New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by IMm29 View Post
    Beg to differ on the diesel rating. CF is an obsolete standard, pang late 90s pa ata. Besides, the minimum VGT requirement is CI-4, so the CF is way off.

Not sure about the GS TCi engines and what their minimum oil requirements are.
    1994 na-introduce yung CF. obsolete na nga.
    http://www.api.org/certifications/en...010_120210.pdf

2. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by bjreyesmd View Post
    The FS HGMO of HQA is also made by Amalie oil in Florida, 5W 40 SN rated, sa diesel it passes the CF rating and ACEA B4 rating. I guess acceptable naman.
    so Amalie ang HGMO supplier ng HARI

3. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Point taken, but also take note that the oil also passes the ACEA B4 standard which is the european counterpart. Im looking at the manual of my SF3, and I cant find any API requirement for the oil, except that it should be ACEA B4 rated. Maybe because yung manual ko is European based?

Anyway, di naman siguro ganun ka-reckless ang HQA to put out of spec oil sa SF3 ko, otherwise magrereklamo ako.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by micodee07 View Post
    Ever since the first PMS of my Tucson, I have been forced by my Hyundai service center to use their HGMO oil. It is a crappy policy by all means. I've had a number of problems - and complaints to Hyundai - including terrible fuel economy (5.3k/L) and very loud valve tappeting sounds on cold starts all pointing to poor or incorrect oil in my engine. Hyundai has refused to allow me to bring my own oil. Unfortunately for me, I think my engine has already been damaged by the wrong spec HGMO oil that Hyundai has been forcing down our throats.

I'd actually hope a HARI executive replies to this thread. I hope HARI can answer the question of why we cannot have a choice on something as trivial as engine oil? Why are we forced to use oil from an unknown manufacturer of a quality, for all we know, could be sub-standard. At the very least HARI should present to us who's the 3rd party manufacturer of this oil and let us choose our own quality oil.
    *TS/micodee: you can visit HARI (walkin will do) at their office at the 10th to 12th Floor, KPMG Center, 6787 Ayala Avenue, Makati (tel 813-6788 to 89)

FC of my 2.0L Theta II Tucs is 7.3km/li at 60-40% city-highway driving. i have same sound and grunt observation as yours

my first change oil, HQA used 15w-50 semi syn. second, HGC used 5w-40 full syn

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Point taken, but also take note that the oil also passes the ACEA B4 standard which is the european counterpart. Im looking at the manual of my SF3, and I cant find any API requirement for the oil, except that it should be ACEA B4 rated. Maybe because yung manual ko is European based?

Anyway, di naman siguro ganun ka-reckless ang HQA to put out of spec oil sa SF3 ko, otherwise magrereklamo ako.
    Well, I certainly hope they're not reckless with our cars. But then I think that can still be debated on. In another thread. Hehehe!

That puzzles me though. Parang by Euro standards it's still within spec, but by American standards it's way off? I can understand if it's SM or SN but just CF, coz that would mean it was mainly meant for gasoline engines and just mixed fleet for diesels. But the comparo is diesel to diesel already. Or am I reading it wrong? Can someone enlighten us?

6. Join Date
    Jun 2007
    to owners of Tucs CRDI, forced to use HGMO (im assuming na CF rated), how is your FC and engine so far?

7. Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Well, I certainly hope they're not reckless with our cars. But then I think that can still be debated on. In another thread. Hehehe!

That puzzles me though. Parang by Euro standards it's still within spec, but by American standards it's way off? I can understand if it's SM or SN but just CF, coz that would mean it was mainly meant for gasoline engines and just mixed fleet for diesels. But the comparo is diesel to diesel already. Or am I reading it
    wrong? Can someone enlighten us?
    Yup, ako din puzzled. Looking at the label, FS HGMO is applicable for all types of engines whether petrol or diesel. Meets SN and CF requirements but also ACEA B4. Pwede ba yun?
    Last edited by bjreyesmd; January 9th, 2013 at 03:22 PM. Reason: additional info

8. Join Date
    Feb 2012
    The FS HGMO of HQA is also made by Amalie oil in Florida, 5W 40 SN rated, sa diesel it passes the CF rating and ACEA B4 rating. I guess acceptable naman.
    I recall my SA at Hyundai E Rod saying that the FS oil was manufactured in Germany. I wonder if iba-iba ang suppliers kada casa.

In any case, I just got my oil changed sa HQA last weekend, they accepted owner provided oil so I bought Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy. So far my observations are that my cold start engine noise has gone done significantly. In fact yung valve tappeting sounds from cold start would only be audible nalang for about 20-30 seconds compared to about 3-4 mins with the HGMO. Power and response has improved noticeably.

On fuel economy, I have palang the numbers from the instrument panel - I drove my benchmark city route this morning and the reading on my dash panel was 12.9L/100km for my 15km city drive; normally my reading would be around 15.7L/100km for the same route, same traffic conditions. 6.3km/L vs 7.7km/L is about 20% improvement. This far exceeds my expectations; I was only expecting around a 5% improvement. I just got my first full-tank since the oil change this morning. I'll report back my actual fuel economy on my next re-fill.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004

That puzzles me though. Parang by Euro standards it's still within spec, but by American standards it's way off? I can understand if it's SM or SN but just CF, coz that would mean it was mainly meant for gasoline engines and just mixed fleet for diesels. But the comparo is diesel to diesel already. Or am I reading it wrong? Can someone enlighten us?
    If I recall, that's just minimum standards, but the oil can exceed it. If the oil meets the required standards in Europe, should be no big deal.

Maybe it doesn't meet US standards because it's full of GTOil.

Anybody have any idea on the zinc content? The EPA absolutely hates zinc, though it is better for the engine.

- - - Updated - - -

If I recall, that's just minimum standards, but the oil can exceed it. If the oil meets the required standards in Europe, should be no big deal.

Maybe it doesn't meet US standards because it's full of GTOil.

Anybody have any idea on the zinc content? The EPA absolutely hates zinc, though it is better for the engine.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by micodee07 View Post
    I recall my SA at Hyundai E Rod saying that the FS oil was manufactured in Germany. I wonder if iba-iba ang suppliers kada casa.

In any case, I just got my oil changed sa HQA last weekend, they accepted owner provided oil so I bought Mobil 1 0W-30 Advanced Fuel Economy. So far my observations are that my cold start engine noise has gone done significantly. In fact yung valve tappeting sounds from cold start would only be audible nalang for about 20-30 seconds compared to about 3-4 mins with the HGMO. Power and response has improved noticeably.

On fuel economy, I have palang the numbers from the instrument panel - I drove my benchmark city route this morning and the reading on my dash panel was 12.9L/100km for my 15km city drive; normally my reading would be around 15.7L/100km for the same route, same traffic conditions. 6.3km/L vs 7.7km/L is about 20% improvement. This far exceeds my expectations; I was only expecting around a 5% improvement. I just got my first full-tank since the oil change this morning. I'll report back my actual fuel economy on my next re-fill.
    Hmmm i think the FC would be dependent on the oil's viscosity. 0W-30 vs 5w-40 is probably the reason for your better FC.

I think the API/ACEA rating would be more of how the oil would protect your engine, if it can handle the pressure and stress, and stand up to the wear and tear being given by the engine.

Either way, that Mobil FS should be better than the HGMO.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Motor Oil 101 and how the HGMO policy is not good for Theta II.