New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    buti amag lang. sakin may itim na langgam at ipis pa kung minsan. ewwwwww! plano ko na rin na tanggaling ang upuan, carpet, at palitan ang carpet backing this weekend. mejo may katandaan na carpet kaya nililigawan ng ants and cockroach. hehehe
    Water-based Baygon. Leave the car sealed overnight and reapply again the next day and re-seal the car for another night. Vacuum the upholstery and air out the car the following day.

Just a suggestion. :D

2. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by miked View Post
    buti amag lang. sakin may itim na langgam at ipis pa kung minsan. ewwwwww! plano ko na rin na tanggaling ang upuan, carpet, at palitan ang carpet backing this weekend. mejo may katandaan na carpet kaya nililigawan ng ants and cockroach. hehehe
    mas iniipis daw pag kumakain sa loob ng kotse:P

inaamag pala loob? yung akin nagwhite spots dati dahil sa pangit na pangkintab ng vinyl.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    Tried those, GH. Parang placebo effect lang. It DOES accept moisture pero it seems that it doesn't absorb it fast enough. It's quicker to just turn on the A/C at the coldest setting every couple of days for a few minutes to dehumidify the interior.
    Doesn't this do the exact opposite, i.e., introduce humidity into the interior?

There have been a lot of complaints of sour smell coming from the aircon ducts right after turning on the A/C, but when the compressor starts cooling the ducts and interior, the smell goes away (or gets masked).

Honda’s Tips on Proper Use of Car Aircon

Summer is officially here! Honda Cars Philippines, Inc. imparts practical tips on proper use and maintenance of car air-conditioning unit to beat the summer heat. The air-conditioning unit is an indispensable item in today’s car especially in a tropical country such as ours.

In new cars, problems hardly ever occur but after a length of time, depending on the working conditions, its efficiency naturally diminishes. So, it is advisable that car owners know how to properly use and maintain the car’s air-con system in order to obtain the longest possible service.

Here are the following suggestions:

* Check the position of the compressor control switch (A/C knob) if it is in the ‘open’ or ‘shut off’ position. One should shut if off before starting the engine. This will avoid unnecessary drag caused by the compressor while cranking the engine.
    * Once the engine runs on, switch the fan on first. Blow the air-con’s fan at the highest speed for about a minute in order to clear away the hot air trapped in the air-con’s ducts. Then, depress the A/C knob to turn the compressor on at coolest temperature. The next step is to adjust the fan speed and temperature control switch to the level most comfortable to you.
    * Switch off the compressor before cutting off the engine. Keep the fan on at highest speed so that it blows away all humidity trapped inside the evaporator or ‘air-box.’ This will help eliminate the smell of stale air when you subsequently turn on air-con again, and at the same time, to lengthen the service of the evaporator. The process only takes about 2-3 minutes.
    Quote Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
    I used to smell bad air from the acu. Mine happened only on the initial blast of fan air when I turn on the acu in the morning. The sour smell will quickly disappear once the compressor was turned on. One of the supervisors of the car dealer advised me to remove my acu air cleaner and keep the thermostat to full maximum position. It didn't work.

I also fumigated the interior with anti-mold and mildew product made in Japan. It didn't work.

I sprayed Lysol (two types of scents) into the air vents. Didn't work. I tried to mask the smell by pressurized air freshener and hanged that little thing in the air vents. Didn't work.

I came to the conclusions that any chemical preparation inside the car has a bad effect on the acu air. The other conclusion is that the air inside the car gets polluted over time and you need to replace it with fresh air. Of course, if your car's interior is dirty, so will the circulating air be.

Finally, I removed all air fresheners from the car. Totally. No more spraying of anything, no more California scents. I vacuum the car's interior at least once every week. I remove and clean all floor mats and hang them under the sun and opened all doors and expose the car's interior to direct sunlight for several hours every Saturday. Before I turn off the engine at night I leave the fan turned on for about 3 minutes with thermostat turned to heater (mild) to blow dry the acu air ducts. I wash the seat covers once in two months. I do not allow eating inside the car (mostly ignored by my wife and daughter.)

Quite a lot of work on my part, but it worked. The bad smell of fan air was gone. Wala na yung maasim na amoy. Now that the air inside is as fresh as outside I get a hint of that showroom smell you were talking about, hehehe.

I also have an air ionizer on the cigarrette lighter and I am aware that some cars have no air cleaner on their air con system. Mine has and I have just replaced it with a new one. But even discounting these two items, the above practice worked very well in keeping my car's interior smelling clean and natural. Most of all, we are no longer bothered by the smell of car fresheners! Alam nyo, sa totoo lang, napakaginhawa ng pakiramdam namin nung mawala na ang air fresherner sa loob ng kotse namin. Sa amin lang naman po.

Hope this helps.
    More posts about this in the Innova thread: http://tsikot.yehey.com/forums/showt...43356&page=655

Dehumidifiers like the ones in GH's post are effective in minimizing the sour smell, because when I removed mine, despite following the full-blast FANS + compressor OFF tip, the sour smell came back. I believe both are needed to minimize or get rid of the sour smell.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    I see you've solved the problem yourself, on your car.

Quote Originally Posted by oj88 View Post
    The only work-around is to replace the OEM cabin filter with aftermarket ones. Choose a cabin filter that employs treated filter media designed to inhibit fungi, mold and bacterial growth.

I have been using a cabin filter called CaireFresh for several months on my Civic. Bought it from a friend at teamfd, which he got from Singapore. The odor has not come back since I got rid of the OEM filter.

http://www.gaftech.com/automotive.htm

5. Join Date
    Nov 2008
    ganyan din ang naging case ng isa naming sasakyan. ang ginawa ko lang eh spray lang ng Lysol. after nun, nawala na. pero kailangan pa rin na palage mong mini-maintain yung sasakyan para hindi na bumalik.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Inaamag ang loob ng car ko?