New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by HyBrideVo View Post
    Torque Steer FTL! :thumbdown:

I'd rather spend my money on a base model pontiac solstice/saturn sky redline, mazda miata or even an 07 mustang rather than an all aesthetic $30k car..
    Torque steer is only a problem off the line and is normally manageable for most cars. Sure the excessive wheelspin does wear off the tires easily. But, you're only wearing off the tires. With AWD, it's hard to get wheelspin or impossible altogether. So the stress isn't on the tires. But where's the stress if it's not on the tires? It's on the AWD system. Guess which is more expensive from a maintenance point of view, the tires or the AWD system?

I have friends who had AWD Talons and Eclipses. They used to rib me for getting a FWD Laser. But they weren't laughing so hard years later when their AWD systems started to go bad. They gave up their DSMs rather than deal with the costs of maintaining them.

There's reasons why Honda (at least in the US) has not used tech stuff like turbos or AWD in their sporty cars>>>>>>Simplicity, Ease Of Maintenance. I follow the same philosophy, sort of.

Add: I forgot to add that the Si isn't exactly a torque monster. So, I wonder if torque steer would even be a problem.....
    Last edited by Jun aka Pekto; August 12th, 2007 at 08:04 AM.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    +1. Honda FWDs aren't really prone to torque steer. For that, you'd actually need some torque...

Kidding aside... the new Civic has a great chassis. It's ostensibly as good as the S2000 on track (as shown in a video of a 240-hp modified Civic going against a 240-hp S2000 on the exact same tires). However, that chassis is only good when given good suspension tuning. However, 30 big ones are a bit too much to pay for just the suspension, some exhaust and wheels.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

3. Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Pango pa din. 2nd hand RX8 na lang ako

4. Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Okay given that Honda's are not torquey enough to have torque steer but $30k is still pretty steep for a MUGENized CIVIC Si considering it's only for show & no go bits and pieces.. but for that money there's just totally alot of better options out in the market today. Heck, you can even get a Honda Factory Performance Si in less than 30g's with body kit, wheels and exhaust

5. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Exactly... it's way too expensive for a Civic Si... now if it came with a 240 hp Type-R engine, that might be interesting...

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
The Track-Inspired Civic Mugen Si Sedan