New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_tim
    sir otep, does the tucson also operate in these two ranges or not? what are the differences between the "all wheel drive" of the tucson and the 4WD of the sorento? can the tucson be taken for some off-roading too? sorry for the many questions. i'll appreciate the answers!

Tucson " all wheel drive ", the transfer case is locked to 4WD always so wala kang switch or shift lever na iintindihin pa. This transfer power to the 4 wheels of the car evenly unless there is some slippage detected.
    Sorento 4WD is different kasi it gives you option to select 3 settings. 2WD which is the widely used setting sa city driving para matipid ang fuel consumption. 4WD "Hi" is when the road is slippery or you're going up a hilly road for more traction ika nga. This setting you can select even when you are running 80km/hr without any problems.And then 4WD "Lo" which is for severe off-roading. Need to stop the car to engage this setting.
    Tucson I believe can be taken for some off-roading but on limited extent. Sorento on the other hand has been tested on some severe off-roading condition and seems to perform nicely I've read. Some sites will show you some insights and pictures regarding Sorento off-roading.

2. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by apexi_66

Tucson " all wheel drive ", the transfer case is locked to 4WD always so wala kang switch or shift lever na iintindihin pa. This transfer power to the 4 wheels of the car evenly unless there is some slippage detected.
    Sorento 4WD is different kasi it gives you option to select 3 settings. 2WD which is the widely used setting sa city driving para matipid ang fuel consumption. 4WD "Hi" is when the road is slippery or you're going up a hilly road for more traction ika nga. This setting you can select even when you are running 80km/hr without any problems.And then 4WD "Lo" which is for severe off-roading. Need to stop the car to engage this setting.
    Tucson I believe can be taken for some off-roading but on limited extent. Sorento on the other hand has been tested on some severe off-roading condition and seems to perform nicely I've read. Some sites will show you some insights and pictures regarding Sorento off-roading.
    now i understand it a bit na, thanks apexi! another question, pwede rin ba na 2WD yung tucson o lagi syang 4WD?

3. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    as far as i know the Tucson CRDi model is a 4wd, but the 4wd system installed automatically activates...... meaning if the vehicle is at constant vehicle speed it is in the 2wd state but it changes the torque distribution to rear wheels in the 4wd state according to the driving state. Regarding the Lock 4wd there is a button located on the left to activate it but it is used only for severe and slow terrain......

and i have heared that they have the tucson Gasoline with a 2.0 engine.... i think its much cheaper.......

4. Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by rj_tim
    now i understand it a bit na, thanks apexi! another question, pwede rin ba na 2WD yung tucson o lagi syang 4WD?
    Tucson is all wheel drive ( transfer case always driving the 4 wheels ika nga ) Wala syang switch that you can change it to 2WD.

5. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by apexi_66
    Tucson is all wheel drive ( transfer case always driving the 4 wheels ika nga ) Wala syang switch that you can change it to 2WD.
    a ok. so in a sense, "always 4WD" ang tucson tama ba? i've read in some forum na mas magastos in terms of fuel consumption pag parating naka-4WD mode ang SUV kahit di nman kelangan. ang ibig sabihin ba nito e olats sa fuel consumption ang tucson kasi nga "always 4WD" ito?

6. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brain1219
    as far as i know the Tucson CRDi model is a 4wd, but the 4wd system installed automatically activates...... meaning if the vehicle is at constant vehicle speed it is in the 2wd state but it changes the torque distribution to rear wheels in the 4wd state according to the driving state. Regarding the Lock 4wd there is a button located on the left to activate it but it is used only for severe and slow terrain......

and i have heared that they have the tucson Gasoline with a 2.0 engine.... i think its much cheaper.......
    oops, this answers the questions i posted above na pala so my understanding now is that the tucson is normally on "4WD-on-demand" mode under normal driving conditions. but when driven on severe and slow terrain, the lock 4WD can be used to turn the tucson into an "always 4WD" vehicle. is my conclusion correct? correct me if i'm wrong

7. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Mas ok for me ang Kia Sorento kaysa sa Tucson..

8. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Tucson is normally front wheel drive until wheel sensors detect slip and start sending power to the rear axle (sort of like how the CR-V system works).

In 'LOCK', the Tucson will send power to the rear wheels whether or not there is slip. However, gearing will still be the same as there is no 4L setting.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2005
    true... i think the Tucson goes head to head with the Kia's Sportage not the Sorento.

the Tucson is unit body, has AWD and smaller while the Sorento is a midsizer has 4WD and body on frame.

10. Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    Tucson is normally front wheel drive until wheel sensors detect slip and start sending power to the rear axle (sort of like how the CR-V system works).

In 'LOCK', the Tucson will send power to the rear wheels whether or not there is slip. However, gearing will still be the same as there is no 4L setting.
    a ok.. so in a sense fuel efficient ang Tucson dahil di sya lagi naka-4WD mode, only when the situation calls for some 4WD driving.. is this correct?

so para saan yung "Lock 4WD?" when should this be used?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hyundai Tucson and Kia Sorento