New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    My alterra '07 MT was serviced by Gencars Makati last March 30, 2011 and they replaced the gasket of my engine block because they saw a leak. 4 months later its leaking again. I ran less than 2000 kms since then and no extreme driving conditions. Do they give warranties on their works/ service? Cause last time it cost me 15k just to have it checked and way way more to fix the problem. Thanks

2. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alv555 View Post
    My alterra '07 MT was serviced by Gencars Makati last March 30, 2011 and they replaced the gasket of my engine block because they saw a leak. 4 months later its leaking again. I ran less than 2000 kms since then and no extreme driving conditions. Do they give warranties on their works/ service? Cause last time it cost me 15k just to have it checked and way way more to fix the problem. Thanks
    Are you referring to a head gasket oil leak? That would be most unusual, in my view.

Check your coolant level. A head gasket leak usually shows up first as a coolant problem.

Please be more specific as to where the leak is (top, middle, lower, front, rear, which side, etc.) and, how "bad".

Refer to your prior repair bill. What, specifically were you charged for?

Report back as soon as possible, and, I will try to advise you.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Hi Uncle Nick, coolant level seems to be fine. I can't exactly pinpoint where the leak is coming from but there is always an oil spot in my garage. Facing the left front wheel, it would be about two feet behind it. I opted for major checkup last time with Gencars Makati. Labor charges included replace all fluids, radiator was overhauled, radiator hoses was replaced, and a "pull down engine to correct oil leak" among others. I remember the service advisor telling me they changed the gaskets. Right now my oil dip stick is showing minimum already. And the oil pressure warning light in the dash board is starting to flicker but just faintly. Basically I want to know if I could get Gencars to try and fix the problem for free or at a discount since it was only 4 months ago since they saw and rectified the oil leak.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alv555 View Post
    Hi Uncle Nick, coolant level seems to be fine. I can't exactly pinpoint where the leak is coming from but there is always an oil spot in my garage. Facing the left front wheel, it would be about two feet behind it. I opted for major checkup last time with Gencars Makati. Labor charges included replace all fluids, radiator was overhauled, radiator hoses was replaced, and a "pull down engine to correct oil leak" among others. I remember the service advisor telling me they changed the gaskets. Right now my oil dip stick is showing minimum already. And the oil pressure warning light in the dash board is starting to flicker but just faintly. Basically I want to know if I could get Gencars to try and fix the problem for free or at a discount since it was only 4 months ago since they saw and rectified the oil leak.
    First--Don't run out of oil, add if necessary.

I think they are obligated by their own words on the invoice. "Pull down engine to correct oil leak"....implies exactly what it says. In my view, they would seem to not have done that.

My advice;

Approach them very friendly, not sarcastically, and say "I paid you to correct an oil leak. But I have had to add oil, here is my receipt. What will you do for me at your expense?"

Do not argue, but be firm.

They should pull down the engine again (if necessary), for free, and look to see what they missed. You may have to pay for additional gaskets and/or work that is required.....but you should not pay again to pull down the engine.

Have a talk with them, in person, at first to see what they have to say.

It could very well, and I would think, it is a minor repair to correct the present leak, but finding it may be difficult. That, is their problem and their expense.

Let us know how you make out. We are here for you.

I would be interested in other opinons from fellow Tsikoteers----Being a foreigner, I am not versed in Philippines customer relations.

Ciao!

Uncle Nick.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Thanks again for that invaluable advice. Im proud to say that im good at talking to customer service and the likes. The way you specified in dealing with them would work if not perfectly. Im not expecting them to fork out for everything, just the labor. Im willing to pay fairly for my part. Will keep you posted.

On a side note, i went to the "casa" and not just any mechanic cause i thought it would be a breeze for them to keep my ride in shape. I guess its a case to case basis..

Alterra engine block oil leak