New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by nivraarvin View Post
    Mahirap kasi sensory observation. Try to measure your FC with petron extra and petron blaze. At least you'll have data to back up what you felt while driving with each fuel.

I compared PTT and Seaoil diesel (yes, I know na gasoline yung topic pero this is what i have as an example).

PTT - Consistent 10.22+km/l

Tried Seaoil - 8.22km/l

Went back to PTT - 10.2+km/l ulit

Tried seaoil again 8.15km/l, nag expressway pa ko niyan.

Because of the results, Im staying away from seaoil diesel for now.
    I observed that some car brands/engines prefer a certain octane rating or brand over another (i guess because of the additives). This is quite evident on my old Sentra which runs on a carburetor engine; it prefers 95 octane over 93 (has better power as we run the car on a lighter gas pedal foot), then on the brand she seems to idle more smoothly with Total 95 octane. I'd suggest you try several brands and octane levels and observe your fuel consumption and performance.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    I've read that older engines may stand to benefit from high-octane fuel. (Busting the Octane myth about gasoline. | Yec Headquarters 6 Day Creation)

At the end of the day you, the driver, is the one spending for gas and has the final say on things. If you think that high-octane gas makes your engine purr like a kitten than it does on regular gas (and you're sure that it's not just in your head), by all means, high-octane is for you. You'll be sure that the smoother the engine runs, there should be less wear.

Just remember that higher-octane fuel is relatively much safer for any car engine compared to regular gas as far as engine wear is concerned.

3. Join Date
    Mar 2004
    If one uses a lower octane fuel than what the engine requires, the engine is supposed to knock. But since modern engines have knock sensors installed, it won't knock. What happens is that the engine adjusts to avoid knocking but performance is affected. So when one uses the correct or higher octane fuel rated for the engine, people feel the improved performance. But that's how the engine is supposed to perform in the first place before it was fed with a lower octane fuel.

4. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    ^ You shouldn't use lower octane than what the car manufacturer recommends. The ECU can only react to bad fuel up to a certain point and will not be able to protect the engine when it goes beyond its programmed threshold.

5. Join Date
    May 2011
    For me w/ higher octane hindi lang placebo effect makukuha. Based on my observation kapag gamit ko 91 rating lakas vibration ng makina ramdam mo during idle. And terms on power mararamdaman mo din...
    Fofi 1.4at user here...

And proven na to by Discovery turbo using subaru impreza ata..

Sent from my HTC Desire V using Tapatalk 4

6. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Walter View Post
    If one uses a lower octane fuel than what the engine requires, the engine is supposed to knock. But since modern engines have knock sensors installed, it won't knock. What happens is that the engine adjusts to avoid knocking but performance is affected. So when one uses the correct or higher octane fuel rated for the engine, people feel the improved performance. But that's how the engine is supposed to perform in the first place before it was fed with a lower octane fuel.
    I've been using fuel save with 91 Ron ever since I got the crv gen1. No problems what so ever.

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 3GEMS View Post
    For me w/ higher octane hindi lang placebo effect makukuha. Based on my observation kapag gamit ko 91 rating lakas vibration ng makina ramdam mo during idle. And terms on power mararamdaman mo din...
    Fofi 1.4at user here...

And proven na to by Discovery turbo using subaru impreza ata..

Sent from my HTC Desire V using Tapatalk 4
    Yes proven with performance cars like the impreza. There were significant hp gains but maybe you left out the part that they tested it on Econo cars. No significant hp gains, if I remember it right around 1 or 2 hp gains... Which I highly doubt anyone could feel in a blind test.

8. Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Sympre with performance cars, iba na talaga. That's why we have race fuels with octanes of 105 and even higher. Problem is it's unprofitable to import race fuel thanks to our absurdly low penetration rate for performance cars. I'm talking about the likes of 1000+ HP fully-modded R34s or Lamborghinis.

I've studied the market and even if you put a station in our race tracks in Batangas and Clark and prestigious areas such as Fort Bonifacio, Ayala Alabang, Forbes Park, and other prestigious villages.. nasa red ka pa rin. Remember.. performance cars. As in real ones. Not the sight of your FWD Civic, Lancer, Altis, <insert most vehicles here> with a few performance parts and a fat-ass rear spoiler for reverse downforce. You're better off importing jet fuel for our airline use

9. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jhnkvn View Post
    Sympre with performance cars, iba na talaga. That's why we have race fuels with octanes of 105 and even higher. Problem is it's unprofitable to import race fuel thanks to our absurdly low penetration rate for performance cars. I'm talking about the likes of 1000+ HP fully-modded R34s or Lamborghinis.

I've studied the market and even if you put a station in our race tracks in Batangas and Clark and prestigious areas such as Fort Bonifacio, Ayala Alabang, Forbes Park, and other prestigious villages.. nasa red ka pa rin. Remember.. performance cars. As in real ones. Not the sight of your FWD Civic, Lancer, Altis, <insert most vehicles here> with a few performance parts and a fat-ass rear spoiler for reverse downforce. You're better off importing jet fuel for our airline use
    Well, if you slap in a turbo, it will artificially increase the compression ratio that could be high enough to cause pre-detonation. In which case, using a higher octane fuel may become necessary.

Btw, "reverse downforce" is lift.

10. Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by kisshmet View Post
    there is an adage that says "old habits are hard to die".

coming from a 91 or 93 octane & switching to 95 octane the driver need not step as hard as they got accustomed to with lower octane gas because higher octane gas has more energy to dispense. this is probably the reason why people think its a placebo effect, they tend to push as hard the gas pedal with a higher octane as they would with the lower octane gas. the overall result is more frequent over revolution when accelerating which leads to more fuel consumption

the key to saving fuel is to rev up (2thou rpm) smoothly before shifting the gear up as fast as you can, assuming the traffic condition permits you to do so
    Not really, I drive 1km four times a day, and from house to office di ako umaapak masyado sa accelerator, and ito pa ha, kapag nag cold start ako, mula bahay hangang office, yan yung umaga na trip, walang accelerator hangang 5th gear at ang takbvo ay nasa 40km/h max ng innova vvti, pero mas mabilis maubos talaga ang xcs compared sa fuelsave, and that is not placebo, kasi ganun talaga ang pag drive ko. I am not expecting any additional horsepower sa higher octane, I am expecting more fuel savings. Pero yun nga, mas mabilis pa tuloy maubos.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast