New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by jojopad View Post
    Ordinary baking soda is good enough for getting rid of nasty smell, but will not disinfect the carpets. Eventually molds will be back during the rainy season.

A thorough carpet detailing will be needed to get rid of those gremlins.

I find dehumidifier like those found at blade and ace hardware ineffective. Sprinkling some baking soda and sucking these with a vacuum cleaner every week is more effective at least in my experience.
    How come I don't get this problem? How fast does mold grow in your car during the rainy season? Maybe your car is well sheltered from the sun in a poorly ventilated garage?

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tsikot Forums mobile app

2. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by papi smith View Post
    How come I don't get this problem? How fast does mold grow in your car during the rainy season? Maybe your car is well sheltered from the sun in a poorly ventilated garage?

I had that "spore's car" when I left it for about five months.
    What A Big Mess!

3. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by Archerfish View Post
    I had that "spore's car" when I left it for about five months.
    What A Big Mess!
    Took me a few seconds to get that tag What A Big Mess!

4. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Took me a few seconds to get that tag What A Big Mess!

I took it from this guy!
    What A Big Mess!

Quote Originally Posted by StockEngine View Post
    Spores Car

5. Join Date
    Nov 2017

Car garage queen in a cabin like garage. The garage is not totally enclosed but not much sunlight going in.

There are only two cars in my family's garage that are so prone to molds:

18 yo Honda Accord
    8 yo Ford Fiesta

Both are garage queens but the ford fiesta is parked in a not-so-enclosed garage. There's a bit of sunlight coming in.

My 3yo Mazda3 is also parked at the same garage with the Accord, also a garage queen. No molds or anything nasty even during the rainy season. The accord always get the molds.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Thanks for the reply, while we are on the topic of garage queens, what's the proper way to keep them running well when you need them? Use/run them every week/month? Charge the battery every? My first time to have a garage queen, as a backup to our new but for reliability observation, Ford territory. I would have sold this immediately if I bought a reliable jap brand hehe...

7. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Thanks for the reply, while we are on the topic of garage queens, what's the proper way to keep them running well when you need them? Use/run them every week/month? Charge the battery every? My first time to have a garage queen, as a backup to our new but for reliability observation, Ford territory. I would have sold this immediately if I bought a reliable jap brand hehe...

What I usually do is leave the car charged with CTEK and leave it, 24/7. I simply remove it once I use the car. The longest time I didn't use the car was about five months, and that's where I got the "spore's car".
    What A Big Mess!

I'm also interested with the other's practice on what they do to their garage Queens.

For large engines, like the one used onboard vessels, they have a turning gear. It is used to rotate the flywheel for a few turns, so as to circulate the oil and confirm moving parts. For small engines like used in generators, it is manually turned. For the main engine, whose bore can be as large as one meter, there's a motor that will engage the pinion gear to the flywheel.

I don't know if there's an equivalent method of doing this for cars.

8. Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Spores are everywhere. All fungi need to grow are moisture, food and a dark, unventilated place. I just leave 2-3 500/700 mL disposable dehumidifiers in our cars and replace them when full. Seems to do the trick.
    Last edited by Wh1stl3r; June 18th, 2021 at 01:38 PM.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Last year during the pandemic months with total lockdown, I drove my car around the neighborhood for 1-2km every 2 weeks on a sunday.

Kept the tire pressure around 36 psi.

Followed a regular battery charging session using ctek for 5 cars, 2 cars a day (4 hours each). My 3yo ctek broke down last Dec 2020. Got a warranty replacement last Jan. Brand new again.

Monthly diy car wash with quick detailing with P&S Beadmaker. Also did interior sanitation and detailing to keep the cabin mold free.

I checked the engine bay and surrounding area for signs of rats and other pests. I placed racumin rat poison at strategic locations around the garage.

10. Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Good thing you mentioned about the tire pressure. It is recommended to have it a bit higher than the usual, to avoid "flat spot". Otherwise, you drive around every other week.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast