New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Hi, I want to know at what max speed is safe to break in my new sportivo, and i have read from isuzuclub from sir Benz that break-in is a thing from the past, we know that 4jai is an old engine, so do i have to break-in? at what max speed?

Is there a truth also about the so called new engine training? kasi some mechanics said that, if you breakin in only at safe speed daw, ma trai train daw engine mo at this speed and mahihirapan na daw umabot ng very high speed. totoo ba?

And lastly, how many seconds or minutes should i set the turbo timer to shut off?

2. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Congrats on your new sportivo! We just got ours last saturday. If you read the manual, its indicated there how you break in the new engine. AFIAK the manual teaches you the 'soft' break in. While other experts says 'hard' break in is much better. According to them the reason why the manufacturer prefer the soft break in is to avoid warranty cost when something breaks in your new vehicle. According to them, the reason why you break in the engine is for the piston rings to fully seat and seal the combustion chamber and it is best achieved if you hard break in the engine. I learned this when I bought a motorcycle last Oct of 2008. For me I prefer to hard break in the engine. That is to vary your speed and go as fast as you can. Try to do some searching on google, you'll find lots of information. Good luck!

3. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Break-in is dependent on revs and load. I'd stay below 3000 rpm and only rev it high for a few seconds at a time when you need to overtake.

If you practice conservative driving and don't rev the engine hard for at least five minutes before you reach your destination, then you don't need a turbo timer. The 4JA1's tiny turbo doesn't build up that much heat, anyway.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Break-in is dependent on revs and load. I'd stay below 3000 rpm and only rev it high for a few seconds at a time when you need to overtake.

If you practice conservative driving and don't rev the engine hard for at least five minutes before you reach your destination, then you don't need a turbo timer. The 4JA1's tiny turbo doesn't build up that much heat, anyway.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by KramretxeD View Post
    ......According to them, the reason why you break in the engine is for the piston rings to fully seat and seal the combustion chamber and it is best achieved if you hard break in the engine.
    This is true for NEWLY OVERHAULED engines. Brand new engines (technically) do not need break-in. These engines go thru testing before they are installed in vehicles. Believe me when I say, the tests that they do isn't no joke. It'll push the engine to its limits. That is ok since everything is new.... torque is exact.

What is strongly advised is (as much as possible) warm up your engine to normal operating level before you put load (engaged transmission) in it. If the situation does not permit you and you need to run the vehicle at cold start, make sure you do not over rev the engine higher than 2,000 rpm until it reaches normal operating temp level.

Congratulations on the purchase and show us some love by posting pics of your new Sportivo!

6. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by FChin View Post
    And lastly, how many seconds or minutes should i set the turbo timer to shut off?
    i don't know this. is this for A/T only or it also applies for M/T models as well?
    i haven't read this yet in the manual though. please shed some light. thanks.

7. Join Date
    May 2009
    in my case kahit matanda na pipip namin e 3-5 minutes warm up and cool down sa turbo ginagawa ko plus A/T pa pipip namin. if the situation does not permit warmup/cool down time, i do not exceed 60kmh as the warmup then slow down nako a few kilometers before my destination as the cool down process. so far di pa naman nagluluko A/T at turbo. ung A/T twice a year ko change oil kasi matanda na.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Kram and benz, naandito rin pala kayo.

Kram post your sportivo pic, I want to see it.

Next week pa dadating ang new sportivo ko, tanong ko lang po
    maganda ba ang aircon ng sportivo kumpara sa aircon na ginagamit
    ng mga nissan vehicles.

Sabi kasi ng iba the best raw yon aircon na gamit ng nissan vehicles.

9. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Do not owned a Nissan, but the aircon on the Crosswinds are more than adequately cold. Still strong after 4 years since the vehicle's purchase.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Maraming salamat po, Gerbo for the fast reply.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Isuzu Sportivo Break-in and turbo