New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    IMHO, to each his own naman po talaga yan, A/T or M/T.

may kanya-kanyang pros & cons ang bawat isa. one is more reliant on your call of speed choice, the other is more driver friendly and relaxing to use.

i don't know if it's just my observation or what but people here in our country seems to underestimate A/T cars (or probably owners). case in point, gandang-ganda sila sa porma at linis ng oto pero pag silip nila sa loob: "ay matic!" -yun ang maririnig mo. no intention to fuel debate po, just my experience & observation. maybe it's a case of bawas-pogi points when it comes to driver skill? being able to operate manual cars versus "brainless" driving of A/T. or just plain case of mahal ang pyesa ng matic. but hey, either way naman demands financial attention of maintaining a car, so that just even things out for me.

i drive both types, it's just that with all the hassles of driving in this country, i'm doing myself a big relief driving an A/T.

as one poster says from the past page, it's the way to the future.

2. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by hakkinen View Post

i don't know if it's just my observation or what but people here in our country seems to underestimate A/T cars (or probably owners). case in point, gandang-ganda sila sa porma at linis ng oto pero pag silip nila sa loob: "ay matic!" -yun ang maririnig mo. no intention to fuel debate po, just my experience & observation. maybe it's a case of bawas-pogi points when it comes to driver skill? being able to operate manual cars versus "brainless" driving of A/T. or just plain case of mahal ang pyesa ng matic. but hey, either way naman demands financial attention of maintaining a car, so that just even things out for me.
    I drive both types but i recently sold my M/T car so both my cars now are A/T. It's just a practical choice when living in Metro Manila.

But I do love driving M/T especially when I am pushing it to close to the car's and my driving skill's limits on a twisting road that demands all my undivided attention at every corner. It gets my blood rushing. The roar of the engine is music to my ears. The feel of the clutch under your foot as you engage the next gear in preparation for the next corner. Blipping the throttle and feeling the G-forces pushing you to the edge of your seat.

Too bad there isn't much places left that one can truly enjoy pure driving just for the heck of it.

3. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ghosthunter View Post
    I drive both types but i recently sold my M/T car so both my cars now are A/T. It's just a practical choice when living in Metro Manila.

But I do love driving M/T especially when I am pushing it to close to the car's and my driving skill's limits on a twisting road that demands all my undivided attention at every corner. It gets my blood rushing. The roar of the engine is music to my ears. The feel of the clutch under your foot as you engage the next gear in preparation for the next corner. Blipping the throttle and feeling the G-forces pushing you to the edge of your seat.

Too bad there isn't much places left that one can truly enjoy pure driving just for the heck of it.
    hehe, sarap no? yan naman ang maganda sa manual -you are DA BOSS! yun nga lang, mas na-appreciate ko mag drive ng matic ngayon lalo na sa driving conditions ng pinas -yes, only in the philippines! dami pasaway na motorista, bad roads etc (oops, sorry i'm ranting).

bottomline, kung san ka masaya, suportahan taka dedma na ang sasabihin ng iba... lolz

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    it's the way to the future.
    +1. A/T - sporttronic or with paddle shiftters.

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Horror stories?

Cousin bought a cherry 99 Civic VTi, AT. Tranny was fine when we bought it, but the shift quality degraded over the following months. At least it didn't break before we sold it.

Friend almost bought a City CVT. Discouraged him from buying it... because the thing slipped like hell on the test-drive (I know how a CVT is supposed to feel, yes... I've driven Cities before). Good call... because the thing got worse before they got rid of it. (He was selling it for someone else).

Accord, 99, AT. Another friend. Transmission fried. Wouldn't go over 80 and the torque converter slipped like hell. Another Accord, 96. Rebuilt tranny.

The Speedlab crap-box (service vehicle)... Sentra GTS bought secondhand, with an AT. Extremely sluggish transmission (even compared to our previous Exalta STA). Needed an overhaul before they sold it.

And don't even ask about 626 ATs... those old Ford four-speeds are the transmission from hell...
    Sir Niky, idagdag ko na rin yung sa boss ko na Honda City 2003 A/T (basta top of the line) (CVT ba ito?).

anyway, yung kanya naman ok lang when it shifts but sometimes when you rev while in D, parang nasa neutral, meaning no response at all. anyway, restart lang nang engine nagiging ok na muli hehe.

Like I said, I would prefer to have a car with a matic tranny because of the Metro traffic but then again.... I keep my cars, I don't really like the sound of horror I heard from A/T maintenance. M/T gear oil kahit 70k na ang odometer mo pwede pa rin. I think kahit sa magpa-overhaul ka na yata pero mura lang naman ang gear oil. Whole clutch assembly around 10-15k for japanese compact cars, ayun na yun.

Most mechanics know how to fix manual trannies too, this is a plus plus factor.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    bottomline, kung san ka masaya, suportahan taka dedma na ang sasabihin ng iba... lolz
    rule of the thumb hehe. huwag mo nalang intindihin ang sinasabi nang iba hehe. wala lang sisihan kung may issues man, every choice has a consequence ika nga.

7. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    mas mukhang pang-mayaman pag A/T. hahaha

8. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mda_ View Post
    mas mukhang pang-mayaman pag A/T. hahaha
    with that kind of thinking, parang sinabi na rin na.. mas mukhang magaling ang driver nang M/T compared sa A/T.

both statements are false. kung pamahalan lang din, exotic/performance cars use M/T so I think at par lang sila. at kung doon naman sa mas magaling ang driver nang M/T compared sa A/T, that is also false.

if I am the passenger anyway, I hate the engine braking of M/T, mas gusto ko sumakay sa A/T dahil mas smoother ang shifting hehe.

9. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Basta alaga sa pag-gamit at maintenance ang A/T, tatagal naman ito. Yung change ng A/T fluid ko is every 10K kms para mas sigurado. :D

10. Join Date
    Aug 2007
    ako din, gusto ko na AT, sana pati Formula 1, WRC AT na lahat, ma***citing kasi magdrive ng AT. I honestly love AT when going to work for conveniece (eating while driving), but on a weekend getaway, F#$& AT, MT for the win!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
what's wrong with A/T?