New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 18 of 32 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by taubtaub View Post
    ang bilis pala nang dmax at alterra,
    xuvi 2004 inabot lang namin ay 120 lang.
    Hahaha! CRDI vs. non-CRDI and 146hp vs. 85hp...... i'm not surprised!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    +1 to this. This is a pic I took running a '08 4x2 LS AT * STAR Tollway:

Believe me, I reached 200kph but that was definitely way fast for the same set of hands to take a picture at while holding the steering wheel. I believe the RPM was almost around 4,000.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ry_Tower View Post
    Ang tulin pala ng DMax. Hindi mo aakalain due to their engine specs. Maganda ibig sabihin tranny niya.
    +2, and that is true

170 km per hour on my 2008 DMax LS 4x2 manual-tranny at SCTEX.

The paper engine specs of our non-VGT equipped Philippine-DMax is indeed low at 146 ps DIN compared to the others that are all by now VGT-equipped; the recent addition is the 178 ps 2.5-litre Mitsubishi Strada "GTV"

DIN power means power "at the wheel" , taking into account "parastic loss" or friction loss from the engine to the wheel. Granting we have 10% parasitic loss, the engine power could be in the order of 161 ps or metric-hp.

The 3-litre Ddi-iTEQ
    (4JJ1-TC "standard") engine plugged into our current Philippine-DMax and Alterra is a year 2004 model engine. We are still waiting for the arrival of the "better" and legendary 3-litre iTEQ VGS Turbo (4JJ1-TCX) engine in our shores. Said engine is a 2006 model and since then it already got the variable-geometry turbocharger (VGT) for the DMax issued in Europe since 2007, South America, Australia, New Zealand in 2008, and recently in 2010, Thailand. Stock peak DIN power and torque of this engine is 164 ps at 3400 rpm and 360 Nm from 1800 rpm to 2800 rpm.

My Thai friend just informed me recently that there is now a new Isuzu DMax called "RT-50" for 2012. It was road tested in Chonburi, Thailand and the initial power figure is above 180'ish horsepower. Also, this 3-litre engine will be adopted to the 2012 Isuzu MU-7 (the Alterra of Thailand).

There will also be a new VGT-equipped 2.5-litre DMax that is coming together with the flagship 3-litre RT-50.

If the legendary 3-litre DMax iTEQ VGS Turbo won't still reach the Philippine shores this 2012, and Isuzu Philippines would have to continue with the old 2004 model Ddi-iTEQ engine as its standard offering, by then, we Filipinos who are still buying Isuzu's, would already be 2nd generations behind of the latest technology that Isuzu is offering in other countries....
    ....Geeze, ain't that just fantastic eh!!!!

Good day fellow Isuzu afficionados

P.S.

Anyone here heard yet or installed a DP Chip diesel EFI-tuner made by the Aussie-company Berrima Diesel in Mandaluyong City?

3. Join Date
    Jun 2011
    XTO 110 at hirap pa maabot dahil walang expressway sa davao hehe

4. Join Date
    May 2011
    100 lang ako kasi natatakot ako mahuli sa xpres way hehe.. d ko kasi aalam kung san ung camera dun nagmomonitor ng speed limit tas sctex.. Meron nga ba talagang nanghuhuli kaya sa dun sctex papunta at pabalik ng baguio to manila?

5. Join Date
    Sep 2010
    170 kph the fastest i reached..naubusan ako ng straight road hehehe
    *ydrion: d mo na kailangan ng expressway sir,if you have the guts for it hehehe..able to run 120kph from grand regal to damosa road..kakatakot nga lang kasi matraffic..and so foolish ^_^.
    2011 4x2 ls D-Max nga po pala ride ko.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    140 km/h puntang iloilo airport ..rmp almost 2400 to 2800 with trooper 4jx1 enginewith six adults including me..

7. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    +1 to this. This is a pic I took running a '08 4x2 LS AT * STAR Tollway:

Believe me, I reached 200kph but that was definitely way fast for the same set of hands to take a picture at while holding the steering wheel. I believe the RPM was almost around 4,000.

Benz, if it's indeed true that you were able to reach 200 kph with the DMax 4x2 LS auto-tranny at almost 4000 rpm, i think that's a bit of an overstatement....

Kindly hang a bit with me here. i've attached another perspective of your photo (as provided above which i took from another thread here at tsikot) that displays the speedometer around 165 kph and the tachometer at 3500 rpm. Here's an estimate i made in Excel using the DMax LS auto-tranny spec sheet ---- In this, the calculation run was fixed at 3500 rpm and it shows in there theoretically you were indeed running at 165.7 km per hour.

Now, using the same parameters and back-calculating what might have been your engine-rpm when you reached 200 kph, then it shows that you were already almost at the region of the redline, i.e. 4250 rpm, as provided below. (At 4000 rpm, the DMax auto-tranny is running only around 189 kph.)

The file was originally intended for the DMax manual-tranny the reason why the rpm at each gear-shift is maxed-out.... Now, just to depict what might have been at 4th-gear with the DMax LS auto-tranny, i just inputted values in there to estimate your rpm at 200 kph.

Kind regards.

8. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    [QUOTE=hinDMaxsiado;1789037]Benz, if it's indeed true that you were able to reach 200 kph with the DMax 4x2 LS auto-tranny at almost 4000 rpm, i think that's a bit of an overstatement....

I really enjoy your inputs to these forums such as you have done here with this post.

My honest opinion is that you know what you are talking about, and, I greatly respect that!

However, you know that Benz is my friend. I would really like you to be my friend too! I would be proud.

As a personal aside, please stop your sarcasm towards Benz. It really detracts from the very high opinion I have of you.

Now, getting back to your present post.......

Your calculations seem to be spot on, except that you may have overlooked that Benz mentioned he used an automatic tranny as opposed to a manual box.

At high rpm's automatic trannys employ some slipperage which could translate in the comparison of engine rpm to not being linear to vehicle speed....resulting in an additional "overdrive" effect especially on roads offering low rolling resistance.

I was not there, so I am not aware of whether there was a downhill advantage, a tail wind versus a head wind, or if a large truck in front was causing a "drag" effect, or any other extraneous matters such as tire size not being calibrated to the speedometer, etc. which could have resulted in a difference in the linear comparasion of rpm versus speedometer speed shown.

In the final analysis, I really would prefer a comparison of miles per liter as oppossed to top speed.....it is much less dangerous and does have an informative benefit for all of us.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nick View Post
    [SIZE=3]I really enjoy your inputs to these forums such as you have done here with this post. My honest opinion is that you know what you are talking about, and, I greatly respect that![/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]However, you know that Benz is my friend. I would really like you to be my friend too! I would be proud.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Don't mention it Unk Nick, rather the pleasure is mine.... Who doesn't know and doesn't like Uncle Nick anyway?!? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Your calculations seem to be spot on, except that you may have overlooked that Benz mentioned he used an automatic tranny as opposed to a manual box.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]At high rpm's automatic trannys employ some slipperage which could translate in the comparison of engine rpm to not being linear to vehicle speed....resulting in an additional "overdrive" effect especially on roads offering low rolling resistance.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]i know what you mean Unk Nick, here where i work at present we do have a 3-litre Toyota Prado TZ (early 90's 1KZ-TE engine) and a modern-day 3-litre Toyota Fortuner where both are auto-tranny's. That overdrive you're describing seems to come early, however, with the Prado at about 140'ish kph. And yes, i agree the OD also seems to auto-engage at high-speeds especially when the road gradient is favourable, or a bit sloping down ahead.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]i just wonder (since my DMax's are manual-tranny's), when does that "seeming" OD effect kicks in with the DMax auto-tranny.... Bcoz obviously, judging by the picture from Benz's panel (165 kph at 3500 rpm) and performing the estimates using the DMax AT spec sheets as provided in the Isuzu website, the OD still doesn't kick-in. The estimate is even based on a 100% mechanical efficiency without considering drag effects etc running 4th-gear at 0.690 configuration.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]If ever the OD gear engages in a li'l bit later along the higher revs above 3500 rpm, does it mean that the OD ratio could be around 0.653 to be able to run at 200 kph at only 4000 rpm? Right now, the only one provided by Isuzu website is the 4th-gear at 0.690.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]This is only what i could come up with Unk Nick, unless i put extra rows (or unhide rows 12 and 17) in there to incorporate an assumed OD gear-ratio, say 0.653. With the 0.690 (quoting Isuzu website en-toto), the DMax auto-tranny could be screaming at redline 4250 rpm to reach 200 kph. But bear with me if i'm wrong with this assumption.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]In the final analysis, I really would prefer a comparison of miles per liter as oppossed to top speed.....it is much less dangerous and does have an informative benefit for all of us.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=3]Yes, i agree with you Unk Nick.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Seems some of us here Isuzu riders have done a lot of these fuel-mileage runs on several occassions. A lot of us have posted our fuel-mileage runs, however, without noting what were the climatic conditions at those times. There is a dedicated thread on this somewhere here at Isuzu forum.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]i've posted panel pictures and kilometres run and my "indicative" fuel consumptions in other forums within tsikot.com, in motorcyclephilippines.com, and in topgear.com.ph. My DMax is all bone-stock at the moment.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]i have done a 425.5 km straight ride from Metro Manila to Naga City in May 2010 (the weather was really hot) and i spent 17 km per litre on combined city-, off-city SLEX and provincial roads. My engine rpm was maintained between 2000 rpm to 2250 rpm prior to shifting onto the next higher gear. Other factors were:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]1. We were four (4) in the pickup plus our gears for the 4-day outing;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]2. My OEM air-filter was new;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]3. Was running the fully-synth Motul 5W-40 Specific-CRDi oil;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]4. My diesel was Petron Diesel Max (no 55-cetane Petron Turbo Diesel yet that time ); and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]5. Weather was terribly hot, 37 to 40-deg Celcius.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Our Metro Manila to Baguio City run via the Marcos Highway last December 2010 involved 293.1 km. Spent 15.4 km per litre where a lot of it was eaten out by my blazing accent along the Marcos Highway at 4th-gear most of the time, and at 2000 rpm to 2250 rpm. i was actively downshifting to 3rd-gear on tight hairpins or "switchbacks" and then onto 4th again. Other factors were:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]1. The temperature that time was obviously cooler, in Baguio (say greater Baguio City or even let's assume the whole Cordillera region) it was 22-deg Celsius in the afternoon and around 15-deg to 17-deg Celsius at night time. Obviously the air that time carries more oxygen;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]2. We were also four (4) passengers that time when we went up Baguio City;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]3. My OEM air-filter was new;[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]4. My engine oil was almost ready to be changed at 10,000 km; it was the fully-synth heavy Torco 15W-40 SD-5; and[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]5. My diesel was Petron Turbo Diesel.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]i still haven't performed any fuel-consumption runs lately. i am now using K&N air filter and i'm also on my way in the next coming months to have Speedlab install the UniChip diesel EFI tuning kit for me as my 1st-stage intake mod for my hinDMaxsiado. I'm now using the fully-synth Mobil Delvac 5W-40.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Trust that everything is well with you and your family, always....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=3]Kind regards.[/SIZE]

10. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    [QUOTE=hinDMaxsiado;1789459][SIZE=3]Don't mention it Unk Nick, rather the pleasure is mine.... Who doesn't know and doesn't like Uncle Nick anyway?!?[/SIZE]

WOW!! Thank you, I feel like I am now two inches taller.

It is a pleasure, as always to read your inputs. If you ever decide to start a blog, I would read you avidly.

To put into simple perspective, our discussion could be summerized as follows;

All things being equal.....

If you take a manual transmission vehicle up a hill and then down a hill at the same rpm you could conceivable show the same road speed on your speedometer, up and down.

However, an automatic vehicle would undoubtly show a higher roadspeed going downhill rather than uphill at the same rpm.

I am , of course ignoring the transmission to engine engine gear lock up feature incorporated on more refined automatic transmissions.

Take care, my friend.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

your fastest speed [ISUZU vehicles]