New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Nick View Post
    The Santa Fe is a "crossover" and not a true SUV. It has unibody construction, a transverse mounted engine, and is Front Wheel Drive or All Wheel drive.

There are real horror stories about the lack of good dealer service over the internet.....check it out on "Google"!

The Fortuner is strongly anticipated to be replaced with an all new unit soon...maybe this year.
    The current 3.0 Diesel is the only unit which is a good contender as a rival to the Alterra, but it suffers from a cramped interior, short wheelbase (choppy ride) and inferior entertainment system when compared to the Alterra.

As far as "Looks", however, the Fortuner beats them all, even the Alterra.

Thats the way I see it, anyhow.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

Guys,

Good thing we have Uncle Nick here backing us up about our Alterra. I agree to what he has stated here. Santa Fe is small almost the same size as the Tucson. I think the Kia Mohave would be a better SUV for comparison. The Ford Everest still has the riding comfort issue and the handbrake is still under the dashboard if I'm not mistaken. Another issue is the height of the Everest which makes it more prone to flipping over when turning fast on sharp curves.
    Lack of the entertainment system is another item to consider. Just sharing my experiences since I've tried the Everest also.

2. Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Kung between, alterra and everest, alterra na hands down. The Kia Mohave is above the two, Pajero, Patrol at LC, Veracruz na katapat niyan eh. But I don't like its look. Parang too bland. Kulang sa sheet metal sculpting. And the stock rims are way too conservative for me for an upscale SUV.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Thank very much for your informative reply. Sorry for the tagalog. Actually, I already decided to purchase the Alterra. However, I am still collecting opinions and some more details regarding the Alterra. Anticipation of what we may encounter, just a precaution as well as so that if we can do something to avoid we still can.

I am considering the Isuzu in Cavite, because it will be the nearest in our house. Additional information from other Alterra owners regarding their service providers will be highly appreciated. I am also considering the fron grille to be replaced, any recommendation?

Thank you for all the information and support.

Jon2[/quote]
    Medyo meron mga unsatisfied customers dyan sa isuzu cavite. isuzu di gumagamit ng transport truck to deliver the vehicles, pinapadrive lang nila. Madaming loko magdrive sa mga yan. I suggest that you buy your alterra at isuzu inteco. Although medyo abala, mas maeenjoy mo un paguwi mo ng sasakyan, maapreciate mo kagad un binili mo. Un inteco ang planta ng isuzu.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The Alterra has proven itself over time to be dependable, reliable and efficient.

The new Monty, although very attractive with it's bells and whistles, is unproven.

The Alterra is much, much, more roomy inside. Just sit in the back seat!

The Monty is very cramped- but, OK, if you and all your passengers are "small".

The Monty has a higher center of gravity and more prone to tipping over during emergency or evasive manuvers.

I could go on and on, really.

My advice, take a test ride in both to decide, for yourself.

I own a 2011 Urban Cruiser, 4X4 in silky pearl white and I just cannot stop smiling.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.
    The Montero already uses off-the shelf (proven) parts. The drivetrain has been in use for quite sometime already despite the new-ish body. About the only thing new on this rig is the engine. And even that engine is based on an existing engine already.

Bells and whistles? Isn't that what Isuzu is always pushing since their product cycles are indeed longer than the norm (think Crosswind) so they always come up with new bells and whistles to attract buyers.

How can the Monty have a higher C.O.G? I don't really know how to compute this. Overall height is not the only factor to compute C.O.G. In the 4x4 Monty, the C.O.G. is even lower because the 4wd drivetrain adds mass to the lower half of the vehicle. I've tried both vehicles (and the Fortuner). They don't really have spooky handling.

I don't think you'd get a bad deal with both. But I think Isuzu offers more incentives at the moment.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP View Post
    The Montero already uses off-the shelf (proven) parts. The drivetrain has been in use for quite sometime already despite the new-ish body. About the only thing new on this rig is the engine. And even that engine is based on an existing engine already.

Bells and whistles? Isn't that what Isuzu is always pushing since their product cycles are indeed longer than the norm (think Crosswind) so they always come up with new bells and whistles to attract buyers.

How can the Monty have a higher C.O.G? I don't really know how to compute this. Overall height is not the only factor to compute C.O.G. In the 4x4 Monty, the C.O.G. is even lower because the 4wd drivetrain adds mass to the lower half of the vehicle. I've tried both vehicles (and the Fortuner). They don't really have spooky handling.

I don't think you'd get a bad deal with both. But I think Isuzu offers more incentives at the moment.
    If you were to use Google for research, you would find that the Fortuner in The Philippines, Africa and India has a poor record for flipping over and giving a very unstable ride.

The Montero is a "copy" of the Fortuner as far as specifications are concerned. Not as many accidents as the Fortuner, but then, not as many on the road (sold) either.

I could not find any complaints about the Alterra handling - moreover no "flips" at all.

This is why, in my opinion;

The Alterra, with smaller diameter wheels, has a much longer wheelbase and a wide track, and is heavier.

Common sense dictates that all other factors being equal, the centre of gravity is lower. It can be calculated, of course.

The Alterra has torsion bar front suspension. This results is almost no front end nosedive during hard turning and braking.

The Alterra has leaf springs at the rear. This means that the chassis is attached to the rear axle unit at four points.

Coil rear spring vehicles are attached at two points only at the rear.

Just follow a coil spring vehicle over a bumpy road as compared to an Isuzu. See how the coil spring units sway side to side as they go up and down! You will never drive anything other than Isuzu again!

On Google, there is a letter (from Africa) about a man driving his Fortuner on a gravel road , too fast. An Isuzu passed him and was going nice and straight at a higher speed than the Fortuner. The Fortuner flipped almost immediately after being passed by the Isuzu. The driver almost killed his mother, wife and kids.

There are other stories - all bad - some with fatalities. It is all on Google.

And to think, The Montero is almost a clone of the Fortuner.

By the way, Isuzu does not add bells and whistles to attract buyers. Their vehicle engineering is already proven as it does not need fixing. That is why they do not need to change the design, because it works as it is.

I could go on and on, really!

But here is a suggestion.

Visit a Toyota and Mitsubisi repair shop (Casa) and see that they always have vehicles to repair, somehow.

Visit an Isuzu Casa and you will find that they are doing PMS inspections, preparing new vehicles for delivery, doing body work, etc. BUT seldom, if ever, actual mechanical repair work.

I admit that I am prejudiced about the superiority of the Alterra.

However, facts are facts!

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Thank you guys for all who provided their inputs! I really appreciate it... Monty is now 1 on the list.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    I'm inclined to get any of the following:
    - Alterra
    - Monty Sport

Reading the forum...and seeing what is on the streets...I'd say that the MS is doing a good job...lots of them on the street...same as the Fortuner. Frankly I don't see a lot of Alterra's on the street...that is why when I see one...I try to get a good look, for it is a really good looking vehicle.

I think either of the 2 will be a good buy for anyone...I'd most probably test drive the 2 before I make my decision though.

Again, its our personal preferences which dictates what we like or don't like.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    By the way, Isuzu does not add bells and whistles to attract buyers. Their vehicle engineering is already proven as it does not need fixing. That is why they do not need to change the design, because it works as it is.

I could go on and on, really!
    you sure do are a proud owner of it
    there are many factors to consider in every stories/facts that you share re: the alterra... and i understand your happiness of owning one.
    but i beg to disagree with this (or some from your statements before)
    they do really add bells and whistles... sales is one factor, that's why. because they have to compete with those other suvs out there which is available here locally. and most of the time, sad but true, most suv lookers tend to go for cuv 'cause of the ride comfort that can be offered by rough suvs since most of them goes on normal roads rather than off roads... (and i'm not saying that alterra's ride is rough) pardon me if i seem to post such reply but just to clarify, am not an anti-alterra man. i just want to disagree to some of the statements here (like the montero being unproven, for example) with no pun intended to every one
    Last edited by Burai; March 10th, 2011 at 05:37 AM.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_daddy View Post
    I'm inclined to get any of the following:
    - Alterra
    - Monty Sport

Reading the forum...and seeing what is on the streets...I'd say that the MS is doing a good job...lots of them on the street...same as the Fortuner. Frankly I don't see a lot of Alterra's on the street...that is why when I see one...I try to get a good look, for it is a really good looking vehicle.

I think either of the 2 will be a good buy for anyone...I'd most probably test drive the 2 before I make my decision though.

Again, its our personal preferences which dictates what we like or don't like.
    You should also consider the hyundai stafe. It has the most advance engine compared to fortuner, montero, and alterra. A 2.2 L engine that produces over 190ps(stafe)! When it comes to speed, stability, driving experience that SUV is a real winner, almost close to driving a european entry level suv.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Good Day! just would like to know whether alterra urban cruiser is made in thailand? because my dad paid for a 4x4 alterra urban cruiser and the agent told him that we have to wait until end of march because there is no stock here in the Phil for the 4x4 they have to order it daw in thailand...

Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
New Isuzu Alterra Urban Cruiser