New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    May 2006
    I'm looking into acquiring a Hyundai Sonata, year 2000 model... any of you guys know if sulit ang ride na to? Please comment on the following:

maintenance
    suspension
    fuel consumption (sa 2.0, me paraan ba para tipid, or matipid naman kahit papano? )
    parts and accesories
    comfort
    performance

will it be crap or not? maraming salamat po in advance sa comments

2. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lako
    I'm looking into acquiring a Hyundai Sonata, year 2000 model...
    This one?
    2000 Hyundai Sonata (I think this specific model was not officially sold in the RP)

I don't own one, but based on some reviews, performance and handling are so-so.
    Ride quality, cargo room & driving position are ok.

If the all-new Sonata is on par with its Japanese rivals, the 2000 Sonata was at a stage where it was still catching up with its rivals.

I'm not sure about after sales service, but this was not their strongest area.

Do you have any other options? 2nd hand Japanese brands?
    Last edited by AG4; May 12th, 2006 at 09:17 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    I think it's the last of the series to be heavily Galant-based. Tignan mo engine kung kamukha ng sa Galant Super Saloon circa 1996.

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Isn't it most of the pre-2000 models had a strong hint of Mitsubishi (including the vans)?

If it does have a Galant-like engine, then a swap isn't too far fetched. :lol:

I've always dreamed of sticking a 4G63T into a Coupe. :lol:

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OTEP
    I think it's the last of the series to be heavily Galant-based.
    This Sonata was not based on the smaller Galant, technically no Sonata was based on any specific Mitsubishi model, Hyundai just borrowed some technology/components from Mitsubishi.
    Last edited by AG4; May 12th, 2006 at 10:24 PM.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Those older Sonatas had the same Mitsubishi engine as my Plymouth Laser RS Turbo (right down to the same engine paint) although they were the NA version. But, many Sonata owners shoehorned the 2.0L turbos and were also able to make use of the same HKS upgrades as my Laser. I'm not sure if the 2k Sonata was one of them, though. The fastest Sonatas on record would be those with the modded 2.0L turbos.

7. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4
    This Sonata was not based on the smaller Galant, technically no Sonata was based on any specific Mitsubishi model, Hyundai just borrowed some technology/components from Mitsubishi.
    Yup. That's why I just call it 'heavily based'. They were never platform mates. Hyundai borrowed A LOT of Mitsubishi stuff (even whole vehicles).

http://docotep.multiply.com/
    Need an Ambulance? We sell Zic Brand Oils and Lubricants. Please PM me.

8. Join Date
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AG4
    This one?
    2000 Hyundai Sonata (I think this specific model was not officially sold in the RP)

I don't own one, but based on some reviews, performance and handling are so-so.
    Ride quality, cargo room & driving position are ok.

If the all-new Sonata is on par with its Japanese rivals, the 2000 Sonata was at a stage where it was still catching up with its rivals.

I'm not sure about after sales service, but this was not their strongest area.

Do you have any other options? 2nd hand Japanese brands?
    Thanks sir. Actually ndi ganyan itsura e... i saw it this wikend mejo dubious ako kasi yr2000 model (sa or/cr) pero mukang luma na ung loob saka ung mags luma na rin... although paint is still ok, and also accesories... around 102k kms na... gamit na gamit... but i test drove it ok naman suspension and handling... im still looking for other options...

9. Join Date
    May 2006
    thank you po sa mga replies... any other comments?

Hyundai Sonata Owners... Help!