New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    So, just got off the phone with the service adviser at one of the Hyundai CASAs

VGT Solenoid on our 2011 Starex is apparently broken and is no longer covered by warranty. Apparently, Hyundai's 5 year warranty is just a 3 year warranty + 2 years on other parts that probably won't break within the lifespan of the car.

Will cost ~10++k for the part alone, aside from the fuel flushing etc that cost near 7k~ to diagnose low power on the Starex IMMEDIATELY AFTER TAKING THE CAR OUT FROM CASA AFTER a PMS.

The car is just 3 years and a few months old, traveled less than 40K kilometers and has been serviced at a CASA ever since.

<Start of General Rant>

This is disappointing, considering this purchase of a Hyundai was our first and has been nothing but expensive maintenance--

--Expensive PMS (granted, it is a big car), but nowhere near the cost of a Toyota PMS for our LC120, among our other Toyotas
    --Front/Rear Brakes replaced twice already (whereas our LC120 has hardly gone through it's original set)
    --Aircon filter clogging up 2-3x within 3 years
    --Steering wheel tilting/alignment issue the CASA cannot seem to fix
    --Random creaks and the occasional clunking sound in the transmission the CASA calls normal
    --CASA with new findings about suspension issues that are coming up and should be fixed soon (the only other car we had with issues this early was our FD and its notorious engine support).

Disappointing, considering the 5 year warranty was a big selling point. My mistake though for not reading the fine print.

Just my rant and a fair warning to buyers I suppose.

Edit: And for current Hyundai owners, better get your cars checked comprehensively before your first 3 years are up! Sayang lang kung hindi
    5yr warranty is a marketing ploy that brought about a false sense of security to gullible consumers

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    4th and 5th year yung insurance mo na ang sasagot yun kung naka compre ka.

3. Join Date
    May 2006
    how much of a price difference can you get if you dont want to avail of any warranty at all? would someone compute the amount you end up paying over 5 years for the required PMS? then compare it to having it done outside of CASA? thnks..

4. Join Date
    May 2006
    Yan ang magandang tanong...pwede na kaya yung Gold sa P1.2M, bahala na ako kahit masira mamaya pag uwi sa bahay

5. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by mda View Post
    So, just got off the phone with the service adviser at one of the Hyundai CASAs

VGT Solenoid on our 2011 Starex is apparently broken and is no longer covered by warranty. Apparently, Hyundai's 5 year warranty is just a 3 year warranty + 2 years on other parts that probably won't break within the lifespan of the car.

Will cost ~10++k for the part alone, aside from the fuel flushing etc that cost near 7k~ to diagnose low power on the Starex IMMEDIATELY AFTER TAKING THE CAR OUT FROM CASA AFTER a PMS.

The car is just 3 years and a few months old, traveled less than 40K kilometers and has been serviced at a CASA ever since.

<Start of General Rant>

This is disappointing, considering this purchase of a Hyundai was our first and has been nothing but expensive maintenance--

--Expensive PMS (granted, it is a big car), but nowhere near the cost of a Toyota PMS for our LC120, among our other Toyotas
    --Front/Rear Brakes replaced twice already (whereas our LC120 has hardly gone through it's original set)
    --Aircon filter clogging up 2-3x within 3 years
    --Steering wheel tilting/alignment issue the CASA cannot seem to fix
    --Random creaks and the occasional clunking sound in the transmission the CASA calls normal
    --CASA with new findings about suspension issues that are coming up and should be fixed soon (the only other car we had with issues this early was our FD and its notorious engine support).

Disappointing, considering the 5 year warranty was a big selling point. My mistake though for not reading the fine print.

Just my rant and a fair warning to buyers I suppose.

Edit: And for current Hyundai owners, better get your cars checked comprehensively before your first 3 years are up! Sayang lang kung hindi
    ASk Goodgear or Seiring if they have the VGT solenoid part. For sure they can find that part. Frustrating talaga ang hyundai with regards to reliability compared sa japanese. Bulok pa ang HARI with customer satisfaction.
    Ang Kia cars ba reliable since sister companies sila?

6. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    5yr warranty is a marketing ploy that brought about a false sense of security to gullible consumers

Posted via Tsikot Mobile App
    Kasama na ako dito sa gullible customers. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by JJB View Post
    ASk Goodgear or Seiring if they have the VGT solenoid part. For sure they can find that part. Frustrating talaga ang hyundai with regards to reliability compared sa japanese. Bulok pa ang HARI with customer satisfaction.
    Ang Kia cars ba reliable since sister companies sila?
    Deciding between that and having this last bit done sa CASA. AFAIK while Hyundai and Kia are sister companies, the distributors are different here. Si CAC ata yung Kia dito, but I'm guessing build quality will be the same (which is to say, in our experience, not good).

Quote Originally Posted by gts View Post
    Try to give central diesel a call. I was there last week and there were 2 to 3 starex with the same vgt solenoid problem. Maybe they can find a cheaper source from korea.
    Thanks for this. Been hearing good things about Central Diesel. Do they also do overall PMS na rin in case diyan na namin "ililipat" yung Starex namin?

Quote Originally Posted by Syuryuken View Post
    4th and 5th year yung insurance mo na ang sasagot yun kung naka compre ka.
    This is also something I haven't heard before. Neither has the SA told me about this. Not sure where part failure falls dun sa insurance (if at all), unless it's a special thing with their in-house (which we did not avail of).

-----

Up until now, walang balita sa unit haha.
    Last edited by mda; May 9th, 2014 at 09:59 AM.

7. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    I have always viewed HARI's 5-year warranty with some skepticism. HARI is not like Honda or Toyota Philippines who are owned by huge conglomerates. In addition, the prices HARI charges for PMS are too much.

It appears that the brakes of the Starex are too small for its weight. My dad owns a 2002 Starex SVX CRDi (with almost 190,000 kms) and we often change the pads and shoes. We usually change the pads and shoes around twice a year. It's better than having to refinish the discs.

You are probably better off buying the parts on your own and getting a good mechanic to service your ride.

8. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    AKo gray market unit ko, same with 5 year warranty sa HARI. One time nasira back up camera ko, then dinala ko sa dealer. They are charging me for replacement since 1 year lang daw warranty ng electricals ng units nila.
    I decided na wag palitan, and sa Servitek lang ako ngppa PMS. Parehas lang yan, hanap kayo alternative, wag matakot sa casa.

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    the unfortunate truth is.. that most of the CASA workers are just doin OJT.. walang mga experience..

10. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Extended warranties really are very limited. Got suckered into one before... then found out it was only for very specific portions of the drivetrain and chassis (anti-corrosion... typically won't have to worry about that within five years).

Electrical sensors and other parts... nope. Nada. Out of luck.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Read the Fine Print Before You Buy -- Hyundai 5 year warranty