a vehicle?" and we readily answer "the driver who steps on the brakes". That is because even though the brakes is the most important equipment you have in that 2-1/2 tons of steel you still need the driver to step on it.

Are you saying now that the most important factor in this equation is no longer the driver?

10. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    Before we used to ask, "what is the most important part of a vehicle?" and we readily answer "the driver who steps on the brakes". That is because even though the brakes is the most important equipment you have in that 2-1/2 tons of steel you still need the driver to step on it.

Are you saying now that the most important factor in this equation is no longer the driver?
    If you put it that way, the driver is important. But he is human. That's why he needs all the tools he can get so he can do a better job.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast