New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wiper View Post
    I bought those 2 brands oil from a local distributor.But out of stock right now.
    With regards to the Igmo oil required by isuzu , it is only monograde sae 40 and api cf only as compare to elf trophy, it is multigrade 15w-40 and api ch4. Its far more superior than the igmo oil. and they bill us P240 per liter is too much. The reason why I like to use a more superior oil is since the engine is brand new ,and I want in as much as possible to keep it clean and reduce carbon deposit.
    sir, care to share where? hehe because i have been looking, but found none

2. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    (Regardless of oil type), Regular PMS and proper (engine) use should keep your engine in top (and brand new) condition.
    Yes I agree withe you that proper pms and use of engine will keep our engine in tip top condition. but engine oil type is one important factor that is why we have oil specification and grade, each has its features and purpose.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Yes I agree withe you that proper pms and use of engine will keep our engine in tip top condition. but engine oil type is one important factor that is why we have oil specification and grade, each has its features and purpose.
    I stand corrected, I meant oil BRAND. Oil specs must be followed.

4. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Gentlemen,

While we are in the discussion of recommended engine oil weights vis-a-vis oil viscosity, KINDLY REMEMBER that the measure of "TRUE" oil viscosity is "NOT" in the oil canister's product label, like what you see written as 5W-40, SAE 40, 10W-30 etc, but rather it is measured by its kinematic viscosity in centiStokes.

Under the hood of the DMax, we see recommended engine oils as SAE 40, 10W-30, and 15W-40.... BUT no such thing as 5W-40 ---- therefore, we "might" think that the 5W-40 grade oil isn't applicable like those Motul CRDi Specific 5W-40 and Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 fully-synthetic diesel oils.

AND if one compares Isuzu's recommended Besco's 10W-30, any SAE 40 grade, and 15W-40 oils, one might think that they are heavier than a 5W-40 oil. BUT, it's not always the case, as explained in the following:

Isuzu's Besco 10W-30 properties (ASTM standards):
    kinematic viscosity at 40 deg. Celsius, cSt = 65
    kinematic viscosity at 100 deg. Celsius, cSt = <10

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 properties (ASTM standards):
    kinematic viscosity at 40 deg. Celsius, cSt = 102
    kinematic viscosity at 100 deg. Celsius, cSt = 14.8 (heavier/ more viscous than Besco at high temperature range)

Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
    http://www.mobil.com/Philippines-Eng...c_1_5W-40.aspx

When one compares Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 against Torco SD-5 15W-40, we may see that both oils have quite a comparable dynamic viscosity at high temperature range ---- 14.8 cSt (Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40) against 15.0 cSt (Torco SD-5 15W-40) at 100 deg. Celsius

Torco SD-5 15W-40
    http://www.torcousa.com/technology/T...20-%20SD-5.pdf

By comparison, Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40 has better viscosity index of 151 against Torco SD-5 15W-40's 140 even when we see that by the outer product label in each respective oil canisters that the Torco oil "seems to be more viscous" than the lighter weight Mobil Delvac 1....
    ....Also, at high temperature of 100 deg. Celsius, we also see that Isuzu's recommended Besco 10W-30 is even thinner, <10 cSt, than Mobil's 14.8 cSt.

Based on the above product data info, one can definitely use a 5W-40 grade oil (measured in kinematic viscosity) on their Isuzu DMax's EVEN when the oil grade is NOT specifically listed under the hood.

5. Join Date
    May 2009
    hi, I am very disappointed when I have my cosswind break in for the first 15oo km. I requested different casa to allow me to use my own engine oil(elf trophy 15w40 ch4) and they turned me down saying its the policy of Isuzu Phils. to use isuzu motor oil in order to have continued warrnty. I have no choice but to comply. Later I found out that the motor oil they used is only monograde sae40 and they charge me 240 pesos per liter which I felt its very much expensive where you can purchase a multigrade oil around 170-180 vat included. My point is
    1. I used to own a 1997 fuego and 2003 crosswind and service at casa using branded oil like mobil , elf, conoco and they allowed it. So far I have no problem using them for almost 13 years, specially with conoco which is hydro cracked and more refine thus less smoke.
    2. If ever I knew before hand that Isuzu Phils compel us to use their own motor oil, I wont buy the crosswind. Because Toyota, honda, kia and hyundai allowed me to use my engine oil as as their specs are met.
    3.Isuzu motor oil came from Thailand and I dont Know who is their manufacturer as compare with those branded which are accepted, recognized and trusted worldwide.
    4.they overcharge us by MORE THAn 50% while depriving us the chance to use a BETTER OIL.
    5.If you are going to use synthetic oil from casa, they will allow it even if its not made from isuzu. my point is why those branded synthetic oil they will allow but not mineral oil. Its very inconsistent maybe you know why. $$$ is number one over service and customer satisfaction.
    6.To Isuzu Phils if you have read my thread , please consider my request especially to Richard, customer satisfaction is more important than profit. unless you can convince me that your engine oil more superior than those recognized in the market.
    Oh my, my dad just did a DIY for the 10K run on our XUV. Better tell him once he gets back. Lagi daw kasi palpak casa kaya siya na lang gumawa.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Under US law, dealerships can't deny you warranty if you have your oil change done outside, as long as the oil used meets the requirements specified in your manual.

Unfortunately, the Philippines is not the US. And given that we don't have the same certifying regulations for mechanics, most manufacturers will try to void your warranty for PMS work done outside "official" dealerships.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

7. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    ...bottom line is, we still have to go with whatever isuzu recommends especially on using their very own parts & services even if we have to pay more than the usual amount of parts sold outside isuzu to avoid cancellation of warranty which is extended for a period of 3 years.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Did you clarify what part of the warranty is voided exactly if you use a different engine oil? For example, if you use your own engine oil, it should not void a defect with your A/C system or transmission.

You can take a calculated risk on this actually, what defects do you think may arise that needs warranty work with the Isuzu engine given its been around for so long? In my case, our toyota altis was serviced for the first 10,000kms then after that we just did the servicing ourselves; 65,000kms hence and after then lapse of the warranty, so far no claim needed.

What a one sided policy of Isuzu. As long as the oil used is within recommended spec and the proper interval is observed then it should be no problem to the warranty.
    Last edited by vinj; May 9th, 2011 at 12:18 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
No isuzu motor oil- no warranty, is it fair trade practice