New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
  1. Join Date
    May 2006
    hi all.. i just want to share what happend to my old 2001 TCI starex, october 2013 i sold it to my cousin in Mindanao... of course drove it to mindano with no issues.. i have had it since decemeber 02... and on 2013 the trip to mindanao would have been the 10th time it would have travelled to mindanao. last december my cousin called me and asked me when was the last time i had all the timing belts changed...told him i changed it all before the trip to mindanaoin october 2013. i wondered why he asked me that..

he told me that it was because the engine was making funny noises and was shaking very bad.. when they opened the timing belt cover he said all the belts was ok.. but bcause they had already opened it.. had wanted to change the oil seals and tensioners too.. plus the timing belts.. to make a short story long. hehe.. when he took the pulley off the crankshaft he noticed that the whole crankshaft had a lot of play.. meaning it was moving it and out.. he called me again and asked me what could be wrong.. he told me he was thinking of just getting it overhauled... i told him its his choice.. later on he called me again and told me that the crankshaft itself was broken.. which surprised me.. because i havent seen a broken crankshaft yet..

i didnt believe him until i saw it for myself.. he told me that when the engine first had that really funny noise he stopped the engine and went out to check if something was wrong with the belts or some other problems.. but he didnt see any problem.. so he started the engine again and it started but with all the noise, he wasnt sure what was wrong so he got it towed home..

when they opened the engine thats when they saw that the crankshaft was broken. fortunately it didnt damage the engine block or any other part of the engine. even the bearings was ok.. the only part which had some damage was the number 2 conecting rod that was slightly bent... apart from that nothing else..

just wanted to share because i find it hard to believe a crankshaft could break and leaving almost no other damaged part.. i mean i was faithful with oil change and preventive maintenance..and my cousin also was gud with the van.. so my only explaination was that it broke due to metal fatigue..

can anybody else have a better explanation.. thanks guys.

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    hi all.. i just want to share what happend to my old 2001 TCI starex, october 2013 i sold it to my cousin in Mindanao... of course drove it to mindano with no issues.. i have had it since decemeber 02... and on 2013 the trip to mindanao would have been the 10th time it would have travelled to mindanao. last december my cousin called me and asked me when was the last time i had all the timing belts changed...told him i changed it all before the trip to mindanaoin october 2013. i wondered why he asked me that..

he told me that it was because the engine was making funny noises and was shaking very bad.. when they opened the timing belt cover he said all the belts was ok.. but bcause they had already opened it.. had wanted to change the oil seals and tensioners too.. plus the timing belts.. to make a short story long. hehe.. when he took the pulley off the crankshaft he noticed that the whole crankshaft had a lot of play.. meaning it was moving it and out.. he called me again and asked me what could be wrong.. he told me he was thinking of just getting it overhauled... i told him its his choice.. later on he called me again and told me that the crankshaft itself was broken.. which surprised me.. because i havent seen a broken crankshaft yet..

i didnt believe him until i saw it for myself.. he told me that when the engine first had that really funny noise he stopped the engine and went out to check if something was wrong with the belts or some other problems.. but he didnt see any problem.. so he started the engine again and it started but with all the noise, he wasnt sure what was wrong so he got it towed home..

when they opened the engine thats when they saw that the crankshaft was broken. fortunately it didnt damage the engine block or any other part of the engine. even the bearings was ok.. the only part which had some damage was the number 2 conecting rod that was slightly bent... apart from that nothing else..

just wanted to share because i find it hard to believe a crankshaft could break and leaving almost no other damaged part.. i mean i was faithful with oil change and preventive maintenance..and my cousin also was gud with the van.. so my only explaination was that it broke due to metal fatigue..

can anybody else have a better explanation.. thanks guys.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2015
    updates please... need info... thanks

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
Hyundai Starex (Gen. 3) [continued]