New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    The 155 hp Civic 2.0 MT was a case of misapplied marketing.

They should have kept the 2.0S as automatic from the beginning, and slotted in the 2.0 MT as a lower-end model with no frills... the 2.0 engine is a cracker, and despite lacking the top-end of the SiR, it was easily its match in terms of acceleration.

It's just the rest of the package that wasn't inspired or sporty. We get the basic soft-suspension set-up here... which means a choppy rear end, understeer prone front end, and generally less handling ability than the EK-series Civic.

If you want an SiR replacement... the Ford Lynx RS came close... better steering, great handling, more torque, but just no top-end, at all. Still... it could take the SiR on track or in traffic, and fuel consumption for the 2.0 Lynx is about the same as the SiR... yes, I'm a fanboy... so sue me, I own one.

The Mazda3 2.0R has the handling... has almost enough power... but falls short due to the lack of a manual. The shocks are a bit too soft for me... but hey, it's a good looking car with a sunroof.

The Ford Focus is still the most exciting car in this price range. Sure, it's over 1m... but let's face it... if you translated SiR prices to today's prices, it wouldn't be far below that... without ABS or airbags, to boot. With the Focus, all you sacrifice is the sunroof and rear AC. It has the same kit as almost anything in its price range, and the fuel consumption leaves the SiR for dead. And once the local computer tuning options are finalized, it'll be just as ridiculously easy to get power out of as the SiR. As it is, simple tuning can net you a really fast Focus, with no other mods.

The problem with the Focus TDCi... it's way too heavy. So, despite the good steering, good handling and awesome power... it's just not the total package. It'll whip the SiR from a roll... any time, any where. But give the SiR a good driver and it'll destroy the TDCi on the drag strip... and it'll still pace it on track, due to the lightness.

The Honda Civic 1.8 has the potential to do an SiR. It actually makes good power and has more torque than the SiR. It's light. It comes with a sweet stick. The only missing ingredients are a sporty suspension and better steering.

The new Mitsubishi Lancer shows promise. 2.0 MT for under 1m? But I have a feeling it'll be more like a new Galant GTi than a new SiR.

Any new SiRs on the horizon? If you're looking for something like that with a small engine... thanks to the big bodies cars have nowadays... sorry, no dice. But if Honda releases a Jazz with an R18 or R20 engine... why... hell yeah... The Jazz already handles better than the SiR... it just needs more power.
    Last edited by niky; April 12th, 2008 at 12:52 AM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

2. Join Date
    May 2006
    ^^^Finally, the guru has spoken

3. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    SiR rules!!

4. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    The 2001-2005 Civics wore the "ES" chassis code, with a few "ET"-stamped chassis carrying the K20A engine.

FDs are the most recent of the breed HTHs
    Thanks bro, yes it does! please excuse my ignorance, I'm not a fanboy...yet

Niky it looks like some cars could have replaced or matched the SiR but it seems each one of them falls short on some attributes. So I guess the reason the SiR is still expensive to buy second-hand these days is that it's the whole package you buy, it's all in there so to speak. Great summary Niky!

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Yeah... but then, the SiR isn't the only good buy there is secondhand, anymore.

The Lynx RS now costs almost as little as an SiR. If you like track driving, it's a more complete package, with ABS, dual airbags, stiffer anti-roll bars, etcetera. It's more forgiving on the track... the SiR's lack of ABS means it's easier to spin it when you stand on the brakes... and the long wheelbase makes it a little more understeery in certain corners... but I've yet to drive these cars back to back on the same tires... might get a chance in the near future. With the same mods, the SiR may still be faster... but it might come down to the wire, with the Lynx's extra corner-exit torque.

Only real issue with the Lynx is the lack of aftermarket support. Half of what you need has to be ordered overseas... with the SiR... it's all here, already.

I'd say the SiR isn't the "complete" package... it's just that nothing else comes close to being "complete", either. If the Focus were only just 300 pounds lighters, that would be "complete".

Sayang lang... our market is too small, really, for any really hardcore low-priced sport compacts to come in. No new Si or SiR... no Mazdaspeed3 (which would cost 1.5 - 2m, anyway... which is too much)... nothing...

Oh well... I'm looking at the new Lancer... under 1m for a 2 liter car with a manual transmission... the only problem is it weighs as much as an old Galant. The good part is, it's as big as the old Galant... it should make a nice GT car... if I get the chance to buy by December, and my plan won't stretch to the Mazda6 or the Focus, I'm thinking this is worth a look.

6. Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    but I've yet to drive these cars back to back on the same tires... might get a chance in the near future
    That can be arranged are your Lynx's mods similar to my father's SiR's?

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Clutcch... IHE... PnP... working on camgears... Chip. I'd say I'm making 20-30 hp less... but probably a little more torque.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Will there be another SiR?