New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    ^The headlights of the LX is the same as mine & the wheels are “17s. One thing I forgot to mention are the smallish steel spare tires. With it, you can use the extra space for storage & adjust the floor of the boot to have more space, something you can’t do with a full spare. I’d really give the 2017 GT-Line some thought though. Feature wise, the GT-Line has advanced dampers & more at a P75k difference. Honestly, I’m glad I do not have to make that decision, hehe.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    ^The headlights of the LX is the same as mine & the wheels are “17s. One thing I forgot to mention are the smallish steel spare tires. With it, you can use the extra space for storage & adjust the floor of the boot to have more space, something you can’t do with a full spare. I’d really give the 2017 GT-Line some thought though. Feature wise, the GT-Line has advanced dampers & more at a P75k difference. Honestly, I’m glad I do not have to make that decision, hehe.

Hahaha, I know what you mean sir Bloo, this is a major decision for me on so many levels because I may have to live with this choice for a minimum of 10 years before I can afford to buy another new car again. My Toyota has been with me for close to 15 years already, although I alternated that with the company car I was given, so hindi sya gaano nagamit for more than a few years.

This time it's different though, I have my own business and if I get the Sporty, it will be my new workhorse, mobile office, weekend getaway vehicle, truck, jeep, soft off-roader and all-around pang hatid-sundo.

From what the SA told me, the EX variant is basically a re-badged GT model, albeit without the logos. 19-inch rims, including the spare, better suspension, safety features, etc. I'm hoping that's not just sales talk.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Based on the brochure of both, there isn’t much of a difference. I know the GT Line has a better suspension but the uncoated diamond cut wheels tend to corrode unlike the EX, which is coated. The 8 speed tranny will be a factor since you will be keeping the car for 10 or more years & by then, the 6 speeder will be outdated. & who knows, they might have minor tweaks put in we are not privy too. Although I’m torn between the 2 & maybe because I own the “old face”, for P75 grand more, I’d go for the EX.
    I’ve never driven an 8 speeder in my life btw, so I can’t make any valid comparo.

Last edited by bloowolf; March 27th, 2019 at 08:27 AM.

4. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bloowolf View Post
    Based on the brochure of both, there isn’t much of a difference. I know the GT Line has a better suspension but the uncoated diamond cut wheels tend to corrode unlike the EX, which is coated. The 8 speed tranny will be a factor since you will be keeping the car for 10 or more years & by then, the 6 speeder will be outdated. & who knows, they might have minor tweaks put in we are not privy too. Although I’m torn between the 2 & maybe because I own the “old face”, for P75 grand more, I’d go for the EX.
    I’ve never driven an 8 speeder in my life btw, so I can’t make any valid comparo.

I've never driven an 8-speed either, so that will be a new experience for me as well. I didn't know about the diamond cut mags of the 2018 model. It seems my research is not thorough enough. Thanks for that insight sir Bloo.

Right now, I'm just glad I've narrowed my choices down to the Sporty or the Forester, but for all practical purposes; foreseeing maintenance costs, fuel efficiency, engine durability, parts availability and over-all reliability, the Sporty is the front-runner. Just a matter of the test drive and getting the best deal they'll offer me.

I've contacted 4 dealerships already. hehehe.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by sparc179 View Post
    I've never driven an 8-speed either, so that will be a new experience for me as well. I didn't know about the diamond cut mags of the 2018 model. It seems my research is not thorough enough. Thanks for that insight sir Bloo.

Right now, I'm just glad I've narrowed my choices down to the Sporty or the Forester, but for all practical purposes; foreseeing maintenance costs, fuel efficiency, engine durability, parts availability and over-all reliability, the Sporty is the front-runner. Just a matter of the test drive and getting the best deal they'll offer me.

Bat di na lang Montero Sporty

6. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by minicarph View Post
    Bat di na lang Montero Sporty
    Sasagutin ko ulit kahit sinagot ko na nuon pa. Hindi po kakasya sa garahe namin kasama 4 pa na sasakyan.

Isa pa, hindi po namin kailangan ang 7-seater. PPVs are not shortlisted.

Ok na?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2006

I don't question the reliability of Kia as our family's 2010 Sorento is still in good running shape but I wouldn't say that a Forester fares less than a Sportage in terms of the criteria above. If market share and numbers alone, there are more previous gen Foresters (2013-2018) on the road compared to the 3rd gen (2010-2015) and current gen Sportage. If there is a bigger market presence, there is better availability for parts and service.

In terms of performance, a diesel Sportage will outpace a non-turbo Forester but the Forester has the advantage of grip due to its AWD platform. If we are talking about the turbo Forester, well it's a no contest in terms of pace or speed. Our Sorento offers a better ride than any of the PPVs but it is nowhere as agile and nimble as our Forester.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Sasagutin ko ulit kahit sinagot ko na nuon pa. Hindi po kakasya sa garahe namin kasama 4 pa na sasakyan.

Ok na?
    Wag ka maniwala kay OB. He is quick to suggest a Monty but he was asked if he would buy one, he answered saying he will buy a Fortuner instead. Hehehehe

9. Join Date
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Egan101 View Post
    I don't question the reliability of Kia as our family's 2010 Sorento is still in good running shape but I wouldn't say that a Forester fares less than a Sportage in terms of the criteria above. If market share and numbers alone, there are more previous gen Foresters (2013-2018) on the road compared to the 3rd gen (2010-2015) and current gen Sportage. If there is a bigger market presence, there is better availability for parts and service.

In terms of performance, a diesel Sportage will outpace a non-turbo Forester but the Forester has the advantage of grip due to its AWD platform. If we are talking about the turbo Forester, well it's a no contest in terms of pace or speed. Our Sorento offers a better ride than any of the PPVs but it is nowhere as agile and nimble as our Forester.
    I agree with you on most points raised Master E, personally it boils down to maintenance costs and fuel efficiency along with the other criteria I forgot to mention, mainly Fuel Cost, although I do see Diesel prices at almost the same as gasoline in some places, still a diesel engine is admittedly more efficient than a gasoline power-plant.

Also, I was comparing the Sporty with the current-gen Fozzie L-Variant non-turbo which is what I shortlisted. I actually doubt if I'll ever go past 120 KpH since I will often be travelling with my family and they are the primary consideration in every decision I make right now. I would have wanted the safety features of the new Fozzie (i.e. Eyesight, blind spot detection, etc.)
    But alas, costs spread over a decade and I begin to see the long picture.

I'm still considering either of the two though, haven't completely decided yet.

Thanks again for the great input.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2014

Ok na?
    Baka pabilhin ka pa ng bagong bahay para kumasya yung Monteyrow.

Page 5 of 49 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
2019 Kia Sportage test drive