New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Hmmm i think the FC would be dependent on the oil's viscosity. 0W-30 vs 5w-40 is probably the reason for your better FC.

I think the API/ACEA rating would be more of how the oil would protect your engine, if it can handle the pressure and stress, and stand up to the wear and tear being given by the engine.

Either way, that Mobil FS should be better than the HGMO.
    Agree, although a 20% improvement is still outrageous going from a 40 to 30 weight oil. The Mobil 1 is rated API service SN, ACEA A1/B1 & A5/B5 by the way.

2. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    The EPA absolutely hates zinc, though it is better for the engine.
    Zinc is an anti-wear component in motor oil but it also kills the catalytic converter (which is a very expensive part to replace, btw). This is why zinc has been reduced iteratively in every subsequent API spec since SH. It is worthwhile to note also that the reduced levels of Zinc (and Phosphorous) affect older engines (with Flat tappets) more than it does newer engines.

On the other hand the current specification (SN) requires the highest level of the anti-wear component Molybdenum to date, which IMHO is all around better for new cars. Besides, you get the "Moly plating" effect which is more persistent than the straight up lubrication you get with zinc (which flows down with the oil when you turn the engine off). This makes it better for cold starts which is where lubrication additives matter most.

Actually, kinda think about it now, I wonder if the reduced valve tappet sound in my Tuc is because of the thinner oil viscosity or the move from SM to SN rated oil.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfopiso View Post
    to owners of Tucs CRDI, forced to use HGMO (im assuming na CF rated), how is your FC and engine so far?
    Lakas ng FC ko.. gamit ko na ung EURO IV ng UniOil wala prin.. Next change oil ko, magdadala na ako ng sarili.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by elviar View Post
    Lakas ng FC ko.. gamit ko na ung EURO IV ng UniOil wala prin.. Next change oil ko, magdadala na ako ng sarili.
    how about yung sound ng engine? hindi ba affected ng CF rated HGMO?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by elviar View Post
    how about yung sound ng engine? hindi ba affected ng CF rated HGMO?

5. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    dati yata eh galing OWS (germany) yung HGMO

- - - Updated - - -

dati yata eh galing OWS (germany) yung HGMO

6. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by dfopiso View Post
    FC of my 2.0L Theta II Tucs is 7.3km/li at 60-40% city-highway driving. i have same sound and grunt observation as yours
    I did analysis on my Tucson GLS 2.0 record, these are my FC stats over my recorded period from March 2012 to today:

10,728km on HGMO FS 10W-40

Isolated HWAY records - 2,484.7km 304.0L 8.17km/L
    Isolated CITY records - 5,321.3km 1019.4L 5.22km/L
    Unisolated mixed records - 2,922.0km 509.4L 5.74km/L

Computed mixed cycle - 32/68 h/c ratio 7806.0km 1323.4L 5.89km/L
    TOTAL/AVERAGE - 10,728km 1832.76L 5.85km/L

There are also other stats on gas -
    Petron Xtra is about 3.20% MORE efficient than XCS on the highway
    Petron Xtra is about 0.68% LESS efficient than XCS in city driving
    Petron Xtra is about 1.73% LESS efficient than XCS on a 32/68 mixed cycle

It costs P9.26 per km in fuel and P1.77 per km in maintenance (total of P11.03 per km) to operate the Tucson

7. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    ^ eversince, i only used Shell Nitro+; except in Subic, using XCS (~ 4% of total fuel used for 6 months)

so the viscosity rating affects the health of the engine, right? 5w-40 better than 15w-50

while the API rating affects the FC, right? no diff between SN and SM

- - - Updated - - -

^ eversince, i only used Shell Nitro+; except in Subic, using XCS (~ 4% of total fuel used for 6 months)

so the viscosity rating affects the health of the engine, right? 5w-40 better than 15w-50

while the API rating affects the FC, right? no diff between SN and SM

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    I think not as straight forward as that....

SAE rating (i.e. viscosity) i think would affect FC most noticeably (thinner is more efficient) but would also have a significant effect on engine health/lifespan. Too thick - and you damage your engine on cold starts, too thin, you damage the engine as it gets hot since there's not enough lubrication film between metal parts. For the Tucson Theta II at least: I would pick viscosity in this order:

0W-20 > 0W-30 > 5W-20 > 5W-30 > 10W-30 > 10W-40

I wouldn't put anything above 10W-40 (i.e. 15W-50) in my Tuc.

API tells you what additive contents are in the oil. Zinc, Moly, Phosporous, Boron, detergents and other stuff. You might need to research a bit to know the right API rating, especially if you have an older model car. I would say that SN is best for the Tuc Theta II - better than the SM. Then again, we live in the Philippines. My 89 corolla (that barely runs) would pass emissions tests with flying colors; it might make more practical sense to let the cat converter waste away with an SL or SJ rated oil and extend the engine's life longer with the greater ZDDP/ZDTP. content.

9. Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by micodee07 View Post
    I recall my SA at Hyundai E Rod saying that the FS oil was manufactured in Germany. I wonder if iba-iba ang suppliers kada casa.

In any case, I just got my oil changed sa HQA last weekend, they accepted owner provided oil so I bought Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy. So far my observations are that my cold start engine noise has gone done significantly. In fact yung valve tappeting sounds from cold start would only be audible nalang for about 20-30 seconds compared to about 3-4 mins with the HGMO. Power and response has improved noticeably.

On fuel economy, I have palang the numbers from the instrument panel - I drove my benchmark city route this morning and the reading on my dash panel was 12.9L/100km for my 15km city drive; normally my reading would be around 15.7L/100km for the same route, same traffic conditions. 6.3km/L vs 7.7km/L is about 20% improvement. This far exceeds my expectations; I was only expecting around a 5% improvement. I just got my first full-tank since the oil change this morning. I'll report back my actual fuel economy on my next re-fill.

Sir, anong sabi ng HQA, hindi ba void warranty mo nung nagdala ka ng sariling Oil? corkage fee? sino SA mo sir? thanks!
    *I thought I'm the only one experiencing around 2mins of tappet noise kapag cold start..

Regarding FC, try niyo petron blaze, ewan ko lang kasi sa akin mas OK ang FC ko highway and city driving
    compared sa XCS or VPower nitro+ ng shell. P2 lang naman ang difference.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Veilside View Post
    Regarding FC, try niyo petron blaze, ewan ko lang kasi sa akin mas OK ang FC ko highway and city driving
    Pati sa Sportage Theta, sa Blaze100 ko nakuha best FC at performance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veilside View Post
    Pati sa Sportage Theta, sa Blaze100 ko nakuha best FC at performance.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Motor Oil 101 and how the HGMO policy is not good for Theta II.