New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Is it okay to put seat covers, fabric or leatherette over car seats with side airbags? I read somewhere that it is not safe to install seat covers on this type of seats as it may hamper the airbag operation. Meron naman nagsabi na it is okay as they use different type of stitching material over the side with airbag so it will break easily in case the airbag inflates. Stil thinking if I will put seat covers or just leave it as is and just apply fabric protectant instead.

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    It is NOT safe to cover the airbags. Even if the covers have special stitching, it WILL still hamper/affect the proper inflation of the airbag. Don't risk your safety just because you want to keep the seats clean. No need for fabric protection either. Most seat materials are now water, stain and dust resistant already. There are also several types of cleaners in case the seats get smudged. Search online for how manufacturers select the type of seat materials.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Do you really think that local seat cover shops have even tried and tested their products on cars with side airbags?

Of course they'll tell you it's okay, a sale is a sale.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Thanks for the replies. Would rather not put seat covers and just keep the seats clean.

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    FWIW, you can still use a seat cover that will not, in any way, interfere with the deployment. If you can find out or research how the side airbags deploy on your car, you may be able to customize a seat cover to have cutouts where the SRS pops out.

6. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    How will you do that? By testing the airbag deployment with several different seat covers using a crash test dummy?

7. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    How will you do that? By testing the airbag deployment with several different seat covers using a crash test dummy?
    Of course. And good news... You have dibs being the first dummy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Join Date
    Oct 2012
    sino na naka try ng heavy duty canvass seat covers? 9500 sa seatmate 💰💰💰

i have a feeling lahat naka leather lol 😅

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tsikot Forums mobile app