New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Sep 2011
    gud am to all:
    pano po ba matatangal ung kalawang sa engine?bago lng po kasi ung starex namin kaso napansin ko may kalawang na ung engine nya dahil madalas ang ulan ngaun.ano po ba dapat gawin or ilagay para hindi kalawangin thanks po

2. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    you mean anti rust? keeping the engine bay clean and dry all the time is one way to prevent rust.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    brush nitric acid (rust converter) to the rusted part and after the rust cures to blackish plastic like coating over the rust, apply grease or vaseline to prevent rust from recurring

4. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    paano magkaka rust ang engine? since sabi mo bago pa lang? kahit umulan pa ng umulan hinde kakalawangin yan unless walang hood yun starex niyo

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Are you talking about the engine block? That's cast iron. It doesn't matter if there's surface rust... it's like rain wearing away at a mountain, it'll take centuries to eat its way through it.

If you don't like the look of rust, just treat it then paint the block with black high-temp primer.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2009
    ^^i also think that it's the engine block that the ts is pointing out. same thought that i have years back.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    you can use sacrificial metal like zinc blocks or you can recycle zinc rods from an old broken water heater and install next to the corrosion.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Hmmm... Sa akin bago din lang, pero ang kalawang nasa may lalagyan ng turnilyo lang. Pero I think it'll take a great deal of time bago makain ng kalawang buong engine.

Yung sa turbo yun kalawangin na talaga, sa sobrang init nga naman nun, sigardo talagang kakalawangin agad. But i think it's normal. Pero pangit din kasi tingnan pag may kalawang. Parang nagiging luma ang dating.

With regards to the turbo housing rust, di uubra ang high temp na pintura. Some suggested having it ceramic coated.

9. Join Date
    Mar 2008
    i agree. your engine is cast iron and aluminum alloy. aluminum doesn't rust, and cast iron... well, your van's body will have turned to dust decades before the rust affects your engine's function. but heat prevents rusting. so use your vehicle. don't worry and enjoy. yes, you can use heat-resistant paint. but it's too much hassle to apply. but if you are entering it in a beauty contest..

10. Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jick.cejoco View Post
    brush nitric acid (rust converter) to the rusted part and after the rust cures to blackish plastic like coating over the rust, apply grease or vaseline to prevent rust from recurring
    i stand corrected, the rust converter is made of phosphoric acid not nitric acid.

inti rust for the engine