New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    To all those with the turbo charged 4ja1's and 4jb1's...

What usually are the signs that your turbo has conked out? (ofcourse without dismantling the intake to check the turbine)

This for my pickup...reason for asking is that it had a leak around the turbo housing (see my thread under workshop) and now its gone and i didn't have it serviced yet but now i've never seen it wet (nagpapawis kse eh) so i was wondring if it died or what...didn't notice any change with pulling power...

One of our dozer continuously spewed out white smoke when its turbo finally had it...is this true for all?

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    a turbo with a bad oil seal will let oil leak into the turbine or compressor. If the leak is at the turbine side, this will result in the white smoke at your exhaust. If the leak is on the compressor side, the oil will be burned in the engine. If the turbo is equipted with an intercooler, you can check inside the intercooler if there is a film of oil coating it.

A bad oil seal on a turbo will not kill it immediately but it will make the engine consume oil enough to make it go "empty" in a few days.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    OT
    Ghost, i am HOOKED on Mythbusters too excellent show!

4. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    a couple of signs that the turbo has gone kaput is no pulling power or really noticeable decreased pulling power, a loud whine (the turbos on the supra does that freaky turbo death whine that is hair-raising, i kid you not)...

aside from the smoke mentioned din.

take off the tubings on the compressor side na rin and try to freewheel din the compressor and see if it moves with no hindrances. if it has noticeable side-to-side play, not good din yan. and see if the blades are in good condition (no cracked or chipped blades).

5. jagxtrm Guest
    sir ghosthunter...

may possibility ba na maipon yng oil sa intercooler, let's say a pint or two dahil merong leak sa turbo - compressor side??

napansin ko kc sa engine ko after running 3,500 kms, naging 1/2 na lng ang level nya sa dipstick, pero before nasa full level naman cya.

sa tingin nyo may leak sa oil seal ng turbo ko?

currently i'm still 'investigating' the case of the missing oil ... ok naman ang exhaust, clear naman ang nilalabas. 1,500 na lng and change oil na rin. :D

6. Join Date
    Jan 2005
    here's what i saw when i took off the tubings on mine.

if you notice, may oil dun sa intake side ng turbo but this is still normal. now if you took off the tubings and saw A LOT of oil dun, then may problema yung oil seal, and magiipon ng oil sa intercooler.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by jagxtrm
    sir ghosthunter...

may possibility ba na maipon yng oil sa intercooler, let's say a pint or two dahil merong leak sa turbo - compressor side??
    it is possible.

napansin ko kc sa engine ko after running 3,500 kms, naging 1/2 na lng ang level nya sa dipstick, pero before nasa full level naman cya.

sa tingin nyo may leak sa oil seal ng turbo ko?

currently i'm still 'investigating' the case of the missing oil ... ok naman ang exhaust, clear naman ang nilalabas. 1,500 na lng and change oil na rin. :D

missing engine oil is a clear warning that something is wrong and oil in your intercooler means an oil leak at the compressor side of your turbo.

8. jagxtrm Guest
    thanks guys for the info!

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Beetols,
    Bili ka na ng fuego..hehe. But seriously, why don't you have it checked para wala ka na iniisip. While youre at it, ipa compression test mo na rin.

10. Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Thanks guys! very informative...=) i'll try to remove the tubings and see for myself, can also be part of good preventive maintenance.

*djerms...i'm currently not thinking of getting new pickup kse very satisfied naman ako sa performance nya ngayon...i think i can live with its bit of a sluggish pull...ill have it repainted na this summer! hehehe.

Busted turbo...