New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Good day to everyone.
    Can you please help me out on this matter.
    I don't know if my turbo works or not.
    Does the turbo kick in at a certain speed or RPM?
    When it does kick in, is there an additional humming sound coming from the engine like a fan running?
    When I took it to Zexel to have the fuel injection system calibrated and nozzles changes they said the turbo seems to be working.
    But is there any way to know is its really working?
    My observation on my ride is that when I hit 130kph the humming sound starts and I can go faster but due to safety reason I don't specially I have my family with me.
    Anyone care to share their experience, observatons on how to diagnose it works.
    Thanks in advance for the knowledged shared...

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Good day to everyone.
    Can you please help me out on this matter. -let me just try.
    Does the turbo kick in at a certain speed or RPM? -yes at around 1800-2000 rpm
    When it does kick in, is there an additional humming sound coming from the engine like a fan running? -at higher rpms say around 2500+ and on a stock intake system you should be able to hear the whirling sound. On a cone type air filter with an open type air box I could barely hear the whirling sound, not sure why.
    When I took it to Zexel to have the fuel injection system calibrated and nozzles changes they said the turbo seems to be working.
    But is there any way to know is its really working? -having a boost gauge installed is probably the most appropriate as you could monitor it in realtime and I think a mechanic with the right tools i.e. pressure gauge should be able to test this even during idle.
    My observation on my ride is that when I hit 130kph the humming sound starts and I can go faster but due to safety reason I don't specially I have my family with me. -i think your turbo is working based on the speed you mentioned.
    -I hope this helps. Drive safely sir. good day too.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Sir Wham thank you very much for the information...
    Hope these discussion not only answers my question but also the question that others may have...

I am very thankful that a forum like this is around where we can get information from each other based on each other's experience and knowledge...

Thanks again to you sir Wham and to the moderators

4. Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by wham_10mbps View Post
    Good day to everyone.
    Can you please help me out on this matter. -let me just try.
    Does the turbo kick in at a certain speed or RPM? -yes at around 1800-2000 rpm
    When it does kick in, is there an additional humming sound coming from the engine like a fan running? -at higher rpms say around 2500+ and on a stock intake system you should be able to hear the whirling sound. On a cone type air filter with an open type air box I could barely hear the whirling sound, not sure why.
    But is there any way to know is its really working? -having a boost gauge installed is probably the most appropriate as you could monitor it in realtime and I think a mechanic with the right tools i.e. pressure gauge should be able to test this even during idle.
    My observation on my ride is that when I hit 130kph the humming sound starts and I can go faster but due to safety reason I don't specially I have my family with me. -i think your turbo is working based on the speed you mentioned.
    -I hope this helps. Drive safely sir. good day too.

Ayus sa tips bro!

130KPH bilis na non ah siguro EFI na ang 4jg2 mo?

5. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by nap123 View Post
    Ayus sa tips bro!

130KPH bilis na non ah siguro EFI na ang 4jg2 mo?
    Di sir 3.1TD ang Trooper ko.

Sa south ako nakatira so I can get to that speed lalo na ng gumanda na ang SLEX... pero I don't do it often cause of safety issues since this is an SUV and the CG if high so likeliness of flipping is high also...

I don't know but I can vouch that my 97LS can do this speed but it will take a while...

Why sir Nap123 anything wrong with what I said?

6. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I think 97 model pataas is already EFI.

bro sakto kasi post ni mi2375 kasi back to stock intake ko. ni DIY ko lang kaninang umaga bago pasok sa work. rinig na rinig ulit yung spooling sound ng turbo tulad sayo. puro galit lang kasi ng makina ang tunog ng cone type pero ayos performance (ng konti) sa highway cruising.

mi2375 - you are welcome. I am also thankful there is a forum like this. Let's wait for the thoughts of the other members and experts of the forum. Baka may ma share pa sila about the subject that we could learn from.
    Last edited by wham_10mbps; March 4th, 2010 at 08:18 PM.

Turbo query on 4JG2TD LS