New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

1. Join Date
    Apr 2016

Look at your Vtec Solenoid located behind the engine block.. notice there is missing Rocker Arm Oil Pressure Switch. I noticed this after researching the exact location of my "oil pressure switch leaked". There are supposed to be 2 kinds of oil pressure switch.. the one which is plugged in directly to the engine block below the vtec solenoid and the one on top of the vtec solenoid. Here is the missing one:

I called up Honda casa, they said walang rocker arm oil pressure switch sa taas ng atin vtec solenoid. When I asked them saan new location nun.. they didn't know.. it's possible parang wala..

It's supposed to no. 12 pero walang ganyan daw dito.

this is illustration of the location for Honda CRV 04

Hindi makalayo location ng vtec solenoid sa ibang Honda cars.. please look at your and see if meron rocker arm oil pressure switch...

anyone has a theory saan new location or if wala talaga.. bakit wala?

Thanks.

2. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Used to own an '08 Civic 1.8S. I've forgotten how many sensor switches it had surrounding the VTEC solenoid assembly, but I do remember there's one at the back facing the firewall. I think there was also one on top besides the solenoid but I can no longer be sure.

But if your car is missing it, there could be any number of reasons why. But sleep easy in that, if it was removed willy nilly, it will trigger a CEL. The fact that it did not set off an alarm means it's been removed by design.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by oj88; February 4th, 2018 at 09:43 AM.

3. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    If there is no CEL then i dont see the concern. Car makers delete some features especially on 3rd world countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by benchph1 View Post
    If there is no CEL then i dont see the concern. Car makers delete some features especially on 3rd world countries.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm not concerned of CEL, but just curious what functions the rocker arm oil pressure swtch serves and why removing it can still make it work.. what other parts of car ba in 3rd world countries where some parts are removed.. anyone has a list? This is just out of curiosity and not out of deep concern naman. Thank you.

5. Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Siguro inisip nila na hindi iindahin ng karamihan satin mga pinoy ang CEL...
    kaya binawasan na nila ang possible trigger ng CEL.

6. Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by k_leos View Post
    I'm not concerned of CEL, but just curious what functions the rocker arm oil pressure swtch serves and why removing it can still make it work.. what other parts of car ba in 3rd world countries where some parts are removed.. anyone has a list? This is just out of curiosity and not out of deep concern naman. Thank you.
    If I were venture a guess, it could be a feedback loop that tells the ECU that the solenoid is operating.... it's neither stuck open or closed. So if the switch is downstream of the solenoid, it will report zero or low pressure with the solenoid closed but reports high pressure when the solenoid valve is open.

If it was upstream of the solenoid, it could probably be telling the ECU if there's enough oil pressure to operate the VTEC before actually engaging it. Either that or, it will read a lower pressure when the VTEC actually engages.

We live in a part of the world that is price-sensitive. Car manufacturers may remove certain bits that are either unnecessary, non-essential, or otherwise doesn't affect the performance of the vehicle, to lower the cost.

There's no ONE list on what parts are removed. Don't forget, there's also the concept of different trim levels. But I've been driving for the better part of three decades and these are some of the things off the top of my head that I've seen removed in our models compared to say, the models in the US:

1. Floor A/C vents for rear passengers
    2. Cabin heater
    3. Cabin filters
    4. Underchassis plastic covers
    5. Hood and/or trunk lining
    6. Side and/or window air bags
    7. ABS, EBD, EBA, stability control, autonomous braking
    8. Cruise control
    ... and the list goes on.
    Last edited by oj88; February 5th, 2018 at 04:46 PM.