New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Mods - Kindly transfer if not the appropriate forum. Thanks.

It appears that the front panel/dashboard of (our) Starex TCI GRX 2005 model is magnetized because I cannot successfully install a compass. The compass always points to N, whether the engine is running or not. When I move the same compass out of the van, it appears to be functioning properly. I had this verified on 2 car compasses of different brands.

It is kind of weird. Anyone had a similar experience? It looks like the 2 tweeters which were mounted on the extreme left and right portions of the dashboard have some effect, but I am not certain.

My other (bigger) concern is, what is the intensity of the (supposed) magnetic field which affects the compass(es)? I understand that magnetic field has some effect on our health. Although, our credit cards are seemingly not affected.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks again.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    you might want to check if there is a piece of steel (in the nearby frame, etc) near (within a few inches) the mounting area of your compass. That should have been more than enough to affect your compass.

3. Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Thank you for the input Ghosthunter. I initially tried mounting it on the rearview mirror and after that, on some points on the dashboard, but could not identify a spot where it would function properly...

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    I wouldn't worry about magnetic fields and your health. Unless it's a very strong one, (like around high voltage power lines) it won't have much effect on you.

Maybe your vehicle has a electrical ground? Weird, never experienced that while installing a compass.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

5. Join Date
    Mar 2005
    pano ba bumasa ng compass. i have one pero d ko alam gamitin

Cannot Install A Compass In Starex TCI GRX (Year Model 2005)