New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Dec 2009
    sirs,

i just bought a honda civic 2009 1.8V M/T last december....

any idea on how much rpm para mag activate ung VTEC?

2. Join Date
    Mar 2007
    interested din ako dito, i might want to try to vid mamaya my 2006 honda city vtec. ilang times ko na rin ito na redline but im not really sure when the vtec starts to activate. same with our civic and crv.

but ive read din somewhere na pag SOHC lang yung engine mo eh halos hindi naririnig yung vtec activation. tama ba?

3. Join Date
    Jul 2009
    mejo OT: what about i-vtec mga sir?

4. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VTEC#R-series

[edit] R-series

The new SOHC i-VTEC implementation is an entirely new implementation that was introduced on the 2006 Honda Civic's R-series four cylinder SOHC engines. This implementation uses the so-called "fuel economy cam" and "high output cam" on one of the two intake valves of each cylinder (another intake valve is fixed). The "fuel economy cams" are designed to retard the closure of one intake valve and are activated between 1000-3500RPM and under low load condition. When "fuel economy cams" are activated, the intake valve closes well after the piston has started moving upwards in the compression stroke. During this time, the drive-by-wire throttle valve is open wider than normal. Due to the delayed closing of intake valve, a part of the intake mixture that has entered the combustion chamber is forced out again into the intake manifold. That way, the engine "emulates" a lower displacement than its actual one (its operation is also similar to an Atkinson cycle engine, with uneven compression and combustion strokes), which reduces pumping losses thus reducing fuel consumption and increases its efficiency. VTEC-off on the R18A means it can be considered to be running "high output cams". When the right conditions are achieved for fuel economy, VTEC engages the 2nd set, the 'low' or 'economy' cams. Thus VTEC-on on the R18A means it is running low cams.

According to Honda, this measure alone can reduce pumping losses by 16%. Under heavier loads, the engine switches back into its "high output cams", and it operates like a regular 4 stroke Otto cycle engine. This implementation of i-VTEC was initially introduced in the R18A1 engine found under the bonnet of the 8th generation Civic, with a displacement of 1.8 L and an output of 140 PS (100 kW; 140 hp). Recently, another variant was released, the 2.0 L R20A2 with an output of 150 PS (110 kW; 150 hp), which powers the EUDM version of the all-new CRV. SOHC i-VTEC
    With the continued introduction of vastly different i-VTEC systems, one may assume that the term is now a catch-all for creative valve control technologies from Honda.

5. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    In our local Civic market:
    1.8 variant has r18 sohc engine (Civic FD)
    2.0 variant has k20 dohc engine (Civic FD, ES)

The R and K engines use i-VTEC system...

6. Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by archie123456789 View Post
    yung vtec is variable valve timing. this means kung activate yung vtec, magiiba yung mix ng air and gasoline. it activates via sliding pin. sa PH16 (VTi), alam ko 3.5k activation nito. sa B16A (SiR) naman around 5k RPM. mararamdaman yung sipa nito kasi yung rpm biglang sisipa din.

parang nasa 3.5K rpm nga yung narinig kong "iiiiiiiinnnnggg" sound two nights ago... first time kung marinig yun when i pumped the gas pedal... need ko kasi mag-overtake sa tatlong trucks along SSH... sarap ng feeling... hehehehe! btw, matic tranny Civic '97 VTi yung sa akin (PH16a)... dun ko lang na VTEC.. hehehe! malakas kasi sa gas pagparati.

'though OT: singit ko na lang din... no VTEC-VTEC, my FC.. city driving: 9-10km/L :D

7. Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Mas ramdam ito pag off yung aircon .. ewan ko lang sakin kasi ganun
    Tsaka wala na kong aircon ngayon

8. Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by suysuy View Post
    interested din ako dito, i might want to try to vid mamaya my 2006 honda city vtec. ilang times ko na rin ito na redline but im not really sure when the vtec starts to activate. same with our civic and crv.

but ive read din somewhere na pag SOHC lang yung engine mo eh halos hindi naririnig yung vtec activation. tama ba?
    For your GD City's L15A engine, the VTEC actuation point is around 3500 RPM.

The problem with Honda's policy of badging with "VTEC" is that it refers to a whole boatload of valvetrain technologies, so the actual interpretation of VTEC can actually differ from engine to engine.

If you're looking for the very noticeable and classic VTEC wail, you need to try it on a DOHC VTEC engine with 3 cam lobes per cylinder - this is the very first iteration of the VTEC technology and the most famous - and push it to the infamous VTEC RPM point. Below are some such engines and their cars:

B16A (EF9 Civic SiR, EG6 Civic SiR-II, EK4 Civic SiR, DA Integra XSi)
    B18C/5 (DB8/DC2 Integra, Integra Type R)
    B16B (EK9 Civic Type R)
    F20C (AP1 S2000)
    F22C1 (AP2 S2000)
    C30A (NA1 NSX)
    C32B (NA2 NSX)
    H22A (BB5 Prelude)

I hope this sheds some light on the issue.

9. Join Date
    Jan 2010
    gusto ko rin palagay ng VTEC light!!!:grin2:

Sino po may alam nag iinstall dito sa batangas, santo tomas po ako, boundary ng laguna..

EG hatch owner here...

3 STAGE VTEC

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Type 100 View Post
    For your GD City's L15A engine, the VTEC actuation point is around 3500 RPM.

The problem with Honda's policy of badging with "VTEC" is that it refers to a whole boatload of valvetrain technologies, so the actual interpretation of VTEC can actually differ from engine to engine.

If you're looking for the very noticeable and classic VTEC wail, you need to try it on a DOHC VTEC engine with 3 cam lobes per cylinder - this is the very first iteration of the VTEC technology and the most famous - and push it to the infamous VTEC RPM point. Below are some such engines and their cars:

B16A (EF9 Civic SiR, EG6 Civic SiR-II, EK4 Civic SiR, DA Integra XSi)
    B18C/5 (DB8/DC2 Integra, Integra Type R)
    B16B (EK9 Civic Type R)
    F20C (AP1 S2000)
    F22C1 (AP2 S2000)
    C30A (NA1 NSX)
    C32B (NA2 NSX)
    H22A (BB5 Prelude)

I hope this sheds some light on the issue.
    mga sir e yung civic 96 vtec (ph16) anung vetec meron un Vtec-E ba?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
VTEC activation enlighten me