New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    hi tsikot..
    our starex 2006 CRDi is approaching 60kms and i want to do a preventive maintenance of replacing the Timing belt.. or is it a chain for this model? and also.. how many kms does the timing belt need to be replaced. (60k, 80k, 100k?)? If timing chain.. as i understood it, it wouldn't need replacement right?

thanks a lot!

2. Join Date
    Feb 2010
    sir, what is installed inside the engine is the timing chain and i think the one you're referring is what we call the serpentine (fan) belt a CRDI engine has only one fan belt system that is connected to the alternator, air compressor, water pump and fan assembly which has to replaced every 80kkms...timing gear don't need to be replaced unless broken down, HTH.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks! i was referring to my experience with our ESi hondai civic. The car wouldn't start since the Timing belt needs replacement. I also heard that this is a difficult procedure since its inside the engine. Ever since i have been cautious whenever i have i reached high mileage to replace the timing belt. So, if the timing mechanism is a chain.. then it wouldnt need urgent replacement. thanks much!

4. Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Yes it has a timing chain, actually you can go over 100k and not replace it. Unless of course its already making weird sounds. When i overhauled my crdi grx i got to verify that it is indeed chain driven hehe.

5. Join Date
    Mar 2006
    thanks sa feedback pips ;)

6. Join Date
    Feb 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by poorprince View Post
    thanks sa feedback pips ;)
    I know this is an old thread but does anyone know where I can buy a set of timing chain, guide, tensioner and gear for my old 2007 starex crdi and how much does these cost?

Starex 2006 CRDi - Timing Belt or Chain?