New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Greetings!

Just acquired a '02 Starex SVX model yesterday. It has a Manual Tranny and this is the my first time owning one. Please share your experience with this vehicle and tips like what is the best engine oil and other maintenance for this van.

Thanks and more power to Tsikot!

2. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    had a starex rv before, problems encountered were malfunctioning speedometer, odometer n fuel gauge, a/t tranny wont shift beyond 2nd gear(happened 1 tym), driver n passenger side door handles broke after more than a year. other than those things it ran perfectly. had to sold it due to overuse hehe

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The switches for the interior lamp have a tendency to break. Best advice: don't play with the switches. Just control them form the master control on the dashboard.

The door handle mechanism can break if you manhandle the doors. But I think that was on earlier models.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    The first gen Starex of my friend also experienced the a/t tranny problem (not going beyond 2nd gear). The older ones also had some rust problems but this has also been addressed AFAIK.

The newer ones are pretty much reliable, just change all the filters (fuel, air), drain and change the oil, tranny fluid, brake fluid, PS, and differential fluid para sure ka sa bagong ride mo then consider getting rustproofing and undercoating.

On the a/c system, i'm not sure on the reliability, maybe the other Starex owners can give some idea.

5. Join Date
    Dec 2003
    a/c was troublefree on our starex for more than 2 years of constant use. cold as ever when we sold it.

bili rin bro ko ng crdi na model. any feedbacks on the engine?

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    the very first units of the starex developed premature rust on the fenders.

i think this was corrected on the 2000-up models

8. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1
    the very first units of the starex developed premature rust on the fenders.

i think this was corrected on the 2000-up models
    Lahar from PPC told me about this. Very First units especially those from black market has this foam in the fender that insulate road noise. Di ata pinalitan or tinanggal kaya naipon yung tubig sa foam, nakadikit palagi yung foam sa fender, ayun - lusaw ang fender :D

Aircon, no problem. One of the reason why we bought Starex...Parang Nissan sa lamig Riding comport is my priority in getting a car, not Brand.

9. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Got the unit pala for 620K, '02 model, SVX, 29K Mileage (Nakakaduda, kaya pina-check ko sa casa, di naman daw ginalaw)

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Hindi naman impossible ang mileage na iyan. 20K kms pa lang yata yung '01 Sentra ni utol. hehehe.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Pls Share: Starex tips and common problem