New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lancer5790 View Post
    so why do most motorists in the phils. hate AT cars?
    Er, no.

If you'll notice new cars nowadays it's the manual gearbox that's fading away. Yes, it's a personal disappointment of mine, but money talks...

2. Join Date
    May 2005
    your car is perfectly fine

I guess there are still a handful of folks who are not into matic trannys because they're afraid they can't push-start their cars if their batteries died

But I have to disagree with the belief that auto trannies cost more to maintain-unless you encounter a model with a design defect; we've had automatic cars that have done more than 100kms and the only thing that needs maintenance is the flushing and refilling of the fluid. Unlike the manuals that need a clutch overhaul every now and then.

Rule of thumb ko eh as long as your ATF stays red in color...

Sasakit lang ang ulo mo sa A/T kung pinabayaan mo. As far as M/T (I own a M/T), mahal magpalit ng clutch disk, presssure plate and release bearing not to mention, labor.

4. Join Date
    Dec 2008
    actually sir lancer, we have the same problem, i bought a 99 civic AT, bago pa lang ako bumili dami na ngsasabi why AT? nakakainis no kaso pakiaalam nila it's my money anyway, mahal daw maintenance ng AT, hehe

5. Join Date
    Jun 2010
    looks like this thread is going somewhat similar to the one we have on Car Comparisons M/T vs A/T.

*Wilnor - Others are just concern for your own good. Baka sinwerte yung si TS dahil maintained ang city na nabili niya, but it is very rare.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2006
    actually for me it's not even a problem. parang weird lang para sa akin yung reaction ng iba against AT cars. I dont even see anything wrong about it...

and im not even making a comparison here between MT vs. AT.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by wilnor View Post
    actually sir lancer, we have the same problem, i bought a 99 civic AT, bago pa lang ako bumili dami na ngsasabi why AT? nakakainis no kaso pakiaalam nila it's my money anyway, mahal daw maintenance ng AT, hehe
    Because old ATs are notorious for bombing. And old Honda ATs are on the wrong end of the curve.

Personally, your money, your choice. I would never buy a secondhand Honda AT... not with my experience with them. There's a certain element in how they designed the system that makes them vulnerable to damage if the previous owner has not cared for them (and it's not waiting till the oil changes color to change!). You have to strictly follow the factory ATF change periods, and ensure the fluid stays clean.

-

Horror stories?

Cousin bought a cherry 99 Civic VTi, AT. Tranny was fine when we bought it, but the shift quality degraded over the following months. At least it didn't break before we sold it.

Friend almost bought a City CVT. Discouraged him from buying it... because the thing slipped like hell on the test-drive (I know how a CVT is supposed to feel, yes... I've driven Cities before). Good call... because the thing got worse before they got rid of it. (He was selling it for someone else).

Accord, 99, AT. Another friend. Transmission fried. Wouldn't go over 80 and the torque converter slipped like hell. Another Accord, 96. Rebuilt tranny.

The Speedlab crap-box (service vehicle)... Sentra GTS bought secondhand, with an AT. Extremely sluggish transmission (even compared to our previous Exalta STA). Needed an overhaul before they sold it.

And don't even ask about 626 ATs... those old Ford four-speeds are the transmission from hell...

While I've seen secondhand ATs that were fine (though for the life of me... I can't remember a single one... :hysterical: ), most people don't change the ATF at regular intervals after the warranty or don't even bother to find out when they should. So whether or not you should buy a secondhand AT is something that is best decided on a case-to-case basis. Buying an MT still exposes you to gear problems and clutch issues, but these are cheaper to fix than a broken AT box.

---

Still... I'd get a religiously maintained AT over a poorly maintained MT, anytime. But I don't usually look at secondhand AT cars, since I prioritize performance... so I only look at MTs.
    Last edited by niky; July 19th, 2010 at 02:55 PM.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Just because a transmission shifts its own gears doesn't mean it has no clutch. That's a fallacy. A/Ts have clutch packs too - and they're more complicated to work and replace vs. manual gearbox clutches.

Be warned. Don't fall into that trap. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.

9. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    Just because a transmission shifts its own gears doesn't mean it has no clutch. That's a fallacy. A/Ts have clutch packs too - and they're more complicated to work and replace vs. manual gearbox clutches.

Be warned. Don't fall into that trap. Just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not there.
    The problem with the City CVT we tested actually seemed to be the infamous "clutch pack" issue. Over 100,000 kms, poor maintenance and heavy city driving can do this.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

10. Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blackknight_66 View Post
    why MT when you can enjoy AT?

its really a personal choice.
    lalo na kung sportmatic pa yan....brooom!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
what's wrong with A/T?