New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Try Falken. Made in japan and price is reasonable. I also agree with the guys that to as long as the specifications (particularly size) is the same as your current, it's ok.

Quote Originally Posted by niky View Post
    Always put new tires on the back.

Old tires in the front can lead to sliding straight under braking in the wet.

Old tires in the back can lead to the car sliding sideways and off the road under braking in the wet.

Which do you think is preferable?

I'll put the new tires up front. Traction (particularly FWD vehicles) and when turning is all at front. But nothing beats having all 4 tires new.

2. Join Date
    May 2010
    Paano po kaya yun sa akin? hindi parehas ang size ng gulong ko sa harap at likod. 195/55/15 sa likod tapos 195/50/15 sa harap. ano kaya epekto non? sa ngayon e ok naman stability ng kotse ko.

3. Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Briggs View Post
    Paano po kaya yun sa akin? hindi parehas ang size ng gulong ko sa harap at likod. 195/55/15 sa likod tapos 195/50/15 sa harap. ano kaya epekto non? sa ngayon e ok naman stability ng kotse ko.
    Actually there are some rims that require different tire sizes. These rims are commonly called STAGGERED or BROKEN-SIZED. Rear rims are wider than those in front. These are commonly available for european cars; from 16"-up rim sizes. (see photo below)

Note the difference of the front and rear rims. Same diameter but different in specs/offset.

If your 4 rims are equal in size and specs, it's usually the stance of the car that looks odd. But since your flatrate difference is minimal (50 vs. 55 series), I think the vehicle's stance would not look much different.

One setback of staggered or broken-sized rims is that you would have limitation in rotating the tires (tire specs for front and rear are different)
    Last edited by Benzmizer; July 24th, 2010 at 02:53 PM.

4. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Benzmizer View Post
    I'll put the new tires up front. Traction (particularly FWD vehicles) and when turning is all at front. But nothing beats having all 4 tires new.
    So... have you driven a FWD vehicle with worn tires?

Never had any issues with worn front tires. None. It's harder to accelerate in the rain, but that's preferable to being unstable in braking.

And yes, I've spun a car (in my younger days) and witnessed many spins and near spins due to having worn tires on the rear. Needless to say... hitting a telephone pole side on is much more dangerous than sliding into it head on. And if you have worn tires, you won't be sliding sideways off the road into that pole, you'll be sliding straight down the road.

Even tire manufacturers recommend putting worn tires in front IF you can't change all four at the same time.

Ang pagbalik ng comeback...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Tires with Diffrent Brands