New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysondin87 View Post
    Hi guys,

total noob here...

I sometimes drive a Civic 1.8 S A/T to and from work...

I was just wondering if it's OK to put the transmission in N when going down from higher terrain hehe (e.g. sa EDSA pag pababa at sobrang traffic) Syempre ginagawa ko neutral na lang tapos papabayaan ko na sya bumaba... then break na lang as necessary...

OK lang ba un? ^^

thanks thanks
    Ok lang yan basta wag ka lang magkamali ng shift sa reverse. Ang pinopoint out mo ba ay kung ito ba ay makakatipid sa gas pag nag free wheeling pababa? Well i definetly say partially correct because you are in the idle mode (neutral) pero wag kang lalampas ng 40kph sa free wheeling and then shift sa drive, you will experience high kickdown feel and could results in damaging your transmission eventually.

2. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysondin87 View Post
    Hi guys,

total noob here...

I sometimes drive a Civic 1.8 S A/T to and from work...

I was just wondering if it's OK to put the transmission in N when going down from higher terrain hehe (e.g. sa EDSA pag pababa at sobrang traffic) Syempre ginagawa ko neutral na lang tapos papabayaan ko na sya bumaba... then break na lang as necessary...

OK lang ba un? ^^

thanks thanks
    Ok lang yan basta wag ka lang magkamali ng shift sa reverse. Ang pinopoint out mo ba ay kung ito ba ay makakatipid sa gas pag nag free wheeling pababa? Well i definetly say partially correct because you are in the idle mode (neutral) pero wag kang lalampas ng 40kph sa free wheeling and then shift sa drive, you will experience high kickdown feel and could results in damaging your transmission eventually.:3rdplace:

3. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Pertaining to the original post, this practice is acceptable. Keeping it in D consumes more gas, while changing gears often puts unnecessary wear and tear on the shifter mechanism, valves and solenoids. For as long as it's just walking pace, you're fine free-wheeling in N.

As an added info, the lock-out mechanism on this Civic should prevent you from shifting to R without consciously depressing the shift-lock release.

On the Civic 1.8S A/T ("free" means that the shifter can be moved freely)

P -> R = brake pedal + shift-lock
    R -> N = free
    N -> D = free
    D -> D3 = free
    D3 -> 2 = shift-lock
    2 -> 1 = shift-lock

1 -> 2 = free
    2 -> D3 = free
    D3 - D = free
    D - N = free
    N -> R = shift-lock
    R -> P = shift-lock

4. Join Date
    Jan 2008
    even at high speed (say 100kph) you accidentally (or intentionally for purpose of experiment as i did) to put the transmission to N and immediately put it back to D, the transmission will just shift to the highest gear immediately..

engineers who designed your A/T are not dumb!! the A/T also senses your speed.. Gear shifting is also based on your current speed that is why sometimes when going down the road, even without stepping on the accelerator, your transmission will automatically shift to the next gear depending on the vehicle speed..

i already did this with a mazda 323 A/T and Honda city CVT, even shifting at 40 kph to R!! you will just feel engine brake and once you halt the car just move in reverse

5. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by yapoy86 View Post
    even at high speed (say 100kph) you accidentally (or intentionally for purpose of experiment as i did) to put the transmission to N and immediately put it back to D, the transmission will just shift to the highest gear immediately..

engineers who designed your A/T are not dumb!! the A/T also senses your speed.. Gear shifting is also based on your current speed that is why sometimes when going down the road, even without stepping on the accelerator, your transmission will automatically shift to the next gear depending on the vehicle speed..

i already did this with a mazda 323 A/T and Honda city CVT, even shifting at 40 kph to R!! you will just feel engine brake and once you halt the car just move in reverse
    The Honda Civic 5-speed A/T has grade logic and while going downhill with your foot off the gas pedal, it will down-shift to induce engine braking. If you give it gas and depending on how hard you step on it, it will immediately engage a gear that will work with your current speed.

6. Join Date
    Aug 2004
    only OJ88 makes the most sense here.
    keep up with the factual and logical replies.

7. Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Just try it and post another thread re: HELP!! :secret::soda:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
A/T Civic Question