New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    hi guys!

we sold our van and we are now looking for a 2nd hand pickup. the most promising one i saw(based on the price, durability, features, availability of parts, and looks) is the 2003 isuzu fuego ls 4x2. although we are still looking around for a good deal from the right person who took care of their rig, I have a few concerns I hope you guys can help me with;

1.) what issues does this engine have? because most of the ones I see here are the turbo models and I kinda have a bad experience with buying a 2nd hand turbo- diesel powered vehicle.

2.) for those who own or have owned this particular vehicle, or one with the same engine also, what headaches have you experienced and what things should I look for when viewing it up close?

3.) also, compared to the 4ja1, how much is the difference with the parts?

4.) what signs should I look for in the engine and other parts when being inspected?

5.) the one i saw was being sold for 419k but I couldn't contact the seller since the ad was posted dec last yr, so I'm assuming that it has already been sold. How much is the price range going for this vehicle now?

6.) any other points I've over looked that should be put into consideration?

7.) if ever, any other model suggestion with the same grade and price we should consider?

tia guys and hope you can help me!!

more power to you tsikot gurus!!

2. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by cbgavin View Post
    hi guys!

we sold our van and we are now looking for a 2nd hand pickup. the most promising one i saw(based on the price, durability, features, availability of parts, and looks) is the 2003 isuzu fuego ls 4x2. although we are still looking around for a good deal from the right person who took care of their rig, I have a few concerns I hope you guys can help me with;

1.) what issues does this engine have? because most of the ones I see here are the turbo models and I kinda have a bad experience with buying a 2nd hand turbo- diesel powered vehicle.

2.) for those who own or have owned this particular vehicle, or one with the same engine also, what headaches have you experienced and what things should I look for when viewing it up close?

3.) also, compared to the 4ja1, how much is the difference with the parts?

4.) what signs should I look for in the engine and other parts when being inspected?

5.) the one i saw was being sold for 419k but I couldn't contact the seller since the ad was posted dec last yr, so I'm assuming that it has already been sold. How much is the price range going for this vehicle now?

6.) any other points I've over looked that should be put into consideration?

7.) if ever, any other model suggestion with the same grade and price we should consider?

tia guys and hope you can help me!!

more power to you tsikot gurus!!
    AFAIK isuzu's non crdi engines are bulletproof

3. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Hi. I have a 2003 Fuego 4x2. Also bought it second hand few years back with 44K on the odometer.

Price was 500 thousand. Manual. Naka-lift up na with 265/70/15 tires at may bedcover na rin.

The engine is 4ja1-turbo. No issues so far. Probably with the exception of the noise. Maingay talaga.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    For 4ja1 and 4jb1 hard starting maybe an issue. Be sure to check a rig that will permit you to cold start it. Direct injection engines have higher compression and hard starting will either mean poor compression or injection pump problems.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 4JGtootsie View Post
    For 4ja1 and 4jb1 hard starting maybe an issue. Be sure to check a rig that will permit you to cold start it. Direct injection engines have higher compression and hard starting will either mean poor compression or injection pump problems.
    good thing our 4Jb1-T is one click start kahit bitinin mo pa ang pag start aandar parin

have a mechanic check at the unit. pa tignan mo kung ok paba ang compression. noon we are about to buy a pajero, had a mechanic checked, (pero not as soon as we saw it. mga ilang days after pa. after the test drive) knowing loss compression pala ito. so we didn't buy it. check din other vital parts like brakes, suspension, underchassis, etc.

big con lang sa isuzu traditional diesels is maingay ito. haven't tried to sound insulate but maybe it would help. the noise is caused by the timing gear, but it turn it is almost indestructible unlike timing belt, which you have to change every 80k kms yata, not so sure. another thing they are quite of a smoke belcher. buga ng black smoke na ang sama sa ilong. at isa pa, mawawala ang pogi points mo kasi lakas umutot ng oto mo but like what SQ said, isuzu engines are rock solid. of course if given the proper care. may nakaka 500k km pa nga bago i overhaul. den pag katapos ng overhaul takbo nanaman hehehe..

sa parts, i think may slight edge ang 4ja1. pero hindi naman cguro ganun kalaki ang deperensya ng price ng 4ja1 and 4jb1. ang 4ja1 din matipid kahit hindi crdi. pti 4jb1 matipid din, pero mas matipid talaga ang 4ja1.

4JB1/ 4JB1-T and isuzu fuego concern