New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by yebo View Post
    Which only means that you've been lucky so far.

putting it in N on a downward slope? Wow! Just when you need engine braking! The better drivers (not you obviously) will downshift for even better engine braking. Do not be surprised later if you are on a long downhill road (like going down from baguio or even just tagaytay) and your brakes fade due to overheating, just because you do not know how to properly use your engine. Have you ever wondered why there are signs "USE LOW GEAR" when going down mountain roads?
    SORRY po pero iclear ko lang, one straight downward slope. If ever napadaan ka sa may Hillcrest Pasig (yung motel area doon), may straight

downward slope doon na may 2 set ng rumble strips. if naka set sa "D" nagiincrease ng speed and continuous upshift.

Of course ibang case yung sa Baguio and Tagaytay or even Antipolo... Never ko ginawa yon doon. downward slalom yun eh..

wag kayong high blood...hahaha!

2. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    ^^^ You can switch on overdrive or shift to lower gear. Newer ATs are smarter though, it will downshift when necessary.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    D to N at speed just about to stop (mga 10-5kph) I think is ok. But shifting to N at a downward slope? Never done that to an automatic. Since I've mentioned earlier that I'm a long time MT driver. I always value and know the importance of engine breaking... it saved my life one time the brakes of our L300 delivery van failed. However, I noticed in an AT at downhill, if you just rely on engine breaking the whole decent di masyado ramdam medyo mabilis pa din usad. Unlike in an MT when you shift to 1 while decent talagang hangang 20kph ka lang, of course with heavy stress on the engine due to high RPM...
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilside View Post
    hmmmm I usually shift from D to N while decelerating. Approaching intersection/stoplight.

Also kapag sobrang downward slope yung kalsada, naka neutral ako para malessen yung momentum and mas madali magdecelerate.

and from D to +/- while in slow moving motion (hindi na ko nagpfull stop when shifting)

for 2 years ko na ginagawa yon and wala pa naman weird na naeexperience sa tucson ko.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    This is also what I notice pag "D" lang parang mabilis pa din usad, never experienced on a long downward slope na nag shift ba kamo at speed? Sa mall parking ko pa lang kasi na try. Going dowm sa Antipolo naman after my car's blessing no traffic so D lang talaga. I guess if you really need engine breaking use manual shifting override ang AT, sa oldies AT yung D1 ba yun and sa mga newbie AT yung sport mode na +/- and just stay at 1st gear.
    SORRY po pero iclear ko lang, one straight downward slope. If ever napadaan ka sa may Hillcrest Pasig (yung motel area doon), may straight

downward slope doon na may 2 set ng rumble strips. if naka set sa "D" nagiincrease ng speed and continuous upshift.

Of course ibang case yung sa Baguio and Tagaytay or even Antipolo... Never ko ginawa yon doon. downward slalom yun eh..

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002

Mali ka pa din. When you step on the brakes it will automatically downshift. Or you can downshift by yourself.

Hahaha!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234