New and Used Car Talk Reviews Hot Cars Comparison Automotive Community

The Largest Car Forum in the Philippines

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    i ping my car's engine off redline almost every day that i use it (the BMW, not my wife's SUV), usually on the florida freeway onramps.

it should not be a problem IMO if you have let the oil warm up to operating temps (this is why oil temp gauges are critical), you change the oil frequently, and in my case, you let the car idle a bit to cool down before shutting off (my car is FI). if i'm dead wrong i'll let you know if i grenade the engine

but i really don't think it's a problem. i drive my cars hard and keep them at least 10 years. i believe that the reason that they continue to pull strong into their old age is because i regularly give them the old "Italian tuneup"

2. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by empy View Post
    i ping my car's engine off redline almost every day that i use it (the BMW, not my wife's SUV), usually on the florida freeway onramps.

it should not be a problem IMO if you have let the oil warm up to operating temps (this is why oil temp gauges are critical), you change the oil frequently, and in my case, you let the car idle a bit to cool down before shutting off (my car is FI). if i'm dead wrong i'll let you know if i grenade the engine

but i really don't think it's a problem. i drive my cars hard and keep them at least 10 years. i believe that the reason that they continue to pull strong into their old age is because i regularly give them the old "Italian tuneup"
    but would it be different with BMWs and Hondas or other makes?

3. Join Date
    Apr 2007
    dun sa question mo about sa pag rev ng 2.4L CR-V.. ok lang na i rev yun ng mataas. K24 ang makina nun. DOHC pa.

yung 2004 Civic 2.0 ng kapatid ko palagi kong pinapa hataw pag nasa hi way ako. Ako lang gumagawa nun kasi babae yung kapatid kong may ari nung Civic. wala syang lakas ng loob eh.. hehehe.. once napa abot ko ng 200KPH yung speed sa NLEX.

masarap pakinggan ang K20 at K24 pag nag engage ang VTEC.

yung Civic 1.8 ko naman siguro gagawin ko yun after 1 month check up.

4. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    i know someone sa states with a Benz E240 2.6L SOHC A/T... and everyday talaga pinapatakbo ng redline when accelerating. I guess its just normal for them. Whether nagmamadali or hindi, talagang pedal to the metal... So parating umaabot ng redline and dun nagshishift yung A/T. They just ease on the pedal once cruising speed na. But di napapansin kasi quiet pa rin sa loob. Matagal na rin yung car and tumatakbo pa rin...

I also know someone here who has a BMW 3 series. Redline rin talaga every chance he gets...

Is that the advantage of getting german cars?

5. Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by marv25 View Post
    but would it be different with BMWs and Hondas or other makes?
    not at all. i did the same thing with a Honda Civic that i owned for 12 years and almost 200,000 miles. just maintain it painstakingly (scheduled oil changes, tune ups, services, timing belt changes etc) and never rev it over the redline and you'll be fine.

6. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    yeah i never rev it over the redline...

but is it true that it is good to rev any car close to redline once in a while to remove carbon deposits?

7. Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Starex_Gold View Post
    dun sa question mo about sa pag rev ng 2.4L CR-V.. ok lang na i rev yun ng mataas. K24 ang makina nun. DOHC pa.

yung 2004 Civic 2.0 ng kapatid ko palagi kong pinapa hataw pag nasa hi way ako. Ako lang gumagawa nun kasi babae yung kapatid kong may ari nung Civic. wala syang lakas ng loob eh.. hehehe.. once napa abot ko ng 200KPH yung speed sa NLEX.

masarap pakinggan ang K20 at K24 pag nag engage ang VTEC.
    ingat lang sa connecting rod kung parati ka hataw... k series engines are known to break this piece of metal if exerted with too much force.

8. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    as i said know your "ENGINE BUILD" and rev it up where it is giving power.

Revving your engine to redline at neutral is an out of the world idea (vtec will not engage, waste of fuel, damage, et al) and vtec3 engine is not a powerful engine as compared to b16 or b18c5, it is not a race tune engine, and neither it will sustain power right up to the end of the redline.

again if you want to have a reliable high revving engine that can live at redline or a high revving engine (8k rpm or 11krpm)that will still deliver power- tune it up, upgrade, build it properly, know your honda engine. i never find such a good honda engine to start building other than JDM b16 and the mighty b18c5. Although these engines are in existence since 80's they are still the widely used engines by tuners.

A properly build and properly tune engine will give you a license to live beyond stock redline of 8000 rpm, you can climb as far as 11k rpm with no fears and worry. That's full VTEC power!

Remember honda is making power by revving high and VTEC live at high RPM, its a factory design to be there (no vtec at low rpm). Dont make your honda VTEC a mere paper design, engage it even for a while by hitting 5500 RPM or 6000 RPM (depending on your ecu) and when your ECU senses all element for VTEC to engage, live it up!

9. Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jomarijoma View Post
    as i said know your "ENGINE BUILD" and rev it up where it is giving power.

Revving your engine to redline at neutral is an out of the world idea (vtec will not engage, waste of fuel, damage, et al) and vtec3 engine is not a powerful engine as compared to b16 or b18c5, it is not a race tune engine, and neither it will sustain power right up to the end of the redline.

again if you want to have a reliable high revving engine that can live at redline or a high revving engine (8k rpm or 11krpm)that will still deliver power- tune it up, upgrade, build it properly, know your honda engine. i never find such a good honda engine to start building other than JDM b16 and the mighty b18c5. Although these engines are in existence since 80's they are still the widely used engines by tuners.

A properly build and properly tune engine will give you a license to live beyond stock redline of 8000 rpm, you can climb as far as 11k rpm with no fears and worry. That's full VTEC power!

Remember honda is making power by revving high and VTEC live at high RPM, its a factory design to be there (no vtec at low rpm). Dont make your honda VTEC a mere paper design, engage it even for a while by hitting 5500 RPM or 6000 RPM (depending on your ecu) and when your ECU senses all element for VTEC to engage, live it up!
    im actually the only one who "uses" the vtec on this car. everyone else driving it doesnt even go beyond 3000 (no kidding)... parang useless yung vtec before i started driving this car.

At what RPM does vtec engage? and am i right na vtec3 is 3-stage vtec and it engages at 3 different rpm points?

I have no intention to upgrade anything on my engine, or race or anything... im doing it just for the fun of it... so with my stock 1.6 vtec3 sohc engine, wheres the peak power point and shift point? and where do you think i should limit my rpm?

10. Join Date
    Oct 2008
    [SIZE=2]3-stage VTEC[/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Examine the SOHC VTEC and SOHC VTEC-E implementations. The clever Honda engineers saw that it is a logical step to merge the two implementations into one. This is in essence the 3-stage VTEC implementation. 3-stage VTEC is implemented on the D series SOHC engine in which the VTEC-E mechanism is combined with the power VTEC mechanism. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Many of us probably has laughed at the poor ignorant layman who said "I want power AND economy from my Honda". We know of course that power and economy are mutually exclusive implementations. Honda decided not to abide by this rule. Now, with 3-stage VTEC, we get BOTH power and economy !. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]
    [/SIZE][SIZE=2]The intake rocker arms have two VTEC pin actuation mechanisms. The VTEC-E actuation assembly is located above the camshaft while the VTEC (power) actuation assembly is the standard wild-cam lobe and rocker assembly. [/SIZE]Below 2500rpm and with gentle accelerator pressure, neither pin gets actuated. The engine operates in 12V mode with very good fuel combustion efficiency. When the right foot gets more urgent and/or above 2500rpm, the upper pin gets actuated. This is the VTEC-E mechanism at work and the engine effectively enters into the '2nd stage'. 3-stage works in 16V mode (both intake valves works from the same mild cam-lobe).
    [SIZE=2]Stage 2 operates from around 2500rpm to 6000rpm. When the rpm exceeds 6000rpm, the VTEC mechanism activates the wild cam-lobe pushing the engine into the '3rd stage', the power stage. Now the engine gives us the full benefit of its 130ps potential ! [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]The 3-stage VTEC D series engine is used on the current EK-series JDM Civic/Civic Ferio VTi/Vi together with Honda's new Multimatic CVT transmission. Stage-1 12V or "lean-burn" operation mode. The 2500rpm cutover from lean-burn to normal 16V operation in fact varies according to load and driver requirements. With gentle driving, lean-burn can operate up to 3000rpm or higher. Stage-3 may not always be activated. In Economy mode for eg, the ECU operates with a max rpm of around 4800rpm even at Wide-Open-Throttle positions. [/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]The essence of 3-stage VTEC is power AND economy implemented on a 1.6l SOHC PGM-Fi engine. Many people mistakes 3-stage VTEC as a "superior" evolution of the power born/oriented DOHC VTEC B16 implementation, describing DOHC VTEC as "the older 2-stage VTEC" and implying an inferior relationship. This is totally wrong because DOHC VTEC B16/B18C is tuned purely for high specific output and sports/racing requirements with stock hp of 160 for B16 & hp of 200 for B18c5. I've seen a tuned B18c5 NA giving a high power output of whopping 290WHP!

3-stage VTEC is in truth an evolution of SOHC VTEC and VTEC-E, merging the two implementations into one. The stage-3 is merely a starting midrange power of B18c5. No wonder why the Phil version of B16, SiR, remain upbeat, much more the legendary Integra Type R (b18c5). In the end of 80's this B series engines disappeared with a bang and the NSX Honda V6 DOHC Vtec (280hp) intended by honda to be the highest level DOHC Vtec was abandoned?

So common revving 1.6 sohc around 6000 is very normal to your sohc engine, it is merely a starting power point of your vtec stage-3, your sohc can sustain 6k rpm nothing to worry it is designed to be there. Your ECU will limit engine power when it could no longer deliver power at specific rpm.

Honda B series engine is very amazing, it leaves the tuners a lot of room to tweak for more power & torque beyond red line
    [/SIZE]

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Revving to redline: does it strain the engine?