New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    No longer a concept vehicle.

If there’s one model we’ve been highly anticipating from Hyundai, it’s their new pick-up truck – the Santa Cruz. It was first introduced as a concept way back in 2015. After six long years of development, the production model is finally here.

Unlike most pick-up trucks, the Santa Cruz is not your typical full-size model like the Ford F-150. Nor is it traditional pick-up at all like a Toyota Hilux. Instead, it’s Hyundai’s idea of a relatively compact, crossover-based truck. Think of it as a Honda Ridgeline, albeit much smaller.

Speaking of engines, there are two options available. Unfortunately, none of them are diesel. The standard model uses a naturally aspirated 2.5-liter four-cylinder mill connected to an 8-speed automatic with all-wheel drive as standard. For now, Hyundai only says this setup produces over 190 horsepower and 244 Nm torque with a towing capacity of up to 1,588kg. The other engine choice is a turbocharged 2.5-liter four-cylinder with around 275 horsepower and 420 Nm torque. Like the base engine, the boosted 2.5-liter comes with an 8-speed dual-clutch and comes with paddle-shifters.
    Sadly no CRDI. this truck maybe exclusive to the North American market.

The Hyundai Santa Cruz won’t be built in South Korea, well, not yet, at least. Instead, it’s made at Hyundai Motor Manufacturing Alabama (HMMA) in Montgomery. With that, it’s unlikely that the Santa Cruz will arrive locally since Hyundai Philippines sources their models from South Korea. Still, that's not stopping us from being interested in it. Hyundai’s pick-up truck may be smaller, but it's an interesting alternative to the ladder-frame models in the market today.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    That looks super cool!

3. Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Reminds me of the Ute...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

4. Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Hindi pwede pang kargahan and wala pa diesel engine kaya baka di dumating dito yan.

Naalala ko tuloy yung subaru baja dati pero di ata nagkaroon sa pinas nun.

5. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Reminds me of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
    Had one before. great pick up for light carry and mild off road.
    its the Gas consumption that is really bad. plus started having problems after a few years.

6. Join Date
    Apr 2012
    ^^^We had one too.

Head turner when it first came out.

But if you look at it now, di pala ganun kaganda.

7. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ice15 View Post
    Reminds me of the Ute...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Not just the Aussie UTE.

It also reminds me of the Subaru Baja.

8. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by GTcervan View Post
    Hindi pwede pang kargahan and wala pa diesel engine kaya baka di dumating dito yan.

Naalala ko tuloy yung subaru baja dati pero di ata nagkaroon sa pinas nun.
    ang kakargahan lang naman ni Sta. Cruz most likely mga motorcycles, MTBs, ATVs etc... target market ni Santa Cruz yung mga adventurous people na mahilig sa motocross offroading etc...

i think this was designed with US/ North American in mind. Sana may lalabas din na CRDI version for export markets tulad ng PHDM.

Someone imported a Subaru Baja here I saw one in EDSA a long time ago. Parang Outback na open top sa likod.

9. Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Quote Originally Posted by ale828 View Post
    Reminds me of the Ford Explorer Sport Trac.
    Had one before. great pick up for light carry and mild off road.
    its the Gas consumption that is really bad. plus started having problems after a few years.
    is that the first generation one based on the older generation 90's Ford Explorer right?

10. Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by thearsenal1205 View Post
    is that the first generation one based on the older generation 90's Ford Explorer right?
    Yes, first gen yun sa akin. if i remember correctly 2001 or 2002 model yun akin.
    it came with a covered truck bed, sunroof, powered rear window.
    it also came out with a minor face lifted model after a few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast