New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Hi Kia Carnival Owners... I need a big help from you please...

I am planning to buy a car for my father (as a birthday gift), I am not rich so I am just looking for a 2nd hand car. I found a 2001 kia carnival LS Manual selling at 250k.

Price isn't really my main concern (but if you think i can still negotiate, please comment as well). I am more particular on the performance and maintainability of the car. Is it ok for long drives?

How are the parts and services for this car? Pricey? Available?

How often should I expect to shell out money for maintenance of this 11 year old car?

Hope to hear from you soon

Is it gasoline-powered or diesel-powered? If I remember correctly for the '01 model were available a 2.5L gasoline-powered V6 and the 2.9L CRDi (engine code J3) also used in the Hyundai Terracan and in the current versions of the Carnival. Altough for 250k I'd consider to take it to a talyer before buying it to make sure the suspension, brakes and steering are OK.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Is it gasoline-powered or diesel-powered? If I remember correctly for the '01 model were available a 2.5L gasoline-powered V6 and the 2.9L CRDi (engine code J3) also used in the Hyundai Terracan and in the current versions of the Carnival. Altough for 250k I'd consider to take it to a talyer before buying it to make sure the suspension, brakes and steering are OK.
    Hi, thanks for the reply. It's a 2.9 diesel engine car.

Might be a good option. I've never actually owned a Carnival but already serviced one, altough that had an automatic transmission. I must confess I didn't even know there was the option for a manual transmission for the early Carnival...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by cripple_rooster View Post
    Might be a good option. I've never actually owned a Carnival but already serviced one, altough that had an automatic transmission. I must confess I didn't even know there was the option for a manual transmission for the early Carnival...
    Thanks... If you can also give me a rough estimate on how often and how much do i shell out for maintenance?

6. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by xxxCPAxxx View Post
    Hi Kia Carnival Owners... I need a big help from you please...

I am planning to buy a car for my father (as a birthday gift), I am not rich so I am just looking for a 2nd hand car. I found a 2001 kia carnival LS Manual selling at 250k.

Price isn't really my main concern (but if you think i can still negotiate, please comment as well). I am more particular on the performance and maintainability of the car. Is it ok for long drives?

How are the parts and services for this car? Pricey? Available?

How often should I expect to shell out money for maintenance of this 11 year old car?

Hope to hear from you soon
    Is this already the facelifted version of the first gen Carnival (the Sedona)?

Parts are quite easy and available, comfort and power is good just as well although the body is on the heavy side. It has a tendency to smoke when it's not maintained regularly and try to keep an eye out for the suspension bits and parts, ABS, AC, engine hoses, leaks, etc. Things you'd expect in a decade old vehicle really.

Expect to shell out additional for a general maintenance on the unit such as overhauling the suspension, steering system, checking the electricals, hoses, fuel system, fixing engine leaks, etc. just to make sure you give your dad a vehicle that will be reliable. I'd easily set aside another 30K to 50K just to be sure.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by vinj View Post
    Is this already the facelifted version of the first gen Carnival (the Sedona)?

Parts are quite easy and available, comfort and power is good just as well although the body is on the heavy side. It has a tendency to smoke when it's not maintained regularly and try to keep an eye out for the suspension bits and parts, ABS, AC, engine hoses, leaks, etc. Things you'd expect in a decade old vehicle really.

Expect to shell out additional for a general maintenance on the unit such as overhauling the suspension, steering system, checking the electricals, hoses, fuel system, fixing engine leaks, etc. just to make sure you give your dad a vehicle that will be reliable. I'd easily set aside another 30K to 50K just to be sure.
    Thanks for the detailed and informative response. When you said parts are quite easy and available, does it mean they also come cheap? I am just assuming it is cheap since its an asian car.

By the way, i honestly dont know if it is the facelifted version. I just saw it in an ad and called the seller to ask a few questions but didn't ask about this one.

Kia Carnival Owners, Opinions Please?