New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    I know this is an old thread, but I am looking for a 4x4 Van for our photography excursions in the North. It will probably be used 4-6x a year. I have a fortuner 4x4 but many times more than 5 kami lahat so I am looking for a 4x4 Van that can fit 7-8 people plus cargo. I have seen a 1999 4x4 starex and It fits my budget. I also saw brand new 4x4 Grand Starex but Its way too much for my budget. The Van will be used mostly for rough muddy or gravel and sand roads.

Aside from the acquisition cost (Approximately P250K), I am willing to spend another P200K to make the van much more reliable. How do I lift it 2" more to give additional body to road Clearance? Also Can anybody who have experience with 4x4 and 4x2 starex give me a list of things I need to replace pre-emptively just to make sure that it won't fail in the field. Initially I am looking at the ff:

1. Timing Belt
    2. Water Pump
    3. Repack 4x4 CV joints
    4. Fuel Filter
    5. Overhaul Radiator
    6. Water hoses
    7. replace battery
    8. Replace All belts

Maraming marami pong salamat sa lahat na sasagot.

2. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    If you're inclined on getting the automatic transmission model, you might want to add on checking the health of the transmission. Do a fluid and filter change on it and the transfer case as well.

Replace fluids on the front and rear diffs too. Be aware if its a model equipped with LSD, (Limited Slip Diff). If it is, then you'd need LSD oil as per Hyundai specs.

The axle joints are typically "maintenance" free, as long as the boots are not torn, and lube is leaking out. If you happen to buy a model with torn CV boots, then expect problems to arise.

Check AC condition too.

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Thank you lowslowbenz,

Quote Originally Posted by lowslowbenz View Post
    If you're inclined on getting the automatic transmission model, you might want to add on checking the health of the transmission. Do a fluid and filter change on it and the transfer case as well.

Replace fluids on the front and rear diffs too. Be aware if its a model equipped with LSD, (Limited Slip Diff). If it is, then you'd need LSD oil as per Hyundai specs.

The axle joints are typically "maintenance" free, as long as the boots are not torn, and lube is leaking out. If you happen to buy a model with torn CV boots, then expect problems to arise.

Check AC condition too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Hyundai Starex 4X4 is in the Philippines!