New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Marami pa rin kasing tao na ang mentality eh "bigger engine is better" w/o looking at the torque and HP ratings.

Nowadays, smaller diesel engines can generate more pulling power than bigger engines a decade or more ago. It's all about technology. (Try checking the turbodiesels a decade or more ago)

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Horsepower View Post
    *niky: the 2.2L SF (current model) can tow 2,000kg (braked). Do you mean to say it will have lesser capacity?
    I don't doubt it could actually pull that weight... what I mean is that performance in terms of towing suffers with lower displacement because of the narrower powerband and lack of power off-boost. The Navara suffers poorer performance in towing or carrying heavy loads despite class-leading power figures due to this.

Again, though, that's an extreme situation. In most uses, the smaller engine will be more practical... how many people actually need to tow heavy loads? ;)

One other thing to note... engines built to withstand higher boost and higher revs will be stronger than engines not built to that spec... with stronger, forged parts and alloys. drive both at just 1500-2000 rpm, and the overbuilt smaller engine should last just as long or longer because of this.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Ahhh. lakas pa naman ng engine ng Navara. You are right, usually ang hinihila dito boats and jetskis lang.

An SF owner is on a project to build a trailer. Hopefully he gets it right the first time. Balak nya mag around the Philippines using only the car.

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by kompressor View Post
    Marami pa rin kasing tao na ang mentality eh "bigger engine is better" w/o looking at the torque and HP ratings.

Nowadays, smaller diesel engines can generate more pulling power than bigger engines a decade or more ago. It's all about technology. (Try checking the turbodiesels a decade or more ago)
    Them idiots. Hahaha...that's one reason why some uninformed buyers end up with large cars with large engines...and get overtaken by something "tiny"...

I bet in the future some crazy kid will put one of them 2.0L R-Engines on an i10...

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto_minosa View Post
    I bet in the future some crazy kid will put one of them 2.0L R-Engines on an i10...
    :innocent: hehehe...

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    regarding engine Longevity / Reliability... i guess only time will tell if indeed Hyundai did its homework properly to engineer its powerplant to stay that way - reliable. . . i know my Hilux 2.4TD is still going strong even with high mileage of >250T Km. many in the UK Forums reporting over 300T Km is not uncommon just as long as u do proper basic change oil/maintenance. the eventual winner (other than Hyundai/Kia) is of course us the Consumer. so i say Bring it on with class leading Warranty! 10years (same as in US Hyundai) with 100T mile (160T km). then we'll have a deal....

also i hope they can reduce the dead spot in the power band below 2K RPM (off-boost condition), it was quite pronounced in the current 2.0li CRDi in the Carens....not really good when ur starting UP-HILL.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    That's a hard problem to tackle... seems inherent with many modern small CRDis... unimpressive performance off-boost... even with VGT... maybe with VGT systems with three vane profiles instead of two... or one that starts at a lower rpm (1500 instead of 1800)...

8. Join Date
    Jun 2006
    The dual turbo version of R-Engine is in the works I think.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Grabe ibang klase ang engine na to.Wish ko lang ilagay to sa Genesis sedan and Coupe.

10. Join Date
    Apr 2008
    It's almost unbelievable that a diesel engine can actually produce that much power. After a couple of years, we might even hear of a diesel i30 being able to outperform an Evo . Hyundai is really ahead of the others, when Japanese manufacturers have only started using VGT, they're now one step ahead. After perfecting E-VGT, would we start having news of twin turbo E-VGT? Finally, an efficient diesel with BOTH high horsepower rating, monstrous torque and great fuel mileage.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Hyundai R-Engine CRDI E-VGT 2.0 & 2.2L makes 200PS/436Nm